What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Heck I'm a step ahead of ya... I have caching disabled to begin with.

and no, it doesn't slow me down one bit, surprisingly. I expected that it would and that it wouldn't be a tweak I'd stick with. But it doesn't.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah that's clever and effective. I use only use ABP and NoScript by the way.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, I had it disabled, too, but found that it slowed me down on some sites (usually portals or newspaper sites) I frequently visit. Allowing a "session cache" is a compromise like allowing session cookies which I'm willing to accept.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Just add Fanboy's Ultimate List. And nothing else.

5. luciddream

I think most people in here, as seriously as they take security, would trade some for usability. I know I would. If my browsing habits made it so that denying cookies or disabling my cache made things inconvenient, it wouldn't be that way.

6. luciddream

I may just do that...

7. blaze x

blaze x Registered Member

werent you using requestpolicy? what happened to that, too annoying? lol

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

RequestPolicy is not needed when I've got NoScript. Maybe I'll try it again when v1.0 comes out. It will come with some new features I hear.

9. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Welcome.:)

11. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

13. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Anyone have any experience with PrivacyFix extension mentioned here and here?

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

securelogin (on of the best extention for me) is dead ,i won't be developed no more
    is there an alternative?

thanks

15. kupo

kupo Registered Member

URLFilter
    Author claims it is using much less memory than Adblock Plus, so if you are using a netbook and want to reserve ram as much as possible, you can use this as an alternative.

16. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Same question here.

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

For me the must have extensions are Adblock Plus & LastPass.:cool:

18. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

19. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

@ ChrisRetUSN (spelled that way because I'm guessing Chris, Retired U.S. Navy):

I use LastPass. I'm not sure if it does the same thing as the plugin that you mention. It basically stores (and can generate strong) passwords. It can automatically sign in to pages for you, to save you time. It appears to use good encryption to store the passwords. The other nice thing is that if there is something else you need to remember you can store it as a secure note in your so-called LastPass Vault. Once set up you will need only remember your master password. I really like it.

-HandsOff

P.S. - one more, for photographers there are two plugins, "Exif Viewer" and "Exify" that are quite handy. If you don't know what EXIF means you probably are not interested:)

20. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Not a fan of "cloud" password storage. That said I have looked at LastPass just can't bring my self to use it. Perhaps someday.

I eventually dumped Secure Login because it's now under the control of Abine, Inc; a company I do not trust. A secondary reason was lack of updates, a tertiary reason, it was failing on some sites. I bought in to Secure Login because it was convenient (One button login) and reportedly "more secure" than just simply using the built in Firefox password manager. Now that I am back at using the built in password manager, I feel the "more secure" was just "in name".

Convenience wise, using the default is not so bad, on some sites the login data is already filled in so it's still one click login. On sites like Wilder's I only need to enter the first character of my login to get a suggested login, clicking that adds the password. This does not work on all sites, but I have found and extensions that does, at least I have not found a site it does not work on. That extension is QuickPasswords :: Add-ons for Firefox. It not one button login but it's still better that having to type. ;)

Other add-ons I use that are password related are:
    Password Exporter :: Add-ons for Firefox
    Saved Password Editor :: Add-ons for Firefox
    Show My Password :: Add-ons for Firefox

I regularly (scheduled dailies) backup my /home directory and use FEBE :: Add-ons for Firefox to backup as needed. On top of that I have my own Firefox Sync server.

I used KeePass for a while and will probably go back it. I put my self in a bind with KeePass though, I have a password database I cannot access, in addition to a passphrase it needed a key file to open, unfortunate for me, the key file was wiped from the USB stick it was stored on. Yes, stupid me, no backups, even sadder, the key file was really overkill on my part. Lucky for me, most of what was stored in that now worthless password file was stored in Firefox's password manager. :oops: Have I learned my lesson? Probably not, been at this stuff since the late sixties, every once in a while stupid bites me in the rear. :)

@HandsOff, you guessed correctly.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  21. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Session Manager - useful for backing up last open pages when a Firefox session crashes. :thumb:

22. silat

silat Registered Member

Lazarus.

23. niki

niki Registered Member

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/about-addons-memory/?src=ss

Not necessarily a must have extension though, just out of curiosity it's worth it.

24. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Just discovered Cookie Manager Plus. You can edit the expiration date of cookies, essentially making them last forever, or for the rest of your life anyway. :D Great for sites you wanna stay logged in to.

25. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

This extension may have been posted if so i apologize for re-posting. I've not had much experience with these User Agent tools, but when i found this then discovered how versatile it was i thought I'd share it. After downloading you have the option to import user agents, you should see the list.. :argh:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/?src=search

Enjoy!
    Hogndog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.