What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Oh damnnn its soo simple
    right click on tab and pin as app tab thats it !!!!
    and i did the same for gmail too

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Ouch. I've seen such a response by another 'friend' of mine. Anyway, from what I can tell (personal judgment here), Memory Fox isn't a tricky malware.

Based on my understanding, PrevX, Hitman Pro and other security software which have aggressive heuristics or may either be a HIPS or have HIPS-like component would 'detect' or 'alert' you of it due to it's nature of being an executable located at Firefox Profile Folder which tries to access the memory of other apps if you set it to "Memory Recovery For All Running Application Processes". If you un-check the option, it should abide by your setting (unless there's a bug). Just set your security software to allow,'trust', or ignore it.

I trust the developer...you can see his post here on MozillaZine.

More info here: http://www.browsermemory.com/
    Privacy Policy

I would have used AFOM ("the elder brother") from the same developer, IDEVFH but it's no longer supporting Firefox beyond V3.6. There's no point if anyone here is thinking of force-installing that by skipping compatibility check since it simply won't work even if you manage to get it installed.

I'm not trying to convince anyone it's 'malware-free' if you really think it isn't. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and I'm merely stating mine as it is.

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Memory Fox is not malware. We believe you but mimic such actions, which make it look like malware. Prevx detects it as malware. I reported it as FP, but they might have more evidence about its malicious nature.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Any replacement for Keyscrambler for use in FF4 Beta?

5. IDEVFH

IDEVFH Registered Member

"Memory Fox" 5.2 continues to run after the exit of Firefox so as the global processes can be accessed for memory recovery and retention. If you've got the Event logging checked on from the Options dialog it will access the Windows Event server. I am waiting for Mozilla to mature the Gecko 2.0 so as I can rebuild "Memory Fox" under the XPCOM and "AFOM" as well.

My suggestion to any users would be that to determine any malicious intent on the part of "AFOM" or "Memory Fox" is to check the Inbound/Outbound of the TCP/IP connection with a packet sniffer to validate such claims.

Professional developers would without reservation spot improper activity for any such add-on hosting on AMO Mozilla.

Thanks for all of you that do use "Memory Fox" or "AFOM" for memory recovery !

Special thanks to users ( safeguy ) and ( Boyfriend ) for the information concerning and supporting the usage intention of "AFOM" or "Memory Fox" !

Feel free to email me for any follow ups : idevfh@gmail.com
    Regards,
    IDEVFH

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks IDEVFH for your reply :) I use Memory Fox because I do believe you people. It is running right now on my Firefox installation.

7. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Last pass and xmarks dont like each other ?

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just installed - SimilarWeb - Sites Recommendation
    after it was installed i right-clicked on the toolbar>customise and dragged it to my toolbar.

now when i'm on some cool website i can find a whole lot more of them, quickly and easily.

the preferences have a lot of options, including good privacy and security options and encryption under advanced settings.

here are his other addons, i'm going to try some out!
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/4010224/

here's a picture i took of SimilarWeb doing the business.

View attachment 223486

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  9. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

I just found BarTab extension, it'll load background tabs only when they are selected, good for those who open lots of tabs to read them later.

Also found an updated Tab History, Tab History Redux. I really missed that extension.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

AdBlock Plus and the Element Hider, Dom Inspector, Stylish.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Open in Browser is very useful.

12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, it might be worth keeping an eye on. Sometimes I have had problems with the ABP filters, & not being an anorak, I don't always know what the problem is. ;)

AFAIK there's no SeaMonkey version anyway ... :(

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

One could always ask at the forum; no dress code.

Re. SM, DKDC.

16. Daveski17

Yeah, good thinking. :thumb:

Although to be honest, the anoraks tend to know all the answers (otherwise they wouldn't be anoraks in the first place). So I hope there are plenty there ... ;)

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I hope there's no circular logic involved but people over there do take issues raised seriously. There's also healthy competition among the maintainers of various lists. So there's good chance of a solution if one exists.

18. Daveski17

At the moment ABP is working fine on SeaMonkey (all computers, portables etc). However, I will look into this further. :thumb:

19. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

This add-on sends all the urls you visit for the first time to their server, although this make it faster than ABP on older computers or netbooks, I wouldn't trust it.

This effectively means they decide what to block, while with Element Hiding Helper add-on and subscription lists you decide what to block.

20. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the information. :thumb:

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

The same happens with Search Engines, doesn't it?
    Not to mention about ISPs, Government & Police Authorities etc.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I don't get why or how the add-on can then be faster than ABP or Privoxy which both do the blocking "at home".

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Very true. But then you have people not "trusting" Google and using Scroogle, whatever.

24. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Yes, if a Search Engine keeps a log file with the user's IP, it is the end of the world....
    All the sites people visit do the same, and all ISPs do the same.
    So what? o_O

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Exactly, it doesn't bother me but judging by the number of "privacy" posts, it does bother a lot of people.

Now what about the other issue. Why or how will AdBan be quicker / more efficient than existing blockers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.