What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I have not either, I guess I do not visit the same sort of sites like you... probably some "free" pr0n? :p

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I came across a thread in the ABP forum that indicated something similar and one site has been mentioned in the code provided by the third post from the top.

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I wonder if this was one.

But I thought Palant would have become a bit more thick-skinned over the years :D

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Nah, pron sites are actually good about ad-blocking..script blocking is an entirely different matter. Most websites that require ads to not be blocked are streaming media sites, such as Live365 I posted in an earlier response, tv-film streaming websites, things like that. I'm sure you'll still run into the occasional tiny website that relies on ads to make money, but they seem to show up less and less. And, if they do, well, it's really too bad. If it weren't for tracking/malicious ads, there wouldn't be a need for these blockers (except for those rats that create scrolling ads that follow you down the page, or full-screen pop-up/Flash ads...there's a particularly hot rock in Hell for them).

@Mr PC: While you make a good point, in practical use trying to hunt down a troublesome filter on a website ABP is causing issues with, is a very large PITA

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I highly doubt that thread caused the meltdown, lol. If it did, his skin is paper thin. I'm not even sure what the Lorenzo C thing was about, that person wasn't having the issue, another guy was. I must admit that there would be no fracking way I would allow some random dev to play with my system remotely. Anyway, bringing this back on topic :D

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, not coming back for sure to such site, if I ever hit it. There are zillions of others to browse. :p

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Concerning Privacy Apps for Firefox.

PrivacySuite @ Mozilla

@dw426 ~ "No, but I may give it a try. How is the Chrome version "simpler"? Less information given to users, or just simpler to set up?"

Basically less information given to users. It is more like Ghostery for Chrome (Ghostery for Firefox is also simpler). The Firefox version of PrivacySuite is much more comprehensive, take a look at the screenshots in the first link I posted here. I must admit it looks very sophisticated & effective (perhaps I should have spent more time with it). It's worth checking out. I may have a better look at it when I have more time. I'm a great fan of 'plug & play' & this probably needs a bit of time to get your head around it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I see, okay. Actually I did some searching and I don't see PrivacySuite over in Chromes extension library. Is it named something else? I'm using ChromeBlock on v10, from the same company. Would that be their Chrome version?

9. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

That's where GreaseMonkey comes to rescue!

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What script in GreaseMonkey do you use to solve such issues?

11. Sadeghi85

I don't use any particular script for that purpose as I haven't run into such issues yet, but my point is it's the job of GreaseMonkey to solve that. If you search userscripts.org you'll see scripts written for specific sites, you might find one for the site you're experiencing that problem with. Infact I found one for live365, not sure if it still works! -http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/8794

12. Sadeghi85

I used Locationbar² with Fx4 betas but it was buggy, smart text works ok and looks like to have more options.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, it must be this. I believe Chromeblock actually includes Abine TACO.

I have been comparing Chromeblock with Ghostery on Iron. It's too early to come to any real conclusions yet, but I do like Chromeblock.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, if I remember Ghostery well enough, they block a good deal more trackers than what seems to be in ChromeBlocks' list.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I ended up just disabling AdBlock for Live365. There weren't really any ads being blocked there anyway, just a certain script that kept the stream from functioning. I've done this a few other places as well. It uglies up the pages sometimes with "Website cannot be found" messages where ads are supposed to load, but eh, it's better than doing the needle in a haystack way of sorting through what filter is causing what problem. With a few thousand entries, it makes dealing with NoScript look fun :D

16. Sadeghi85

You can click on ABP icon > Open blockable items, it shows active filters on that page in red, there shouldn't be more than a few on any given page.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So the red ones are the only scripts being blocked, and, therefore, the only ones I need to investigate? (I've never dug deep into ABP before, lol, I'm learning new stuff here. Up until lately, ABP never kept things from working.)

18. Sadeghi85

Yes.

You can disable the red ones one by one, and when you find the one you want to unblock just right click on it and select "Disable filter xxxx", then enable all the others. If that filter is a general one(like /ads.php?) then choose "Add exception rule for item..." or simply hit Enter, customize the rule to your liking then click on Add filter.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yeesh :D I just went to a couple of websites that I had issues with. It was um, fun, clicking each one and refreshing the page, lol.

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Why? It is just a 'Try & Error' process that doesn't take much time:
    Disable all Filters and then Enable them (one-by-one) to see which one(s) cause(s) the trouble.
    Each time, Refreshing the Page is essential.

Attached Files:

21. tlu

tlu Guest

Locationbar2 works well for me with FF4 but I like Smarttext better - thanks for the hint :thumb:

22. tlu

tlu Guest

I tried it some time ago and it seemed too overloaded for me. Besides, the table in the first link is questionable. Opts-out of ad networks is natively supported by FF4 (and also by AdblockPlus and Noscript) - this feature is superfluous. Web trackers are blocked by AdblockPlus (chose the EasyPrivacy subscription) and Noscript (enable that feature under Options -> Advanced -> Untrusted). The details about BetterPrivacy are not correct, IMHO: BetterPrivacy doesn't block/manage HTTP cookies (you need something like the very good and flexible Cookie Monster for this), but it manages DOM cookies according to their documentation (and contrary to what the table says). Altogether, I don't need the Privacy Suite as all features are covered by other extensions (or by FF itself) which I use anyhow.

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

does somebody know when adblock reload the filters ?
    every 5 days , is there a tweak to auto load every day (once at day)

24. Sadeghi85

:thumb:

Not that flexible though, it doesn't show what cookies are blocked, also the implementation is too simple, if you temporarily allow a site and then Fx crashes, cookies remain there and CM assumes you have permanently allowed that site. But still, I use it too as there isn't a better cookie management add-on atm.

25. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It was troublesome because that wasn't the way I was doing it :D I sat there looking at the red blocked filters and was enabling them one by one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.