What Antivirus programs have no toolbars or stupid optimizers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mortal Raptor, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Mayahana! Went to Eset home downloads...and entered Eset V4 in the search box...upper left hand corner...and it takes you to the page with all Versions...32 and 64 bit...it's a trip...Download...Adelic...Lol! Going back to the Future! Sincerely...Securon

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

To be honest. I find this ... Exciting. Like techno archaeologists..

3. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

So.. ASUS w/Trend covers your lightening fast, amazingly effective URL filtration.

NOD32 v4 is your simple, effective, powerful unbloated AV?

Seems like a winner to me...

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Will v4 run on Win8.1x? I can't stand Win7 so that's not an option.

6. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

No, the least you can do is v6, still not bad

indeed, my thoughts exact,y TrendMicro for the bad urls/sites/etc + ABP for ads + NOD32 for a simple antivirus, nothing more nothing less, I now feel my system as in the old days of v2, you know that feeling when you install an AV and notice 0 performance hito_Oo_O? it's awesome man! Now I regret all the license I bought, all the refunds, all the trouble, all the wsted time on other products when the answer was right infront of me, to install an older version and reuse my old 5 user license! a huge thanks to the person on this forum who suggested me to try the older version! never crossd my mind

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

As far as I am concerned there is nothing to discuss, you are one of the users that complain on the performance so you are the one that seeks a solution, I am not. And since I don't have any performance issues I will stay with V8. Again, going back to previous versions such as v4 is not a solution to your problems, it's a workaround nothing more.

You seem to put a lot of weight on perfect test results, but you only mention AV-Test like they are the only tester? If you like test results that much then how come the results by AV-C doesn't count for you even if ESET won the performance test ?

"but I'm sure their great engineers can come up with an optimization to make them not perform so badly in tests such as AV-TESTs. It is a big sham when the heaviest AV of all time, Kaspersky, gets the awayrd of the lightest Internet Security Suite and Eset gets a 3.5/6 rating. Someone obviously isn't seeing this which I doubt, or simply doesn't care"

Why is that? I don't care what it scores in a performance test, I only care about how it runs on my system. I actually hope they don't care about it at all, they have other stuff to care about than tuning the products to win performance tests.

If I were you, I would download V8 and request the TDI drivers from V4 from Marcos so that we can rule out any issue with the WFP, to see if any of your web issues with browsing speed, download speed, video stuttering etc etc... get's improved with the TDI drivers. If you want to help then that's what you should do to help ESET on the way. Marcos have already suggested this 3 times in different threads but no one of you that actually have these issues have tried it yet. I would have tried this the first time he suggested it.

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Anyone miss this......... :argh:

2015-02-25_052155.png

9. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I miss the system tray icon, but that is it.

10. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

fair points, but not that I am happy, I am sticking to this solution for a while, I can't tell you how many times I have formatted in the last few months I'm exhausted.

Why not AV-C? because they only do a performance test once in a while, and I have certainly missed the last one where you say ESET performed well?

As for Windows 8, I have tried so much to get that thing working , even tried the latest ISO from MSDN 2 days ago which is 8.1 Update 3 but I always get an error upon every reboot

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Now, I'm actually interested to find out, where is the bloat in ESET software? And when you say that ESET has become "large" what do you refer to exactly, large compared to what?

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Check the AV-C website under performance an you'll find it. Here it is: http://www.av-comparatives.org/performance-test-suites-october-2014/

No No, not Windows 8. I meant ESET V8. You should try using ESET V8 with the old TDI drivers used in ESET v4 that you can get from Marcos to rule out any issue with the WFP. Please give it a try.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  13. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

ahhhhhh I never knew about that. I'll try tomorrow definitely as it's late here now. Thanks man

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great, thank you. It will be interesting to hear if it makes a difference once you get the TDI drivers in place and start using your computer to see if your different web issues are gone or at least improved.

You could send a PM to Marcos now before you log out to let him know that you are up for it and he will provide you with instructions how to do it, and possibly have it ready by tomorrow when you login.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  15. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

I would never use a outdated antivirus product. If u care about u speed simply use Webroot,its the lightes av out there,its a fact. but eset v4? Outdated technologies etc,why,just why.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post. If This Thread Turns Political, it Will Be Closed!

17. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

No thank you. I have seen enough systems infected with Webroot SA on them that I installed to never use it anymore

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

That, and don't forget to mention many find WSA fairly heavy in a subtle way.. Like it puts an occult weight on the system, similar to ESET in that regard. Hard to explain. I won't be going to green kool aid ever again.

19. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Here is a recent experience about WSA:

Bought a Dell Inspiron laptop for my friend, did all the Windows updates, installed the software, Firefox + ABP and WSA since I don't use my license, figured let's put it to use and gave him the laptop.

2 days later, just 2 days, he calls me and tells me he keeps getting popups to download something everytime he starts his computer....
    I logged in to his laptop via TeamViewer and saw the popup, some malicious download trying to start all the time.....WSA was on and fully updated and did nothing.....

I then cleaned his laptop with Adwcleaner, MBAM, Combofix, and SAS, then installed Bitdefender Free for him and never heard back from him so all is good.

This is just one example out of 10 others I can post which I won't since I don't wanna divert this thread to a Webroot coolaid conversation. Webroot IS NOT an Antivirus! It's as good or worse than Windows Defender

20. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Took a system image while v4 and everything is working great......then uninstalled NOD32 v4 and installing v8 now. I am working with Macros to use the v4 driver and try to find the issue that's making v8 so slow....

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Here's a thought... Instal VirtualBox (or VMWare, if you prefer) and create a virtual machine. Install Ubuntu (or your preferred Linux distro) and use that for all of your internet facing activities. Then you won't need any internet security. You could even block all internet activity to the host by setting your DNS server to localhost and only inserting things you want to access into your HOSTS file. Use the virtual machine in bridged mode, and it will have full internet access. You may not find this a workable suggestion, but it would eliminate any problems with security software.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Why all that when Chrome's sandbox, or using SBIE, is more than sufficient?

23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I was under the impression that if you use your browser sandboxed, your stored logins in forums and sites will be gone once you exit the browser......correct me if I'm wrong....

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can allow direct access or quick recovery of your cookies. Or just don't empty the sandbox, but watch out for info-stealing malware.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I disagree that Chrome's sandbox is sufficient. SBIE comes much closer but like you said, info stealing malware would be an issue. There is nothing to stop if from executing. Pretty much any Windows based malware will just fail to run in Linux.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.