WFN - Windows Firewall Notifier 2.0 Beta

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by guest, Jul 5, 2017.

1. guest

guest Guest

WFN - WIndows Firewall Notifier 2.0 beta

Description:
    Features:
    • Connections listing
    • Real time connections mapping with routes
    • Bandwidth monitoring
    • Adapters informations
    • Windows Firewall status management
    • Notification popup for unknown outgoing connections (optional)
    Screenshots are available on the website of WFN:
    https://github.com/wokhansoft/WFN

Requirements:

The latest stable version was released in 2014, but there is a newer version in development.
    Current version: 2.0 Beta 2 (June 2, 2017)
    Download

Changes - 2.0 Beta 2 (June 2, 2017)
    https://github.com/wokhansoft/WFN/releases/tag/v2.0-beta1
    New in this release:
    • Quoted the path in the Task. Previously, the notifier wouldn't pop up if you installed WFN in a path containing spaces. This is now fixed!
    • Fully handle Windows Apps rules. WFN now understands and handles firewall rules dealing with Windows Apps!
    • Added a "skip program" button to the notifier, which allows you to skip all connections from a single program with just one click.
    • Another bugfix that caused WFN to report that the log file was opened in another program when many notifier instances were trigger at the same time.
    • Bugfix so that the console properly detected the build-in Administrator account as an admin.
    • Several other small fixes and improvements.
    https://wfn.codeplex.com/releases/view/630965
    • Correct configuration file crash. This should fix WFN crashing on startup due to configuration file changes in previous alpha-builds.
    • Internally handle Windows Apps rules. Not fully implemented yet, but WFN now understands firewall rules for Windows Apps.
    • Merge (local) ports into ranges in Notifier to reduce the length of the list.
    • Several other small fixes and improvements.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thank for this update. I was going to open a new thread for this program a couple of weeks ago but when I searched the site I saw many threads where WFN was named or referenced to, closed.

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Not sure why they would be closed as it is still in development and I have to say that it is rather good.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks for your comment. I'd like to try it but still in beta phase and they seem too slow developing this program.:cautious:

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Something else which let's hope after standard developer adjustments becomes a useful network monitor of sorts for windows.

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Indeedy doody!

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Like TinyWall and Windows Firewall Control 4 - its a GUI front-end to Windows Firewall.

8. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

That is a somewhat misleading comment. TinyWall and also I think WFC are more than just front end GUIs. I Have to post this time a reply since I've seen you post yours a few times in here.

From http://tinywall.pados.hu/features.php

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

They offer options to configure and control the Windows Firewall.

10. guest

guest Guest

WFN - Windows Firewall Notifier 2.0 beta 3 (March 3, 2018)
    Download

New in this release:
    Still left to do:
    • Package WFN in a .msi installer. This will make installer and uninstaller WFN much clearer, and it also needed to do proper cleanup on uninstall.
    • Switch to Windows' logging instead of a logfile. Not only is this the proper thing to do, it'll also fix the still remaining issues with writing to the logfile.
    • Add internationalization and translations.
    • See if we can determine what task created a connection, instead of only pointing to taskhost.exe.
    • Add detection for fullscreen applications (e.g. games, Powerpoint), so we don't pop-up and steal focus when they are running.
    • Add a silent mode.
    • Implement the minimize to tray functionality.
    • And lots more!

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I like it so far. Its a nice new twist to network transmission-connection details without too much time eating fiddling I found in some firewall front ends.

Hope they keep it going and add the To-Do list soon with another update.

Keep us posted.

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes not bad at all, too bad the development is a bit slow, because it does look promising.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The more I tinker with this latest Beta the more I personally am growing quite fond of it.

Found to my surprise it also auto-highlights in Real-Time and other details are SIMPLE. And boy is SIMPLE a good thing when it comes to connection information these days.

14. Rasheed187

A mix between WFC and WFN would be nice and I also like the simple factor.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I know and yeah. This traffic app for some reason is really got my attention of late. Finding myself going over the connections it displays Real-Time and testing it's impulse speed to how quickly it's in sync.

All in all not bad at all it seems. Simple is definitely IN and if they add some WFC then this might just take off with folks who normally would pass it off as just another eye candy fad.

16. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

I used to use TinyWall and was quite happy with it since it allowed average users to block outgoing connections and allow them fairly easily. It was a great free app and I'm sad it is no longer supported. It seems this app accomplishes the same with a bit more user input. Is this correct? Could you please offer advice on how to execute all these files since there is no installer? Is there a certain order to do this? I am a very basic user. Thanks!

17. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

I would like to know also.

18. askmark

askmark Registered Member

Just download the zip file (WFNV20BETA3.zip https://github.com/wokhansoft/WFN/releases/download/v2.0-beta3/WFNV20BETA3.zip or WFNV20BETA3_NODB.zip https://github.com/wokhansoft/WFN/releases/download/v2.0-beta3/WFNV20BETA3_NODB.zip), extract the contents to a folder and run WFN.exe.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2018
  19. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Thanks. I installed this and ran it for awhile and my machine went crazy -CPU through the roof. I was unable to figure out why so I disabled it. It took a bit of troubleshooting but at least my machine is back to normal.

20. askmark

askmark Registered Member

I've heard similar reports about cpu problems with this program, but personally I've not had any such issues myself. However, i much prefer Binisoft's WFC to this.

21. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

This is an excellent Windows Defender Firewall front-end just for its logging of allowed or blocked connection attempts alone. With the aid of this website and the logging feature of this utility, I've been able to significantly slim down and tighten the default and humangous(sic) default rule set found in Windows 10. If something doesn't seem to work right, all I've had to do is launch WFN.exe as Administrator and check the logs for blocked connection attempts of legitimate programs. The file "Location" feature is nice when creating rules with Program paths.

22. Rasheed187

And why did you find it any better than WFC?

23. wat0114

It does only exactly what I needed from it, which is to log allowed and blocked applications. I could then modify the rules in existing and built-in Windows Firewall defender. That said, I am trying Sphinx Firewall control and so far liking it very much.

24. Rasheed187

OK, but WFC also has a logging system, that's what I meant. But are you saying that with WFN you can only log connections, without having to use it as a full firewall?

25. wat0114

Yes, it's just a notifier front end for the built-in Defender firewall. I tried WFC once or twice before, and for some reason I din't like it. I think I remember stability issues or something along those lines. I guess everyone's mileage may vary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.