well i thought i could go back to nero 8...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have looked at ImgBurn off and on for almost 2 years and still find it incredibly confusing to use. I still can't find where basic stuff like close/finalize the disk or leave it as multi-session are located. Let alone, something like Mode2 burning (which I desperately needed a couple of months ago.) With other capable but less convoluted alternatives, it's difficult for me to understand why ImgBurn has fans...

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

IIRC, Prassi was always a driverless burner. What is the name of the driver?

3. xheffalumpx

xheffalumpx Registered Member

Does anyone know an older version of Nero which was just the Burning ROM and not so bloated? I have a couple of old cd writer boxes which came bundled with some older verion of Nero but I forget which version - one was a red CD?? - I too am looking for a replacement burner which has similar interface to Nero but without all the extra stuff which comes with newer versions of Nero.

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

5. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hmm not sure but i know when i installed the last version it asked me about installing its own drivers?? i figured they had changed it.. i never reinstalled it because all it did was lock up on me.. never a big fan of ones though..

7. zfactor

ashampoo is a awesome burner but they NEED to allow for custom cd text that is able to be added by the user .... not that interent based garbage, imo it almost never works right, that is my one reason i dont use it right now..

though imgburn has all the advanced features ashampoo lacks. but the 2 combined are my choice and what i have installed

8. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

I think the best version was Nero 6. But its not Vista compatible. This loks like Nero and its lightweight: http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Agree completely. 6 was peak time for Nero - bit like life under Eisenhower.
    The fact that 6 is not compatible with Vista is yet another reason continue with Xp.

10. Long View

Long View Registered Member

How much better is 7 than the free version of 6 ? 6 looks good enough for most things with imgburn being the workhorse but I think you have to get 7 to be able to add menus ?

11. xheffalumpx

xheffalumpx Registered Member

I found that old red CD. Turns out it is Nero Burning Rom 5.5.3.0. Well it says on the CD it is only for use with my old CD writer - which is a CD burner only, no DVD. I have a newer DVD writer too. Installed that old Nero and it only picks up the CD drive, as indicated on the label. Oh well! I'll look at Infrarecorder, that does seem to have a similar interface :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  12. zfactor

power2go is another great nero alternative a bit bigger than ashampoo but it does everything nero can.. about 130-150mb installed.

i found ashampoo 7 to be much better than 6 for stability alone. where 6 would crash at times 7 does not ... ever...

7 can do direct avi mpeg etc to dvd video burning and allows editing of the menus.. i know there are other differences as well but i dont remember since its been a long time since ive used 6 (free one)

be prepared to wait though if using ashampoo for video conversion. a chopre that converxtodvd takes say 45 min to do will take ashampoo near 2 hours but i can say it does a very nice job at it at times even better than convert x...

if imgburn had a few more things imo there would be NOTHING else needed for any taks at all..

imo i can not get infrarecorder to ever do everything its supposed to do right. there are way to many times where it spit out a error or didnt burn right etc.. imgburn does on the first try everytime.. also with infra MANY discs i have to burn at slower speeds so they dont skip during playback like cmc a3 stuff (infra i have to set at 8x for no problems during playback) using the same drive i can actually burn the same discs at 16-18x with img and they play perfect every time.. (all 3 drives tested for this a sammy 203b, pioneer 215, and a lite-on 20a3...)

i dont want the net 2.0 junk so i have stayed away from burnerxp..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.