What apps do you run sandboxed?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Overkill, May 3, 2016.

1. I run Chromium sandboxed three times : AppArmor, Firejail and its own Sandbox :argh:

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Not many here: Chrome (64 bit), USBFlashDrives, Downloads, AdobeReader. When I plug in third party USB Flashdrives I also launch Shadow Defender just in case I make a mistake...

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

That is not enough!

4. guest

guest Guest

cheater :p

5. Ok, now running stripped Xubuntu in Hyper-V also, four is the maximum I can manage.

6. TravisSturm

TravisSturm Registered Member

I'm curious about how you are sandboxing the file system. How do you sandbox a windows explorer, not the web browser, window and is there a way to sandbox a new flash drive that gets inserted? Finally, is there a way to share a file in one sandbox with another? Such as a PDF I save in my chrome sandbox with my foxit sandbox. Or do I need to write it to disk first?

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can run sandboxed Windows exlorer by launching "Run Windows explorer sandboxed" shortcut from start menu. It will launch new instance of explorer.exe which will be sandboxed. You can use that window to navigate to flash drive and open files from it.
    About migrating: I usually restore file and then open it another sandbox - I don't know there might be a quicker way which I don't know about.

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

There are many ways you can run Windows explorer sandboxed. One way to do it was explained by Minmalist. But you should know that when you run Windows explorer from the Start menu, explorer ls designed to run sandboxed in your DefaultBox. And for explorer to be able to run in your DefaultBox you need to either allow explorer.exe in Start/Run restrictions or have All programs allowed to start and run in the DefaultBox.

You can also run explorer sandboxed by right clicking the Sandboxie icon by the clock, hover the browser over the name of the sandbox where you want explorer to run and click Run Windows explorer. If you are using more than one sandbox or you are using a dedicated sandbox for explorer, this would be a good way for launching Windows explorer sandboxed.

Another way to run explorer sandboxed is to right click Windows explorer or any folder and choose Run sandboxed. Then you can use this sandboxed version of Windows explorer for navigating to any file or folder in the computer, this includes your flash drives. Any file you navigate to with the sandboxed explorer will run under Sandboxie. No exceptions, ifs or buts. I use the sandboxed explorer for specific reasons. The most important one is for navigating to files I download that I am not 100% sure what they are. That is because no matter what type of file it is, if you navigate to it with the sandboxed explorer and run it, it will start and run under Sandboxies supervision every time.

So, its good you are thinking about using the sandboxed windows explorer. It is one of the best tools in Sandboxie. For now, start using it for navigating to your USB drives but as you get used to it, you will come up with other reasons for using it based on your personal case use of the computer. Guaranteed.

For convenience. You can create a sandboxed shortcut for running windows explorer. This makes it easy to run it.

1. Create a new sandbox, you can name it Windows explorer.

Sandboxie control>Sandbox, Click Create new sandbox. Dont copy settings from any existing sandbox. You can set it up according to what you are going to run with the sandboxed explorer.

An idea. You can forbid all programs from having access to the internet. And only allow to run the program that you usually run when you plug flash drives to the computer.

2. Click Sandboxie control>Configure>Windows shell integration, Click Add shortcut icons, Select the new sandbox you created for running Windows explorer sandboxed. Find Windows explorer in one of the menus, like for example, Programs>Accessories>Windows explorer. Click it. After you click it, you ll find a sandboxed shortcut for Windows explorer in your Desktop. You can leave it there or drag it to the task bar. I have it in my task bar. From now on, when you click the shortcut, a sandboxed version of Window explorer will run in the sandbox you created and set as a dedicated sandbox for explorer.

All of this can be done with the free version. I use Sandboxies paid version and still find using a sandboxed explorer very useful. And using the sandboxed shortcut makes running one very easy and convenient.

Sandboxing flash drives and Sandboxies paid version. One huge benefit of using Sandboxies paid version is that you can force your flash drives to run sandboxed automatically. When you Force your USB drives, when a flash drive gets plugged in, the USB folder pops up open automatically using a sandboxed version of Window explorer.

HTH :)

Bo

9. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you don't recover files to the hard drive, you ll lose them when you delete contents of the sandbox. Sounds to me like you are using more than one sandbox and they are not set to delete on closing of the sandboxed program. But eventually you will delete contents so be careful cause you might lose an important document if they are kept in the sandbox.

What I do is recover whatever I want to recover and recover it to a folder that is set as a Forced folder. Any exe that runs from there is not gonna run sandboxed from there as only a few programs are allowed to run from my forced downloads folder. Later, if I want to move something out of my downloads folders, it runs sandboxed via Forced programs.

Most files in my computers run sandboxed during their lifetime in the computer. So, I dont worry about nothing as just about anything that runs in my computers, runs sandboxed every time they run. Is rare, when I run something out of the sandbox. Is easy and convenient using the computer and the internet this way.

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.