What Are The Differences Over Ghost?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DasFox, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Basically speaking what is the difference between making a Acronis backup image and a Ghost, like Symantecs?

I personally thought the name Ghost was just a loose term to mean making a exact copy image of the system was all, and that between Acronis and Norton Ghost they where pretty much doing the same thing.

THANKS

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

The intent of both IS the same ... to give you a way to recover your system.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Apart from some features they do attempt to do the same thing, primarily to make an image backup. I prefer TI because I don't care much Symantec's implementation and it is a shame that the good name of Peter Norton who gained fame as a DOS utility writer is attached to some of their stuff.

Ghost is a tradename and the original holders of the name Ghost were bought out by Symantec a few years ago. I may be wrong but I think Ghost was the first or certainly a pioneer in the fast imaging technology. Symantec later bought out PowerQuest and incorporated its Drive Image technology in the current versions of Ghost.

Although I wouldn't say it is common, some people do use Ghost as a verb to mean make an exact image. Such is life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.