Webroot (spysweeper) firewall now free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

ThreatFire is always tempting for me to install, but because I like the design of its GUI and the Behavior based detection it offers. The thing is by using WDF with DSA enabled plus Avira, I know I don't need what little bit of extra protection TF may offer. Now if I still used AVG then I may consider adding TF.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Yes, TF's lightness does make it a good match with Avira, only using 15-16MB/ram between the 2 of them...

3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Don't temp me 19monty64, I just might install TF. LOL. Have you tried Webroot Desktop Firewall yet? I wonder if WDF protects during boot up? Hopefully Hairy Coo will know the answer. HC?

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

I can definitely tell you that WDF will start protecting as soon as it starts,as if you didnt know that.:blink:

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Hello HC. I know it protects as soon as it starts up, but what about until the desktop comes up? Or is that what you're saying? LOL.

6. Hairy Coo

Really dont know,but I have a feeling that the net is off until WDF is active,based on the occasional net connecting icon in the taskbar,coincidental with the WDF start.:)

7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I guess it doesn't matter that much as I'm behind a router firewall. I posted early that I don't feel I even need a software firewall, but since WDF runs so light I figure I get what added protection a software firewall may give, plus DSA's HIPS. I plan on sticking with this firewall because of DSA and because it runs so darn well. I may put AVG back on though. I like Avira and the outstanding protection it offers, but it may be the culprit behind a Document I have through my Corel Word Perfect not responding occasionally when I click to open it. It opens up and then freezes and I have to end it. I don't remember this happening with AVG installed and I think it may have something to do with that the way Avira checks files in Real Time compared to AVG. I'll know for sure if Avira is to blame once I decide to reinstall AVG. I have ruled out WDF as I shut it down for awhile and still had this happen with my Document. All right then, take care HC and thanks for the reply.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  8. Hairy Coo

9. Hairy Coo

Wordward-reading the thread on PF5-Stem said there was no protection in that version-maybe its changed in PF6o_O

EDIT; If you want to force WDF to start first-use this;

http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&dl=startdelay

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  10. waters

waters Registered Member

2 questions,how to turn off log,and what is correct settings for utorrent.I have allowed and it has set up 3 rules for it

11. 19monty64

Haven't tried WDF yet, as I'm still playing with ThreatFire & AntiVir. As light as these 2 are, it's hard to say when I'll test out WDF....
    ...not trying to tempt you :rolleyes:

12. adam777

adam777 Registered Member

Hello all.
    Gave it a little round in my PC.
    Seems really nice, with the memory usage (about 20MB, if I remember correctly) I can live.
    The thing that annoyed me was the relative high CPU usage (at least 5% all the time, most of the time around 9%-10%).
    Can other users of this FW confirm?

13. Hairy Coo

Something is wrong-my WDF exe.CPU usage is zero when dormant and not above 1% when active.

This is measured with TaskManager-of course other apps.register an active reading-explorer,ie etcetc.

Presumably you are reading the right headings:)

Waters-regret I have no uTorrent knowledge at all-hope some one can help.

Cannot see any way to disable the log

14. adam777

adam777 Registered Member

OK, I might have another look at it :)

15. feniks

feniks Registered Member

Hi adam777.

Memory usage about 10-20MB.

CPU usage most of the time 0%. When I use eMule etc. so then WDF is at top of being busy I had to watch for long time to observe very rare jumping from 0% to 2% sometimes 3%. I have AMD64 3000+ Venice. Hairy Coo may have better CPU thats why 1% when busy.

By the way Stem in his review of PrivateFirewall 5 was kind of pleased with security level of this firewall. Anybody know if his objections where fixed in this version, I mean WDF is PF 6.0.

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

adam777. What other programs are you using? Speaking only with limited experience I have found when certain security programs are run together they can make another program or each other run at a higher memory usage than normal.

17. Hairy Coo

My CPU is a dual core overclocked(as fast as a Bugatti!),so what you say is quite possible-however Adams readings are too high and as Wordward says,probably due to some other app.

Regarding PF6,as this hasnt officially been released by Privacyware,no one on the outside knows what has been changed.

As I said the only way to find out probably would be to PM the Privacyware rep,who seems quite helpful-Webroot arent geared up to that sort of enquiry iin my experience

EDIT; However I wonder what CPU you are using Adam,maybe its just due to lack of power

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  18. 19monty64

Hairy Coo,
    on a sidenote, what do you use for overclocking? I used Prime95 most recently but didn't get much benefit..

19. Hairy Coo

For testing I use Orthos,which tests both CPU cores at once.

Otherwise ,for the actual overclocking,only the BIOS itself,in my experience software doesnt lock the higher speed in place.

My original speed was 2400,o'clocked to 3400mhz:thumb:

Lets know if I can help.

20. 19monty64

Thanks, I'll look into that.

21. 19monty64

Does anyone use WDF just for the firewallo_O Is it DSA that makes it so popularo_O I use sandboxie, so I'm just curious about the firewall...

22. Hairy Coo

According to this,

http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

DSA IS the firewall,except for Advanced Application Security(whatever that is) and of course,the front end.

23. 19monty64

Sorry Hairy Coo, I meant WDF with the default-settings so DSA is disabled. Not bashing, but DSA had a bit of memory-lapses for me. I set it to block a few things, and after a reboot the "blocked" settings were back to "allowed". They were Windows processes that I just figured DSA couldn't block, like Dr.Watson, WMP, etc. (I have these processes disabled, but for testing I re-enabled them temporarily.)

24. Hairy Coo

Well Monty,as Privacyware say the majority of components in the firewall are DSA ones,if you disable it-wouldnt you say,it would render the firewall pretty useless.
    Guess I use it because its a good compromise mix of a lot of good features,possibly a bit more than some others,for my own particular requirements.

25. 19monty64

Yea I guess you're right. If using WDF w/out DSA (default settings) limits its abilities, then there's no point installing it. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.