WebRoot SpySweeper Overkill?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I am a subscriber to Webroot's SpySweeper. I usually leave the app running all the time. But I have just decided to shut it down, and use only it's on-demand scanning capabilities.

Does anyone disagree with this decision, and feel SS's real-time monitoring capabilities are worth the drag on my outdated system?

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think you should change to the GIANT AntiSpyware ;)

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Spy Sweeper doesn't drag on your system too much as long as you don't use the memory scanner. It's that module that slows things considerably. I only used to use the spyware protection and hijacking protection. As i am now running PestPatrol's memory scanner(memcheck), i disabled Spy Sweeper from running resident and only use it as on-demand. I would recommend you run something resident if not Spy Sweeper. Spybot's Teatimer springs to mind if you are after a freebee. Alternatively, you could try Ad-aware Plus which has resident protection. Strange thing about it though is that you can not trial the Plus or Pro version's, so i have no idea if the resident protection option is a resource hog. This is a major oversight by Lavasoft in my opinion.

muf

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Muf, Thanks for the suggestions. :D

I found it does drag to some degree. Using Process Explorer, I saw utilization by this one process go as high as 5% every 10 seconds or so. And the only time I got any kind of warning message from resident process is when I added items to my IE favorites. And that was annoying.

What type of resident protection do I need? It's my understanding that Spybot SD (Immunize Functionality) and SpywareBlaster make changes to the registry that prohibit known malware from installing. What type of aditional "Resident" protection am I needing?

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Talk about a resource hog! Giant also takes forever to load. Just my opinion. ;)

--

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You are right :)

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I also have disablle Giant on my son's game machine though I do keep it running most of the time on my machine, since I mostly just browse the web. On my son's machine I have decided that PG 3.0 is more than adequate. I also give him permission to shut down BOClean when he is gaming since I feel the combination of KAV and PG 3 is enough.

Rich

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me, giant and spy sweeper is too much, however theyre some of the better antispyware products. i just run ad-watch (ad-aware se) and teatimer (spybot s&d).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.