Website Blocking Problem

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by greyfox, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I'm having a problem accessing a genealogy website that I have used for years, genforum.genealogy.com. This just started happening not quite a week ago. I use IE for a browser and when I try to go to the site, Spybot pops up and asks if I want to block AvenueA.Inc. I click block and then a blank screen comes up and the little eye wth the banned sign appears at the bottom of the page. I have IE-Spyad installed. Now if I use the AOL browser, I have no problem at all, but I prefer to use IE for browsing the web. I've tried adding Genforum to the trusted sites, but it didn't help. Any ideas?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I don't have AOL greyfox, so I'm not sure if you can see who else is on the page when you're at that website with the AOL browser (IE-view\privacy report).

If you look in IE-Spyads you'll see a couple of AOL listings and a bunch of AvenueA....(spyads IS blocking this).

You might be safer to wait on removing anything from the restricted sites for IE until someone with a more definitive answer can drop in. Visit that site only with the AOL browser...for now, there's a reason.

See who's on the page and post back.

GF

3. greyfox

I can't view the IE-Spyad\privacy report from the AOL browser.

I can view it from IE and it only shows cookies and the only blocked one is hxxp: //view.atdmt.com/FUL/iview/myfmkful00601646

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2004
  4. GlobalForce

I'm aware of this, and if you take IE alone to the page it won't come up because it's being blocked
    (therefore no privacy report).

It's not in spyads but, it may be from a domain linked to one of the view***'s. My results were the same.
    Spybot may have something to say here based on how you're using it. But ultimately, spyads is blocking.

I'd like you to have another opinion or two before playing with any swaps in IE security.
    If you can view those pages under AOL for the time being, so be it.

Sorry I can't advise you here on an appropriate decision.

GF

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  5. greyfox

I have no choice at present but to use the AOL browser. I'm hooked on looking at this genealogy site. :D I 've been googling and have seen others who have had the same problem with AvenueA.Inc and after having Spybot block the cookie, they can't access the website. Not Genforum, but other websites. I think Genforum is tracking users of their site with AvenueA.

Thanks for trying to help. I'll wait and see who else comes along.

6. greyfox

I can view it from IE and it only shows cookies and the only blocked one is hxxp: //view.atdmt.com/FUL/iview/myfmkful00601646[/QUOTE]

Thanks Snapdragin for changing part of that. After I posted it I realized I shouldn't have. I'm still fairly new at this.

7. greyfox

I think I have solved the problem. In Spybot, I went to Immunize and changed the setting under Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in IE, to block all pages silently. Now I don't get the Spybot popup and it goes to the website. I don't know why, but it works. o_O

I didn't know that option was there until I saw someone on a website saying the Spybot popups for Avenue A were really irritating and he was given directions on the silent option.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  8. GlobalForce

And there you have it! You made Spybot take a bow. :p
    Glad to hear you figured it out. :)

GF

9. bizfanatic

bizfanatic Registered Member

Hi there,

I have a poll on my site. apparently its some sort of popup to these type of blocking software. hence, some clients told me they can't assess the poll in their office... as their administrator blocked such stuff... any way to get around it? Been trying to figure it out...

thanks....... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.