well nortons is gone for me so now to find something new

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I always found Nod's web scanner to take a pretty good toll on browsing speed myself. Don't see any of that in Norton 360 v3 at all... Perhaps Eset has improved in recent times.

2. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Sorry to say this, but they haven't.....at least not on my rig(s) :'(

Cheers

3. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

After reading about the ask.com search toolbar + the pifts.exe nonsense, I couldn't trust Symantec anymore and I immediately removed NIS 2009 from my system.

I went back to Kaspersky (KIS v8.0.0.506) and I'm sure glad I did. Not only does their suite use less resources than NIS, but I noticed that my computer is faster on start-up and shutdown and my internet surfing is smother and faster as well.

Best decision I made. I would like to thank the folks @ Symantec for making this possible because had it not been for their sneaky business practices, I'd still be stuck with NIS 2009.

Also for those who have had issues with Kaspersky in the past, try their latest version. You won't be disappointed. I found a single-user license off eBay for $10. Can't beat that!

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I understand why you wanted to dump NIS 2009, but it's hard to believe that KIS is even lighter on system resources. NIS 2009 has the lowest impact of any suite I've used - even lighter then just using KAV 2009. The last time I tried KAV 2009 (version 8.X) it made my system crawl, but I don't remember what build it was. Do you use any other security apps that could be a factor?

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

If Kis made your system crawl then you probably had a conflict or remnants of some other AV on your system 8.0.0.506 is very light on resources,you have to realise that if you install any app and have problems it may not be down to the "just installed" app but sowmething already installed(or not completely uninstalled)interacting with it,so depending on your view point it could be the newly installed or the one already installed which is at fault,but its always easier to lay the blame at something newly installed rather than do a little investigating

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

have to say i agree nis2009 was lighter than ANY other suite or almost even stand alone av including eset and kis or kav

7. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

KIS is not a standalone AV but a full security suite equivalent to NIS2009.

FYI...according to reviews whilst NIS2009 is apparently the 'lightest' full suite KIS 2009 is very, very close behnd in terms of drag on the system when installed.

My humble suggestion is to try KIS 2009...I think that you will be surprised. ;)

8. zfactor

i used to use kis .506 before i went to nis2009 imo nis2009 is far faster on my system than kis2009 .506 was

9. Birdman

Other than KIS, the only other apps that I have on start-up is WinPatrol and Ad-Muncher.

On system start-up with NIS 2009 previously installed, the memory usage was around 220M. With KIS, it's around 186M.

Also in terms of internet speed (page rendering), I also noticed that it was smoother with KIS installed as opposed to NIS.

10. Baldrick

KIS 2009 on start up is way lower than that on my system...probably why I like it so much compareed to NIS which was heavier on my system...suppose it is down to ones rig to a certain extent. :D

11. zfactor

holy wow how was nis2009 that high on startup mine is no where near that..?? also my system starts up faster with nis2009 over kis.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have the exact opposite experience, KIS slows down browsing much more, and my system was more sluggish with it also, as compared to Norton 360 v3 which is extremely light and quick in all regards.

It's amazing how you can not trust Symantec anymore, and yet go on to trust KIS when they completely destroyed many people's file systems, mine included (needing a reformat) in past years with their file system tags and chkdsk issues. I find that pretty amusing.... ;)

But if it makes you happy, the by all means, use it.

13. zfactor

just did a shutdown restart nis2009 is using 18mb upon restart so not sure where you get 220mb from def something wrong there i can post a screenshot if you want

first image is the second the system started second pick is nis2009 at idle it uses less the 2mb idle usually

2 procc to ccsvchst.exe and csrss.exe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

To be perfectly honest and as obvective as possible given Norton's duplicate O/S as i called it in the past. If they could or would just trim down the massive congestion of all it's working parts to a more tolerable level then perhaps they wouldn't draw so much negative press from the customer's view.

We already know it draws a good share of a top billing from the commerical publications review of it. At least most of them that are well funded to talk this Behemoth up.

15. Baldrick

Never destroyed my file system, never had an issue with CHKDSK nor did it put a foot wrong on my rig from KIS 6 through to 2009. Some of this did affect a small number of people...relatively...but then again NIS trashed some peoples systems and slowed other to a crawl...as has done McAfee and others in the past.

It is all down to what works for one on one's own rig. ;)

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, this is true, and that's the bottom line really... :thumb:

17. Birdman

That's the usage of ALL the processes running on my machine (19 total), not just NIS or KIS by itself.

18. zfactor

why are you comparing it that way? kis for me would idle aroun 8-13 or so and would be around 30-40 at startup and up to 60-80 during scans nis2009 hits around 35-40max for me, at least i have not seen it go higher. imo browsing as SO much slower and sites like you tube was like watching a slide show with kis2009 nortons is nice and smooth

19. Birdman

Kaspersky no longer incorporates system tags or has any issues with chkdsk. While both has their faults, Symantec continues to use BS practices while Kaspersky seems to have moved forward in a positive direction.

In terms of history and track record, nobody has a worse reputation than the folks at Symantec/Norton. Just when you thought they have finally cleaned up their act with their 2009 software line, they prove to be the same greedy scum as they've always been.

What I find amusing is how anybody can defend them. To each their own I guess.

20. zfactor

trust me im NOT happy but i have a paid lic and im looking for something else in the meantime. i will be switching im just not to what yet..

21. Birdman

It must be machine/hardware related then because my experience is the exact opposite as it relates to sites like youtube.

t's been a couple of days since I dumped NIS for KIS and even my girlfriend has noticed the better internet speed performance (and I didn't even mention anything to her about switching security suites).

22. Birdman

I paid 11 bucks for my Norton license and I've used it for 4 months now. Also I kept a snapshot image of my system w/ NIS 2009 on an external drive just in case something goes wrong with Kaspersky and I change my mind. However considering the recent moves by Norton, that seems highly unlikely.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You are of course entitled to you views on all this. After the "BS" that Kaspersky pulled with the file system, I will NEVER use their products again, they went way far across the line with all that. Trust is gone. To my way of thinking, screwing with the OS's file system is a far greater sin than installing a search box without asking.

Symantec is big, and no doubt a target. I think they have managed to produce a fine product in the 2009 line and in Norton 360 v3. And that's why I use it, and will defend it. I care nothing about a silly Ask search box, and I think those who make a stink about it have nothing better to do than bash Symantec, just as there are those who blindly bash MS because they dominate the market. You'd be better off and have a more valid complaint if you were complaining about their tech support. As for them being "greedy scum", everyone is in business to make a buck my friend, don't fool yourself.

IMO, Symantec knows what they are doing, they are worthy of everyone's trust, and they have an excellent current product line, and there are many many people who will agree.

But as we all know, to each his own. Use what works for you.... ;)

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

For me at the moment the problem with Symantec is not the ask.com search box, which I agree can just be ignored. It's the behavior of the company they have outsourced tech support to. Did you read the article on Pcmag.com by Neil Rubenking about his recent experience with Symantec's chat support? If not I suggest reading it and also the many comments from users that confirm the behavior is not an isolated problem. It is possible to "make a buck" without manipulating and scamming users. Keep in mind that when you call a company for product support they have already "made their buck" when you purchased the software.

25. zfactor

that is one part i agree with i am kinda shocked as well at their tech support. i mean they came out this year lock stock and barrel with a near imo perfect solution that simply stunned everyone that this could come from nortons and now they are just killing themselves.

i dont like the ask thing at all but i agree i can turn it off (well not really i can hide it) but their abuse of mbam and trying to force people (freind of mine called and tried this with him he was told he should pay for premium support if he really wanted help and yes they actually said that to him then he called me to ask what to do) into paying for support that originally was said to be free with the new product is absurd and horrible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.