Websites can use WebRTC to determine your local IP address

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by mvario, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Wow, some good info here.

Can I accomplish the media.peerconnection.false in Opera? Or do I need to use a different browser.

WebRTC not done in opera either?

There is a little program called Turbo VPN with the white rabbit on a orange square, I put this program on my phone and wondered if it actually does what it says.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=free.vpn.unblock.proxy.turbovpn.xxx

Thank you all

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I don't know that VPN. But do check out Ikram et al. (2016) An Analysis of the Privacy and Security Risks of Android VPN Permission-enabled Apps
    Code:
    <https://research.csiro.au/ng/wp-content/uploads/sites/106/2016/08/paper-1.pdf>

3. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Thank you!

So no matter what we risk it all with these elevated permissions.

Thats it, I'm hiring my own programmer:D

4. guest

guest Guest

How to check if sites use WebRTC
    WebRTC is one of these new technologies that is on the one hand pretty useful and on the other a privacy nightmare as it can be abused.
    March 29, 2018

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/03/29/how-to-check-if-sites-use-webrtc/

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

"If you ask me, I'd argue that browsers should never implement features that may leak data such as the IP address without asking users for permission first"

Ho Ho. There's the mistake, thinking these things were browsers, not eye-ball grabbing terminals into the Panopticon. Sometimes it's like a week doesn't go by when you find some other functionality you never wanted pops up so you're scrabbling to turn it off again (if they even allow those settings....) - e.g. IDN. Plus absurd defaults.

6. The Count

The Count Registered Member

Public IP Address showed IP but the other two were n/a
    Local IP Address n/a
    IPv6 Address n/a

Is that good or bad?

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

That's good :thumb:

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Agreed. And you'll never have N/A for public IP. Because then you wouldn't see the web page :) That is, because the site wouldn't know where to send the data.

Even with VPNs and Tor, sites do see a public IP. Just not yours, but the exit server's.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.