What Antivirus programs have no toolbars or stupid optimizers?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mortal Raptor, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Ok, this is good.

Possibly zfactor can advise in a workaround here.

And there is this. Even if you don't like the staff, you can still like the product. The two can be separated.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I hope this mystery will be solved for all that experience this at some point :(

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V4 was the last version that didn't use Advanced heuristics on file execution by default. As of v5, AH was enabled by default for even better protection. This could be done thanks to Live Grid that was first introduced in v5 and significantly improved response to new malware. However, if Live Grid isn't functioning properly (e.g. the computer has access to Live Grid cloud servers blocked), v5 and newer versions will appear heavier on resources. Also other protection features, such as HIPS, Advanced memory and Exploit blocker may have adverse effect on performance under specific circumstances.
    Is it just protocol filtering that appears to be causing performance issues compared to older versions? If so, we could help you install older TDI drivers instead of WFP ones to confirm or rule out a problem in WFP itself.

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I re-installed ESET to test, and found it heavier than I would expect. Not insanely heavy, but it added 'lag' to almost everything. A tiny, but noticeable pause when loading videos, etc. Also, a larger archive took over a minute to display in Winrar when I went to unarchive it. This problem resolved when ESET was uninstalled.

This was 12 hours ago when I tested again. Clean connection, DMZ, Quad Core 3.66Ghz system w/16GB Ram, and GTX 780 graphic card, and 550MB/s SSD drives.. So it's no slouch in performance.

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

AVIRA works with MIXPANEL, which is considered a malware like Data Mining Firm. I won't install anything that dials home to Mixpanel, or has even remote association with them. BTW Kaspersky is very very light if you install it, run a full scan, then reboot.. I've tested it on very slow laptops, and it still performed remarkably light. But I agree - ESET DOES slow things down, even on very speedy systems!

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As for the problem with pause when loading videos, maybe it's related to what zfactor has experienced. I've suggested him to make one more test, now with WFP drivers replaced by the old TDI drivers from v4 (will provide instructions on request).
    Regarding the slow down while extracting a large archive, this is not a common task that users normally do. If you extract a lot of PE files that are large or heavily packed / obfuscated, it's expected that will take some time to emulate them by AH which is used for newly created and modified files by default. What you could try is disabling AH for newly created files and leave it enabled on file execution only. With Live Grid enabled and working, you shouldn't notice any performance hit the next time you run a particular executable.
    Since this thread was not meant to deal primarily with ESET, I'd suggest creating a new topic for these issues, ideally in our official forum https://forum.eset.com.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I can't see how this can be considered as malware, and there is the possibility to opt out of it...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

So try it. There is no reason not to. It will not harm anything to give it a test. And it won't cost anything to evaluate it. Highly recommended.

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Curious, the latest F-Secure v15.2 is the most light for my old laptop, along with Avira Professional Security and Windows Defender.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I didn't know about this, seems like almost all AV's do this nowadays, I hate this stuff! Just do your job, and stop trying to profile my system!

11. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Installed Windows 7 and NOD32 v4, let's see how this goes.....

12. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Been using NOD32 v4 for for 3 hours, I installed it even before installing any of my apps and contrary to NOD32 v8 where I would notice the apps have a huge delay in installing (obviously as the AV is checking the files as they're being installed), this has 0 performance hit, just as in the old days where NOD32 was the king of light AVs!

So glad this is working so good and what I was scared off didn't happen....I was worried that it would keep telling me that it's old and I need to update the program but nope, not a single notification about that, it just did the signature update and that's it. No more stupid HTTP scanning or extra stuff which cripple the PC!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  13. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Thank you for always being around and monitoring what peoples gripes about ESET are. I appreciate it

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I think they need to re-engineer the product for Version 9. I've lost confidence in ESET due to this kind of thing. I appreciate the effort to try and isolate it, but really I can't be doing this for every product, that's the job of the production team at ESET to try and pin it down. Since the AV testing houses all report ESET as having a 'significant' impact on PC performance, we know we're not alone. It will take some re-engineering to convince me in the coming years it's worth taking a look at again. I don't have the time to keep installing/uninstalling products, and don't really care to keep blowing money on solutions I end up not using.

15. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

true, I'm always being told by Swex here that why don't I report the issues instead of just complaining? Well my response to you Swex is:

1) I am not alone who is claiming this, we got zfactor, Mayahana, and me, in additions to the hundreds of others users who don't simply go on forums complaining

2) AV-Test, time after time again, have always rated ESET to have a 3.5 out of 6 rating. Now this is no accident, they are a respectable testing organization and they must have experienced the same

3) So why am I not reporting it? how can I report "I feel my system is heavier?" it's a feeling, the snappiness factor goes away when I install v7 or v8, starting from internet browsing to videos streaming, to torrent downloads, to installing programs (takes double the time)

4) and how can I report it when 2 days ago I installed v8 to give it one last try on my Windows 8.1 PRO cleanly installed OS with no previous AV installed and Windows Defender and its 2 startup entries were disabled using Autoruns......the moment I installed NOD32, my internet stopped working. Tried disabling it, tried rebooting no luck. Somehow it seems whenever I have an issue with NOD32 disabling it doesn't cure the issue, only uninstalling it, so there is a bug with disabling it doesn't really disable anything but the virus scanner but the other technologies which may or not be causing the issues aren't being disabled.

5) most importantly, why is it that I am super happy now with v4? it's not like I'm anti ESET, I just want a product that works without making my system crawl. I am simply shocked how light NOD32 v4 is, programs installed as if there was no AV present, just like in the past days with v2. Every version since 4 started getting heavier and heavier, I know, because they were adding features to it and I don't blame them, but I'm sure their great engineers can come up with an optimization to make them not perform so badly in tests such as AV-TESTs. It is a big sham when the heaviest AV of all time, Kaspersky, gets the awayrd of the lightest Internet Security Suite and Eset gets a 3.5/6 rating. Someone obviously isn't seeing this which I doubt, or simply doesn't care

16. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just for sheer curiosity's sake...I installed V4 I.S. Eset...and I now understand what the concern is with the latest version. Everything is much leaner and nimble no lag whatsoever. But to justify my justification I'll report back on Friday with a Man On the Street update...Stay Tuned don't think of uninstalling! Lol! Sincerely...Securon

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

just reinstalled v4 and its MUCH FASTER than v8 for me. this is on a clean fresh install of win 7 x64 on 2 different machine no other software is installed.

18. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

so thanks for confirming that I wasn't just bashing V8, I'm not a troll, in fact, I am an ESET user since v2, and I know how light it is. This v8 is simply not ESET to me, no matter what one says, they are on 2 diff. levels when it comes to lightness/system snapiness/performance and the AV-TESTs don't lie

I really hope ESET takes this seriously, I really hope Marcos steps in as usual and promise us that Eset NOD32 V9 will be the old NOD32 that we all loved.

19. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Gonna install NOD32 v6 on my wife's computer tomorrow since she cannot use V4 obviously on her Windows 8.1 laptop. She complained to me that her computer was so slow and often mail would not synchronize and return back with an error so I uninstalled NOD32 v8 on her laptop and the issue was fixed. I'll let her try V6 tomorrow

20. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Well ya know, I think I will. I'll be traveling to the Middle East for business in a few weeks and will have some down time... so why not.

The Sandboxyites are probably the most consistent fans of their product over the long term of any security product talked about here at Wilders. That does say something.

And I'm a long-time fan of the lifetime license -- which Sandboxie offers.

21. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

if you pass by Dubai, let me know

22. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Dubai... really? I won't be there, but I won't be far. One place I'll be is just across the water in Doha. I could practically swim to Dubai..

I did travel to Dubai once years ago, why didn't you tell me you were from there? (I'm kidding)

But if I do travel to Dubai again though.... I look forward to meeting the legendary Mortal Raptor.

-Frank

23. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

haha, cheers, back on topic :)

24. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I sure hope you all see improvements on your equipment in future versions of ESET's products. I think ESET is a very honorable company that makes great software and I am happy that all of their version, including the latest one, work great for me.

25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Remember, I started this revelation with the following simple words;

You guys owe it to me. :thumb: The reason is, for MONTHS I have been thinking of attempting to run a very old version of ESET, I miss the way it was very light, and simple, and effective. I came up with this idea when I was dispatched to fix 'issues' with a network at a fairly large company, and noticed a couple of the boxes were running a very old version of Kaspersky. I asked why, and was told that those two people 'preferred' the older versions. Then I realized how much I preferred the older versions of some products, like ESET.. The rest is history eh?

One thing I really miss is the modular, slick look of the very early versions of ESET. But I especially miss that it was AS LIGHT AS A FEATHER.. Also, dealing with security through obscurity, it MAY be possible that you are increasing security by running obscure, and/or data programs. For example it's not feasible that anyone is still attempting to exploit Opera12 or Netscape Browsers, hence, they actually do offer more security in many cases. In the evolution of products, we've seen TREND become something of a contender, and very gorgeous, and Norton 2015 becoming one of the lightest products around, and in the same time frame ESET has become large, bloated, and system ruining...

BTW: Where are you guys getting v4 of ESET? Now you have me wanting to jump on that bandwagon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.