WGA notification tool uninstaller (RemoveWGA.exe)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by gkweb, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totoantonio

totoantonio Registered Member

I GOT THE APPZ FROM A FRIEND ALREADY...THANKS MAN..IT REALLY WORKS....MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mfsa

mfsa Registered Member

Hi ;-)

Would anybody happen to know a clean mirror? It seems the file has been taken down on the original site only yesterday.

I own a legitime version of XP PRO (paid EUR 320 for it, that's a lot of money for a normal working person), but I don't like the phoning home stuff.

I've found three *.exe's sofar, but none of them has the same MD5 as is on the main homepage.

I'd be obliged for your help ;-)

Thanks & take care,

Mike

3. asyland

asyland Registered Member

Yeah, I'm sorry to see Microsoft pressure LT into removing it. Glad I saved a copy.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

M$ is evil.

5. Dudo

Dudo Registered Member

Ugh, stupid Moron$oft. Did anyone manage to download RemoveWGA 1.3 beta before it got yanked? If so, can you please upload it somewhere (rapidshare.de, etc.) and share a link with us? With the program removed from the author's website it is getting hard to find.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Due to the nature of this situation....We ask that requests for copies of the tool and any subsequent "rapidshare.de" type download links be taken to private communications Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

7. Dudo

Dudo Registered Member

Thats nice Bubba, but when will the private messaging system be available again? I have tried to use it two different times, and both times it was "unavailable".

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

In this forum, look at the top of the page. Do you see User CP?
    Click on it, go to Edit Options and check your private messaging settings.

9. migzzz

migzzz Registered Member

HI folks..
    New here...
    I too is looking for the WGA removal tool.
    It's been hard searching for it..
    Can anyone please lend a hand.

Feel free to drop me a private Message.

Thanks

MiGzzz

10. Dudo

Dudo Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

version of 1.2 of the tool can be easily found on many download sites (like Betanews or Softpedia) but i havent seen the 1.3 beta people speak of.

12. altruisticlovers

altruisticlovers Registered Member

Hey Shahzad here.....plz somebody send me wga setup....i Shall be very thankful to him.waiting 4 urs reply......

my mail adress iss (altruisticlovers@hotmail.com)

13. inpersonam

inpersonam Registered Member

I note that Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=921914 suggests that only certain versions of the notification tool may be removed: "Make sure that the WGA Notifications version that exists on the computer is a pilot version. The version format for the pilot version is 1.5.0532.x. In this case, you can uninstall versions 527-532 only. For example, you can uninstall versions that range from 1.5.0527.0 to 1.5.0532.2." I have version 1.5.1540.0 installed. Is there therefore any reason why this version cannot be removed safely by RemoveWGA.exe?

I note reference to a 1.03 beta version of the tool. Is there any later version than 1.02? If so, any idea where it is available?

Presumably MS will be aware that the notifier has been removed, because they will cease to receive its output but still receive requests for downloads and authentications from the WGA validation tool. Do they have any basis for objecting to this?

Does anybody have any idea what the information derived from the notification tool may be used for, and how it exceeds what will be derived periodically from the validation tool?

Ps I may in part have found the answer to my questions on www.firewallleaktester.com, where is says:

"July 29 2006 : new RemoveWGA version out

RemoveWGA 1.2 release :

This version removes cleanly both WGA Notification 'Pilot' version and 'Final' version, it should theoretically not be needed anymore to directly unload the WGA notification in live from memory and to risk a blue screen (BSOD).

If RemoveWGA finds the final WGA notification version, it "disables" the file WgaLogon.dll by preventing the SYSTEM account to access it (using the Windows file cacls.exe). After a reboot, it tries to remove the WGA notification, and only then, if it cannot do it, it offers you the brutal WGA removing.

RemoveWGA 1.2 has been successfully tested against the pilot and final version of WGA notification on both Windows XP SP2 Professional & Home Edition (clean removal).

To sume up, RemoveWGA now uses 3 different WGA removal methods, depending of the WGA version installed on your computer. The last one (BSOD) should not be used, except may be for futur WGA versions if the clean removal methods fail. If it happens, RemoveWGA will popup a warning and will ask you before trying anything. "

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  14. GuidoZ

GuidoZ Registered Member

To those looking for a mirror for RemoveWGA, I have one on my site here:
    - http://www.GuidoZ.com/WGATray/

I am currently looking for v1.3 to mirror. As you can see from the email correspondence linked from that page, I have also been contacted to remove the WGA stuff; however since no laws are being broken and my web host fully understands that, it is still available. If _ANYONE_ has v1.3, please email it to me (email address is on the site). I'll get it mirrored ASAP. Thanks.

--
    Peace. ~G

15. jbp

jbp Registered Member

In "how it works" it states:

"To do so, it sets both System32\WgaLogon.dll and System32\WgaTray.exe files to be deleted by Windows at the next reboot, and add an entry to start itself."

So RemoveWGA.exe is added to Winlogin.exe? Well, whatever it does it works as describe on both my machines. Thank you.

Suppose some day in the future I need to remove "RemoveWGA.exe" from Winlogon how is that accomplished?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense...this is a little new to me. I'm still somewhere on the learning curve.

Thanks again.....jbp

16. jbp

jbp Registered Member

After going thru all 5 pages of this forum a second time, I've managed to climb up notch on the learning curve. It appears I was fubar on my previous post.

Evidently the phrase "and add an entry to start itself" means for Windows to restart, not to start RemoveWGA. gkweb actually explained exactly what RemoveWGA does in a post somewhere around page 3 or 4. I just missed it.

Sorry for taking up everyones time with these two posts.

jpb

17. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Thanks guidoZ for posting the removal tool, and thanks gkweb for making this thing in the first place! :D
    Although I've managed to avoid having the crap on my machine thus far, I thought it prudent to have a copy for archival purposes, lol. If m$ is willing to stretch the truth about wga to the point of calling it a "critical security update", without which my computer "may be at risk" (of what, may I ask?), I wouldn't be surprised if, in the very near future, they simply incorporate it into a actual security update, without so much as a by your leave.:ninja:
    Also, thanks for the entertaining read :D

18. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

As I ask in a diff. thread,will this fix effect update downloads for M$ Office as well as M$ o/s?

19. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

if you mean your ability to download updates from windows update, no, it shouldn't. For the ones that require verification, (windows defender) you may need to download the genuine check.exe thing, which will then generate a number that you can use to get the download. No idea about office update though, the most advanced word processor I use is wordpad. Do office updates come on the same page as standard windows updates?

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iirc, office updates are available through microsoft update. but i dont use ms office so i cant verify.

21. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

RemoveWGA v1.3.exe? its 1.2 on your site

22. paul_77

paul_77 Registered Member

I ama bit confused.
    I read the article here http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60608002958907
    and agree with all the issues raised and around the blogs as well.

I had thought that I could not install updates and or security patches without the WGAV thingie installed?

Is that not true? If not please show mw how to configure to access the winupdates and patches.

I really object to the presence of the WGAV spyware. either daily or monthly!! + switch utilities

23. 666

666 Registered Member

You have (at least) two ways of getting security updates without installing WGA Notifications:

1) Get 'em directly from the M$ security bulletins: www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

~Snip - Site is not recommended by Wilders~

Autopatcher.com used to hand out all-in-one update files - hosted on their own site - but M$ scared them into extinction.

~Site is not recommended by Wilders~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.