What Antivirus programs have no toolbars or stupid optimizers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mortal Raptor, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Mortal, what about AVAST Business 2015 Hosted?

Absolutely NO DEBRIS in it.. Clean, smooth, light, seamless, and you can control everything from the management console.

Might as well add Symantec Enterprise, and Trend Worry Free to list too.

2. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

I think we can all agree you have found many AV you thought were the best and talked about it eveywhere, only to change your mind and renounce how that company sucks within 6 minutes to 2 days.

Now that's off my chest, you can't go wrong with any of these:

No bloat:
    Avira AntiVirus Pro
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware
    ESET NOD32
    360IS
    Webroot SecureAnywhere

Some bloat:
    Trend AV
    Norton Security
    Kaspersky AV

Not getting into an A vs B here, but have you not tried nearly ALL of these and found some sort of reason you didn't like them?

Best of luck in your quest. I am super picky and like to change AV a lot too, although I'm not as vocal as you and it takes a lot for me to recommend something. All the programs listed above I would recommend to someone, depending on their wants and needs. Personally, Avira and Emsisoft are my favorites, but wouldn't hesitate to use and trust the others.

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

This is an EXCELLENT post.. I agree. If you don't mind 'some' stuff, then Trend, Norton, and Kaspersky are great.. If you demand nothing additional? Your list is good..

4. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Hey, there's a good idea. And for some strange reason, I never thought of it.

So we have 7 computers in this household. And we have 6 different AVs. And that's sorta the way many of us Wilderites are... we like to experiment and play with different security systems..

The only AV that is on two computers is Symantec Endpoint.

SEP 12.1.5 is absolutely bloat free, smooth as silk, no false positives, good protection.. I'm a fan. That may be what you are looking for.

You set it up as an unmanaged client, and Mayahana can help you dial up the settings to max out the protection -- without false positives.

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Indeed.. 2 ways to install it during the install process 'managed and unmanaged', you would pick unmanaged in this case, and then dial up the settings. It's powerful.. Very VERY powerful, and extremely light, and totally bloat free.

I think what a lot of people at Wilders are looking for may be found in enterprise versions. Let's face it, those of us in the MSP/IT field don't tolerate bloat, and I can tell you that every enterprise product I have tested/deployed is bloat free.. Look at Trend Worry Free - no toolbars, optimizers, nothing.. It's just a tiny client on the endpoint, nothing more. Same with Symantec for the most part, and a few other products. Also, Forticlient should be added to the list - totally bloat free, and I would run Forticlient before I would run NOD32 v4. Forticlient has a bossy URL filtration system. But don't look for HIPS or other stuff in it, it's about as pure of an AV/AS/AM product as you can get. It's also quite light if you run a full scan after install, and then reboot. (caching)

What I like to do with SEP is set insight to 6, and BLOCK/BLOCK/DENY on most of the other settings, and then dial up bloodhound to 'aggressive'. Also it has a very powerful firewall, and if you can seriously tweak that!

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

as far as my end results with the eset tdi drivers this was my response just now to marcos:

okay does not fix the speedtest results. actually they got worse after going to the tdi driver. i have a 150mb down and up (same speed) tested with a few other av's i get rated speeds without issues. with the default drivers i ended up with 156 down and 29 up with the tdi drivers 152 down and only 10 up. tested multiple times.

re-ran tests using both drivers and by disabling protocol filtering results:

i do still see some buffering on you tube videos with the new drivers and protocol filtering disabled though. otherwise streaming is fine and speedtests are perfect. the buffering is not nearly as bad as before though.

so with normal v8 install:

buffering issues, streaming stuttering, and speedtest upload speeds very much reduced.

with tdi drivers you tube seems fine but otherwise everything else is worse. speedtest is much slower upload speed wise and stuttering is worse.

with v8 install disabling protocol filtering:

you tube slightly buffering otherwise everything else returns to normal speedtest result was 158mb down and 152 upload. no stuttering streaming at all.

tests run with both firefox v36 and ie11 windows 7 x64 fresh install no other software installed. tested on 3 systems 2 laptops (toshiba i5, msi gx series i7) and desktop (custom built amd fx octa core 32gb ram)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Haven't configured it to that extent. Can it block unknowns before they exist? For example, could it stop a drive-by download from accessing the internet without having to configure for it after you get it?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Give me a drive-by install that infects Chrome... SBIE real use is locking down those click-happy users and virtualizing every download they execute amongst other forms of control.

And really, as for bloatware, I don't really care as long as the choice remains with the user.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You could add these to your list:
    Baidu Antivirus
    Virus Chaser

10. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Sure. To be protected against the unknown (so, Not to depend on signatures) was the reason Tzuk created Sandboxie. In a restricted sandbox, the only programs that can run or connect to the internet are the ones that you allow when you include the name of their executable in Sandbox settings>Restrictions>Start/Run access/Internet access.

If you are browsing and all of the sudden malware gets downloaded into the sandbox, if the name of the malware is not writen down in Sandbox settings>Restrictions>Start/Run access/Internet access, the drive by download is not gonna run or have access to the internet. On top of that, if you tick Drop Rights in Sandbox settings>Restrictions, programs (like a drive by install) are forbidden from installing in the sandbox.

Bo

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I have had a license for years but never really dug into the advanced settings. I just use it as is and empty the sandbox at the end of the session.

12. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

13. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Ashampoo antivirus 2015 is a Emsisoft Anti-Malware rebrand, so it should be very good.

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It's a full rebrand of Emsisoft?? That's very interesting to hear. Too bad they have a hideous website, they sell licenses without actually telling you how many systems it covers. Also, it has some really bad reviews;

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425346,00.asp

15. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

16. zfactor

before signing up for ashampoo ANYTHING be sure to use a throw away email and bogus info trust me.... unless you want to literally be hammered with emails daily they are the single most annoying company once they have you email info. i will never give them a real email again.. even after requesting to be removed from their mailing list AND blocking them they continued to send emails. and after blocking them i started getting them from a different email address i blocked that one then they started in with a different email again.

17. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Wow! thanks for the warning! not adding Ashampoo to the list, sounds shady

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Run your own SMTP server, and then you can put in IP banning rules for entire companies, or even geographical locations!

19. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Beat me to it!

20. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! I remember oh about eight years back; being sucked into Ashampoo's Black Spam Marketing Plan. As zfactor stated I readily concur...you will be bombarded with E-mails of the Uber Blitzkrieg variety. Consumer Beware...Avoid at all Costs! Sincerely...Securon

21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I get the Ashampoo emails almost daily too. To be honest, I've never tried to unsubscribe from their mailing list. I'm on so many mailing lists that I usually don't even notice their emails among all the crap I receive daily. I don't mind getting their emails as they do have so huge discounts periodically which they advertise via email. Despite their questionable email marketing, they do publish some useful software.

22. zfactor

guys i know i can do that but many people will not. and imo its easier for the average person to just use a throw away email...

also still running tests per marcos request. im hoping they can figure this out. ill report back once i finish the rest.

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I recommend having junk sub accounts for such purposes..

Main_mail@mailwhatever.com
    Registration_junk@mailwhatever.com

Etc.. It's best to segregate emails for MANY reasons.. Spam is the least.. For security, to compromise you would require 'them' to compromise several unlinked sub-accounts. Segregation means getting one email nets them potential access to things attached to THAT email. But if you have several, for different purposes, this becomes a daunting task. It's surprisingly easy to defeat most hackers, and/or state actors by adding diversions/segregation and spike strips into the mix. Also, if they do latch on to you their thought is usually 'this guy knows his stuff, dang...'.. Hackers, and state actors rely on people being ignorant, careless/sloppy, and trusting. Anyone else starts to become a massive issue to gather int on, and at some point, not worth the trouble.

24. zfactor

they did make a difference in you tube and the "feel" overall on the system but did not resolve the problems in fact the upload speeds were even slower then the current drivers.

25. anon

anon Registered Member

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/02/26...-applications-bundle-toolbars-and-other-pups/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.