What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, I tried it and found that I had to allow JS in FF in order to load a pdf. That's not what I want.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I used Ghostery for at least a couple of years. Back then it was light, unobtrusive & did its job without bugging me. Now it seems way too complex & updates (& needs to tell me about it) every other day or so. One of the reasons I like *MSE so much is that it is simple & doesn't bug me. I use DNT+ now on Chrome instead of Ghostery. It does its job (stopping bugs) & doesn't bug me.

*In case this is moderated as being off-topic, I would like to point out that my comparison with MSE is an analogy.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx dave.

i tried Ghostery and thought it was pretty good.
    there seems to be some overlap with NoScript though.

by overlap, i mean pretty much the same tracking companies appears in both apps for the same site, in general.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, Ghostery is an excellent educational tool, but if you are pretty savvy with NoScript Ghostery is a bit redundant. I think Ghostery finds & blocks more trackers than DNT+, especially in Firefox. However, I have tried to keep my portable Firefox (primarily for our work laptops) as light & simple as possible. NoScript tends to complicate things for it, although I do use NS normally.

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx for the input Dave! :thumb:

6. carat

carat Guest

I see but do you think it's a good alternative to avoid PDF exploits? :doubt: As we know there are several exploit kits for Adobe PDF plugin ...

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's still under heavy development. And it is called pdf.js.

8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

After quite a while trying out alternatives to AdBlock Plus, I've returned to it.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Did you try AdBlock, and if so, how did it compare in your opinion?

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Haven't tried that. What I was using for quite a while was SimpleBlock together with Privoxy. I also tried Karma Blocker but never got the hang of it.

12. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

13. Function

Function Registered Member

Could you please explain what this does, in some detail.

I get the idea of what a Refer is and how it works (somewhat) but why would this be needed and how does it help protect your security and privacy.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

15. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Detail I cannot provide, but this is what I saw that attracted me:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/smart-referer-disable-referral-links-except-on-the-same-domain/
    Neither can I say how effective it is. Perhaps others can test/try.

16. tlu

tlu Guest

I haven't tried it but from its description it seems to be less flexible than RefControl which I've been using for years. Its usage is explained here. If you chose to block 3rd party requests only (as suggested on that site) you should get what SmartReferer does.

17. guest

guest Guest

For the record, RefControl allows to block 3rd party requests only as well.

18. Function

Function Registered Member

From the looks of it with RefControl you have to manually enter every site you want this to have a effect on. (Unless I am missing something here, just going by the screenshots).

I will just stick with Smart Referrer. I did the test as in a post above and it works. No need for me to choose which website for it to work for.

19. tlu

tlu Guest

No, you completely misunderstood. Read this site carefully. You only have to add sites to the list for which you want the default policy NOT to be applied. These are normally sites that require 3rd party requests in order to work properly, so they have to be added to the list as exceptions. I believe that this can't be done with SmartReferer.

20. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Anybody familiar with Firemin (memory usage management)?

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Is anyone familar with a similar extension to Nimi Web Cleaner (Chrome extension that blocks ads and trackers based on regular expressions) for Firefox?

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Why the insistence on regex? There's nothing special about regex, AFAICT. Regex can easily have unintended consequences and making successful exceptions to regex isn't the simplest thing. From what I saw of Nimi, one had to depend on the author's lists in any case.

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, the main reason being that I actually like Nimi Web Cleanser. It may break something, but it does allow exclusions in a per-site basis, for the different shields. But, is there anything not breaking anything? :D

Anyway, was just wondering if there's anything similar for Firefox?

By the way, apparently Do Not Track Plus for Firefox, by Abine, also allows to add Internet Explorer TPLs, but only from one of Microsoft TPL URLs. I don't recall which one; but, you can't add TPLs from Fanboy's website, for instance.

24. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Try looking at Karma Blocker

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Have you tried it and are you using it? I did for a while and have a thread somewhere here. I found it quite difficult to understand.

SimpleBlock is easier but getting the exceptions right is tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.