what about Online Armor :)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

huh......jmonge can like whatever he wants....use whatever he wants...write whatever he wants(within forum rules that is) and so can you...me or anyone...so why should you or me butt in with our preferences....our greatest setups etc. Advice is okay..opinions are great but comparisons with our likes and dislikes is sure way to bring up the defense wall in each one of us haha.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i lock OA with a user password and it is like anti-executable such as AppGuard:)

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

one thing i want to mention aLso is that i didnt see any active processess withing the program like the other hips(malware defender/comodo D+)or maybe i didnt see it:D

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

no;:D i was talking about something similar the D+ feature like active procesess(task manager like):D

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i see the program protection but i dont see any active proceses like comodo does:)

6. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Great, Just the thread I need! As some of you may know, I've been apart of the Comodo community for almost 2 years. I never tried Online Armor, Reason being was I originally used Sygate until it was acquired by symantec. I then installed Comodo and was very impressed with it - Didn't feel the need to try anything else. "Don't fix what ain't broken"

Recently, I thought I'd try Online Armor - I'm Aussie too! :D
    I thought it was a great app, very user friendly. Though there are somethings in the way of HIPS features I miss such as custom rules and policy's etc.

Anyway, To sum it up I think that Either Comodo or Online Armor are great apps. I'm more leaning towards Online Armor. Due to the fact the alerts are so damn easy to read and it just works - right out of the box.

Hope not too many of the people from Comodo read this post, LOL.

and a short question; Since OA free now includes keylogger protection would OA free offer a fully fledged HIPS?

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for replying,and also want to know more too;)

8. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

Then make your way over to here http://www.tallemu.com/ and I am sure Mike and the great folks at TallEmu will point you in the right direction!:)

9. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

The only difference between the HIPS element of PRO that you don't have in the free version (AFAIK) are the advanced Program options, allocating a CPU % limit, and Affinity mask - which is the ability to allocate which CPU runs the program (if you have multi core cpu)

The Firewall side of OA Pro and Free is a different matter. You have more options in Pro that you don't get with Free, like restricting national block IP's ... China, Russia, Korea, USA, etc ... The firewall side on Pro has block all traffic at boot, also. I can't remember all the differences between the two, but essentially the HIPS element is full functioning for both. I don't think anyone using Free cares too much about allocating CPU %.

Running the Safety Check Wizard at least once a month is what I do. Then configure known and unknown programs as either Trusted or Untrusted, and most importantly - all internet facing apps with the Run Safer setting (reduced rights) the Untrusted setting will flag the particular program for events, Trusted is quiet mode (least popups)

● Trusted - Quiet
    ● Untrusted - Flags for actions
    ● Ask - paranoid - Needs permission to run - blocked
    ● Run Safer - Cannot install drivers ► Cannot write to system ► Cannot write to root of drives

You can pretty much lock everything down with these settings if you spend a bit of time configuring Online Armor's HIPS.

Can't think of any other differences between Pro and Free. :doubt:

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks this is very value info:thumb: now what about if you decide to save files in my documents and then run them will they be utrusted if you run the browser safer?is there any diference if you just run or saved and later decide to run?thanks:)

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i dont see a place where Online armor have running active processes in memory(task manager like)

13. subset

subset Registered Member

Well, this is planned for a future release... :doubt:
    http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showpost.php?p=94005&postcount=8

Actually there is no task manager.
    But it would be very, very easy just to add "Active Processes" to this drop-down list at Programs.
    So that you can easily identify and manage all running programs.

Especially because every program can disable the Windows task manager and OA does not care about. :ouch:

Cheers

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks for replying and also thanks for the link too:) :thumb:

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Just realised run safer is included in the free version, where have I been?! ;) Premium is worth the extra features, and ++, is all you need. :thumb:

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool;) the only thing for me that make think twice to buy it is the high $ price:) :D i am not cheap fellow here but when i buy in canadian money convertion is alot more to pay:D

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i am currently trying out a free 1 year licence given by GIZMO ;)

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

does anyone knows how the webshield in OA works and how to configure?thanks

19. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Something that I noticed is that OA free uses quite a little bit of CPU time? tested on 2 pc's (Not heaps like an AV, but still surprising for a HIPS)

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i noticed alitle boot up delay to but it is like 2 seconds deyaed only:D

21. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

The price may be higher but when you look at what you get with the ++ version (Antivirus, antimalware, firewall, HIPS, browser protection thru Run Safer) and compare it to other vendor's full suites then the price is right in there with the rest of them.

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think you are making a good point here cause i think that it can be run alone:thumb: i guez:D

23. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

No problems running it alone with all that's bundled with it.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool:thumb: and what antivirus engine they use?

25. subset

subset Registered Member

Emsi twin cylinder engine, Ikarus AV engine and a2 AM engine.

There is a detailed explanation at the OA Webhelp.
    http://www.tallemu.com/webhelp3/Websites.html

Banking Mode is integrated to Web Sites, but you can disable the Web Shield and still use the Banking Mode.
    This is how I use it, because Web Shield is pretty out of order with Sandboxie.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.