WebRoot SpySweeper Overkill?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I am a subscriber to Webroot's SpySweeper. I usually leave the app running all the time. But I have just decided to shut it down, and use only it's on-demand scanning capabilities.

Does anyone disagree with this decision, and feel SS's real-time monitoring capabilities are worth the drag on my outdated system?

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think you should change to the GIANT AntiSpyware ;)

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Spy Sweeper doesn't drag on your system too much as long as you don't use the memory scanner. It's that module that slows things considerably. I only used to use the spyware protection and hijacking protection. As i am now running PestPatrol's memory scanner(memcheck), i disabled Spy Sweeper from running resident and only use it as on-demand. I would recommend you run something resident if not Spy Sweeper. Spybot's Teatimer springs to mind if you are after a freebee. Alternatively, you could try Ad-aware Plus which has resident protection. Strange thing about it though is that you can not trial the Plus or Pro version's, so i have no idea if the resident protection option is a resource hog. This is a major oversight by Lavasoft in my opinion.

muf

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Muf, Thanks for the suggestions. :D

I found it does drag to some degree. Using Process Explorer, I saw utilization by this one process go as high as 5% every 10 seconds or so. And the only time I got any kind of warning message from resident process is when I added items to my IE favorites. And that was annoying.

What type of resident protection do I need? It's my understanding that Spybot SD (Immunize Functionality) and SpywareBlaster make changes to the registry that prohibit known malware from installing. What type of aditional "Resident" protection am I needing?

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Talk about a resource hog! Giant also takes forever to load. Just my opinion. ;)

--

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You are right :)

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I also have disablle Giant on my son's game machine though I do keep it running most of the time on my machine, since I mostly just browse the web. On my son's machine I have decided that PG 3.0 is more than adequate. I also give him permission to shut down BOClean when he is gaming since I feel the combination of KAV and PG 3 is enough.

Rich

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me, giant and spy sweeper is too much, however theyre some of the better antispyware products. i just run ad-watch (ad-aware se) and teatimer (spybot s&d).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.