What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

My Must Have extensions:

Ghostery
    TeaBiscuit
    WOT (Web Of Trust)

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Either one, I suppose... Or both, who knows... :) I just happen to like DNT+; just a preference.

3. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

big thanks for sharing Moonblood,

I had already AdBlock Plus with Fanboy add-ons and I forgot also to mention 'Https Everywhere' add-ons but I will try RequestPolicy and DNT+.

Did you tried ghostery ?

If you plan to install Anonymizer Nevercookie, FF will disable due to incompatibility with the latest feature of FF 13. To bypass, look at this :

http://www.fun2friend.com/topic/65969-disable-addon-compatibility-check-option-in-firefox-13/

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  4. Ashanta

I've just installed RequestPolicy and DNT +

RequestPolicy is great add--on ! :)

I'm trying to compare Ghostery and DNT + working together: this last one doesn't detect anything.

I pause Ghostery and reload a site that Ghostery detected 2 tracking attempts means DNT + only detected one.

PS: To Moonblood, Ghostery detected also Omniture and block it.

5. Ashanta

Request Policy + Ghostery is the best combo for me:it blocks all tracking sites.
    You should try it ;)

6. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Google/Yandex search link fix 1.4
    by Wladimir Palant
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-search-link-fix/

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I just tried it on my Google Bookmarks page but I can't get it to work.

Here's an actual url:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/how-to-enable-ubuntus-global-menu-in-xubuntu-11-10/

I have it listed in my Google bookmarks. When I hover over the entry in Google Bookmarks, I see the correct url in a tooltip but if I right-click and copy-paste, I get this:
    https://www.google.com/bookmarks/ur...atiQesrNykBg&sig2=N_e81f1Lk8yY6hmIksDX2A&ct=b

8. operamail

operamail Registered Member

9. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

What I'm using right now:

Adblock Plus
    Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
    CS Lite Mod
    Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
    Ghostery
    HTTPS-Everywhere
    KeyScrambler
    NoScript
    RequestPolicy
    WOT

... and for the record, my browser is quicker with these addons than without. It takes 6-7 seconds longer to boot, but browsing is much snappier = less junk loading on pages & less connections.

*in before someone makes some remark about all of them slowing me down*

10. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

What do you give direct access in Sandboxie for NoScript?How do you maintain whitelist or blacklist of NoScript while using Sandboxie?
    Also mention the same for ABP and ABP Popup Addon.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I use Adblock Plus and NoScript. Browsing is much faster now.

But tell me luciddream, how much does RequestPolicy overlap with NoScript in your opinion, observation and knowledge?

12. operamail

Add those lines to the your Firefox sandbox:
    Code:
    OpenFilePath=firefox.exe,*\adblockplus\*
    OpenFilePath=firefox.exe,*\NoScriptSTS

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Will letting plugin-container.exe access to the internet and start/run in the Firefox sandbox do?:doubt:

14. operamail

No, that won't help. You have to grant direct access to those files or folders for firefox.exe if you want your blocklist/whitelist to be saved.

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see. Then thanks for the code. :thumb: I don't have any whitelist/blocklist so not granting direct access anyways. ;)

16. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you like to allow Direct access to "Options" in NoScript, allowing access to "prefs.js" is all that's needed. You ll find this file in your Mozilla Firefox profile folder.

Personally, I prefer to make changes out of the sandbox, I don't use this setting.

For Adblock, allowing access to the Adblock folder is not necessary. You can get done what you want by allowing access to "Patterns". This file is located inside the Adblock folder located in the Mozilla Firefox profile folder.

As with NoScript, I do changes out of the sandbox.

Bo

17. bo elam

Luciddream, I use NoScript and Adblock plus. Those two addons together block pretty much all popups. The way I have it now, I only see one or two popups a year. Maybe, you are not getting anything out of the Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon.

Bo

18. luciddream

I've used NS for 5+ years, and only recently (a few months ago) added RP. So it became quickly apparent to me that it blocks a lot of things NS didn't previously. Mostly pictures. There may be quite a bit of overlap too, but it's definitely a keeper for me. Maybe it's not blocking much for people because they load some of those default lists? I don't. I add just the US list, then trim it down quite a bit leaving only a few left apply to me (namely Amazon).

19. luciddream

I grabbed the addon pretty much on account of 1 popup in particular. It came from a torrent site I used regularly, and was such a nuissance it made it worth it just to block that 1 thing. Nothing else did. It's rarely needed, but there are some things it will block that NS & ABP won't. Since it's not slowing me down, it's worth it to cover those albeit rare situations. I want 0 popups a year... not 1 or 2 ; ) And you can set the default rule to block all popups. This will make it block any popup whether it's listed on any of your sub. lists or not, which is comforting.

20. luciddream

Others have given you good advice here. It doesn't apply to me personally since I don't white/black list anything in NS. I temp. allow per case, and rarely have to allow scripts for my browsing. With Element Hiding Helper for ABP I sometimes have to run unsandboxed to add new rules, rarely. And this problem came up using HTTPS Finder (running sanboxed). It rendered the addon quite a nuisance, so I just ran unsandboxed and went to every site I frequent (bookmarks), added those rules to HTTPS-Everywhere, then deleted the addon. Checking for HTTPS for every single site = slowdown I don't want.

And I hate allowing direct access to anything in Sandboxie. To me it goes against the entire concept of sandboxing, or a large portion of it anyway. I don't even like doing it for bookmarks.

21. luciddream

I used to use BetterPrivacy too, but now that Firefox is able to detect & remove flash cookies, it rendered the addon unnecessary to me.

Also I use an about:config tweak to handle referrers instead of RefControl. But certainly if you want per case/granular control, it's a useful addon. I personally block all.

22. luciddream

I just realized that that "one popup" I used to get is indeed covered by EasyList now. Not to mention I don't use that site anymore. The Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon has been removed... that's one more down, shortening my list to 9 things.

I've also removed the "Antisocial" sub. list. After further review, I'm just not on sites that have buttons to link that stuff often enough to justify having that list. Those Facebook/Twitter buttons do annoy me, but I rarely see them.

So my list is now:

Adblock Plus (EasyList & EasyPrivacy filters only)
    CS Lite Mod
    Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
    Ghostery (3pes blocking only)
    HTTPS-Everywhere
    Keyscrambler
    NoScript
    RequestPolicy
    WOT (negative results only, no popups)

... and I think these are all keepers.

I can even tell a slight difference with 1 less addon and 2 less sub lists. A tad snappier.

23. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

NoScript
    LastPass

BTW, I find no compelling reason to use AB Plus if NoScript is carefully and strategically configured. In my own setup, I see very few ads or adverts. Sure, I could block a few more but the tradeoff of running another extension to do so is not worth it, at least imho. Doesn't running fewer extensions increase the browser's speed and stability? Also, With a few exceptions, 3rd party cookies are blocked.

24. moontan

moontan Registered Member

my feelings exactly.
    the only addon i run is NoScript.
    the less of these things running the better.

both for performance and security.

25. bo elam

NoScript does block most of the contents that I want to block but sometimes Adblock becomes handy when I cant use NoScript to block something. NoScript doesn't block annotations on Youtube videos, something that I cant stand. Thanks to an Adblock filter, I am able to block them. The result is a clean video with no ads, suggestions or messages written on them.

"Must have"
    NoScript
    Adblock

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.