Webroot (spysweeper) firewall now free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feniks

feniks Registered Member

Thanks for the answers people. I have similar feeling as Wordward.

And if something will going wrong with ZA AS I think I will return to WDF. Kind of liking it when I did testing.

How did you find PC Tools firewall Hairy Coo?

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Fenik

Seemed a good, lightweight, uncomplicated wall allegedly based on LooknStop.

Wordward,

No doubt about you buddy-you'll have used them all and why not:D -enjoy ZA!

I will give Avast a spin on your recommendation.

Edit- tried it-great concept with diabolical GUI for my taste.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hey HC. I actually still have ZA and Avast installed. LOL. I alternate between a few different Skins for the AV GUI and they actually look pretty cool. However the On Access Protection Control is a bit plain. I also like the way the Icon Spins when it's scanning a file. The reason I tried it again was that I was stuck between using Avira or AVG. I Just thought what the heck I may as well try Avast again before I decide and now I like it. This is basically how using ZA AS came about. I was using WDF and began thinking of giving OA Free one more spin before settling on WDF, and that's when I saw the 1 year free deal for ZA. I do believe that my boot time and my Firefox browser was faster with WDF installed, but none of them slowed down my PC that I noticed. I may soon go back to WDF for the reasons I mentioned and maybe keep TF. I'm definitely keeping Avast though. There's just something about that spinning Icon. LOL.

4. Hairy Coo

Cant say I noticed any performance difference-stick with it-you're right-that spinning ball is HYPNOTIC.

a big moo

from the Coo

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Take a look at the different Skins for Avast HC. I like the Vista and Brushed ones best. www.avast.com/eng/skins.html
    Are you now running Avast with WDF?

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

That was it (training-mode for patch-tuesday) turned training mode off. Thanx for reminding me. Kept ThreatFire for the WDF training period, but even with learning period done, there doesn't seem to be any conflict between the 2. I tried some f/p's to see if they fight over who blocks what, but they play well.

7. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

If you like that just wait till Avast stops something. :D If your speakers are turned up it will really wake you up. I have tried others but always come back to Avast for how good it has been. Now will try WDF with Vista and see how that is.

8. Hairy Coo

Well as everyone seems to love it-might try it again(with the speakers off!)
    Most likely kills the virus by noise destruction.;)

EDIT; WDF wont work with Vista 64

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  9. rhuds13

When I tried to install in Vista Premium 32 seems to install ok then just stops. After a while tried to cancel but would not then reset system and when came back up had pop up to restart to finish install. Did not trust that soo ghosted back to before. Is this how WDF installs in Vista? And could I trust it this way?

10. Hairy Coo

Just sounds like either an imperfect instal or a fireware instal taking time to check out its surroundings-if you can ghost back in case of a problem,there wouldnt be any danger,dont you think?

I would just let it finish.

11. rhuds13

Downloaded another copy and tried again. Worked ok now. Must have been a bad copy first time. Also now Quake 4 works ok. With PC Tools FW it would lock system when launching Quake 4.

12. ramgana

ramgana Registered Member

First post, so hope I get this right.

I have been using Webroot Desktop Firewall v5.5.10.20 on a Vista machine for a couple of weeks. It like it - mostly I like the absence of problems like BSODs which seem to afflict some other well-known firewalls on Vista at present (e.g. Outpost). I am running NOD32 v2.7.39 but no other security software in real-time.

Here are some points from my experience of WDF 5.5, I would be interested to know if anyone has noticed the same:

1. WDF 5.5 contacts home. Firewall log shows WDF.exe connecting to:
    64.78.182.202 and 72.5.172.201

using network-tools.com shows these ip addresses are associated with Webroot. My guess it is sending usage/debugging information, but who knows.

2. I recently installed MS update KB939653, a cumulative update for IE7. I did this by switching off all the WDF process monitoring stuff (training mode already off) while I did the updates, then on restart I re-enabled WDF process monitor and went into training mode and used IE7. One of the changes in the MS update is a new version of iexplorer.exe.

Everything seems fine, I can access the internet etc. But WDF is still showing the old version number of iexplorer.exe, even though right clicking iexplorer.exe and looking at Properteis, the file version is updated.

Somehow WDF has accepted the new iexplorer connecting to the internet, even though it is a different file.

3. Is there general guidance on how to install or update software in a HIPS type environment? Is there anything particular about installing / updating software with WDF 5.5 when you want to in general used the process monitoring abilities of the app'?

4. Does WDF store all its app' and process settings in Registry? There is a bunch of stuff in Registry which seems to be unreadable but suggests it is to do with the WDF permissions. What happens when WDF is updated to 5.5.x.x - are the existing settings preserved?

13. feniks

feniks Registered Member

When I install new program I do that in learning mode. No problems so far. Recently installed IE 7 and updated no problems version in WDF and version of exe file iexplore.exe in c:\program files\Internet Explorer always the same.

However it is not the same as version number in IE Help\info about. WDF check version of exe in column Image Name. Check if that is OK.

Try to delete the IE entry in Process Monitor open IE and see if WDF update. Next time try to install in learning mode (to avoid pop ups) and see if is OK.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  14. Hairy Coo

(1) Probably update queries-(Yes its auto updating)-dont know what else,but it doesnt matter

(2)Leave Process Monitor enabled and all settings on High(also dont forget to enable all settings under File-Advanced Settings) ALL the TIME!

By disabling,no process monitoring is made and changes may not be immediately recorded until the monitor is on,which happened in your case

Absolutely nothing to worry -all processes and apps. will be recorded

If you have enabled the correct settings,you will get a popup querying changes.

(3)Regarding installs , nothing should be touched-no special action necessary,as its all

automatic,except answering pop-ups.

WDF of course has its own powerful HIPS-DSA.

(4)Dont fiddle around with the registry-the apps,etc store themselves-leave well alone!!

In short,nothing to worry about at all-except your turning off the Monitor:)

This is the most powerful part of the firewall

15. feniks

feniks Registered Member

Yes I forget to say dont turn off anything - do as Hairy Coo said.

Temporarily set WDF in learning/training mode is better than turn off monitoring/detections to avoid pop up during installation if you know the program. (that is why you turn off the process monitor?)

But for the price of few pop ups you will be safer. That is why WDF is installed for after all.

16. Hairy Coo

You shouldnt turn off the monitor at all as you are largely killing the firewalls power.

The monitor is DSA which controls most of the functions.

Comodo has a special install function,but its not necessary in WDF

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  17. ramgana

ramgana Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. The reasons I switched off training and monitoring during installs:

1. I noticed when I did not do this the installer program gets added into the process / monitoring list. I guess that is overcome by manually deleting them after the install is finished.

2. I was not sure if installs might fail if I did not respond quickly enough to pop-ups from WDF.

18. fosl

fosl Registered Member

Hello,

I just installed webroot desktop firewall 5.5 on a vista ulitmate 32 computer.
    Now, when I open Internet Explorere, I get a window that pops up and
    says " Extension CLSID Verifiacation Host has stopped working "
    After about 10 seconds or so IE opens and I can browse the internet.
    What is this all about? Never seen it untill about 10 minutes after installing
    WDF and trying to use IE.

Thanks
    AC

19. Hairy Coo

fosl--

A remote possibility-as it doesnt explain why its not working;

Do you have an ActiveX toolbar in IE(or any toolbar except google and Roboform).

After IE loads is it working? If not,the firewall may be disallowing it,or it may be necessary to uninstall it as an experiment.

Make sure to set the firewall to learning mode-possibly you incorrectly disallowed an alert to do with the CLSID-COM process.

In any case it cant hurt to try the standby routine of reinstalling Webroot and making sure that training mode is enabled for a few days.

20. fosl

fosl Registered Member

Thanks Hairy Coo. Yes, IE will still work after I close the error window.
    The options are search online for a solution or close the program.
    The program is verclsid.exe. I uninstalled webroot firewall and turned
    on vista firewall and everything was back to normal. Reinstalled webroot firewall and had the same problem. I called webroot support but they were stumped. They sent my problem to another department to try to figure it out. They will be sending me an email in a day or two with hopefully a solution. I then went to Microsoft and have learned that Microsofts Data Execution Program is shutting down verclsid.exe due to a modification from webroots firewall monitoring system. Ive been told to find another firewall that is compatible sith DEP. Im not sure that is really the reason. I will continue to research the problem.

21. Hairy Coo

Would you mind keeping us informed-really intriguing-I'm sure the PrivacyWare people,who designed the firewall would also be interested.

22. waters

waters Registered Member

Just put this on after using Sygate and finding it runs better.

23. waters

waters Registered Member

Has someone set this up for utorrent,if so please how

24. davidw_426

davidw_426 Registered Member

I'm running Emule with it and every few seconds I'm getting inbound/outbound popups with it, and it's driving me insane, lol. At least I can keep a good connection to it unlike with OA Free and Pro. Too bad too, OA free was a great and very quiet firewall.

25. Hairy Coo

Shouldn't be happening if you have enabled training mode for a short while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.