Webroot (spysweeper) firewall now free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Well that explains everything,thanks.:D
    I am using Threatfire instead,which works well

2. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I'm not sure if I read the post correctly. Does it mean that there is behavior based protection that's disabled by default in Webroot Desktop Firewall, but that it can be enabled?

3. Hairy Coo

I cant see any way to enable -I would say definitely not, but have just emailed WebRoot for the definitive answer!

Threatfire works fine instead,as mentioned.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thank you. I'm happily running Online Armor Free, but it's becoming more tempting to try this Firewall. Any more observations since you have it installed Hairy Coo?

5. Hairy Coo

Well Wordward,Ive tried all the free firewalls and Webroot seems at least as good as any of them,for various reasons.

I also tried OA,but for me there were several conflicts,but if you are happy with it ,I can't see any compelling reason to change.

After all, OA has a built in HIPS and an excellent reputation.

Maybe you could just test Webroot to satisfy your curiosity:D

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Is this thing any good? Could you give it to someone who was pretty much non technical and it would work.

That means all pop-ups are obvious, and not too many at that, and you don't get any from apps that are not trying to access the net.

Or, is this another firewall that overwhelms the user with choices that never end, and the chances of getting it wrong and letting out something bad are better than 50%.

7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thank you for your reply Hairy Coo. I wouldn't uninstall OA Free at this point because I like it so much, but after reading the post about the differences between Webroot Desktop Firewall and Private Firewall I wonder if WDF couldn't be used with OA free? I know it's a no no to run two firewalls together, however isn't that what the Privacyware person was saying you could do with WDF in this post? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1099305&postcount=7 Also if possible could someone show a few screen shots of the Firewall?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  8. Hairy Coo

Diver-Less popups than usual with more technical firewalls and otherwise seems to meet your requirements for use by the less technical user.
    Basic display alerts are turned off by default.
    As discussed,it doesnt have DSA,which was popping continuously when I used it elsewhere.
    Suggest using with Threatfire.
    Passed all the ports stealth tests(except ping).

If you arent happy with it as regards popups,maybe try Filesclab (excellent).

edit; it has been suggested that DSA can be turned on,out of the default OFF position and I have emailed WDF for an answer

9. Hairy Coo

In my experience,Webroot is fussy about running with some other apps,but would in any case suggest there is no advantage running it with OA whatsoever.
    OA for me has a nicer GUI and more modern feel,in any case!

If it aint broke etc etc; but if you want to check it out,maybe instal under Returnil without uninstalling OA

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

with your help I'm slowly losing the urge to try WDF. I still wouldn't mind seeing some screen shots so hopefully someone will post a few of them here or in the old Firewall Screenshot thread.

11. Hairy Coo

You're doing the right thing-give it up,resist the urge,be strong:D

The screenshots are basically the same as the ones for PF, except no DSA popups ,which are the bigger ones on page 2-3-4.
    http://www.privacyware.com/pf_product_tour.html

A description for WDF here
    http://www.webroot.com/consumer/products/desktopfirewall/features.html

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Oh so that's what it looks like. No wonder you said OA free looks better.Not that the WDF GUI looks bad, but OA is nicer IMO. I'm going to bed now and dream about Firerwalls, LOL.

13. Hairy Coo

Sweet dreams,I'm on the other side of the pond,so beddybyes another 8 hours or so-to dream about the next OA due out anytime- which hopefully wont conflict with the rest of my setup.

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Yes, Filseclab may do fine. Another to consider may be NetVeda as it was recently upgraded and is free.

http://www.netveda.com/downloads/index.htm

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Any screenshots of OA( Firewall portion, not the HIPS) on their site? Thanks

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

17. Hairy Coo

The rep. for PrivacyWare https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1099305&postcount=7

stated that;

"All DSA functionality is integrated into Privatefirewall 5/6 and WDF 5.5. The key difference between the Privacyware version and Webroot's is very simple - the behavior-based features (DSA) are disabled by default in WDF 5.5 and enabled by default in PF5/6."

Therefore my previous conjectures about the lack of DSA -ALL ARE INCORRECT:oops:

Lusher has suggested a way to turn on DSA;

Set Process monitor to "High", right click on every process, and set everything to "ask" and you will have the same noisy popup DSA you are used to.

However,to try to get absolute certainty as regards turning on,I have emailed WebRoot.

With DSA included,should be a top firewall!

My thanks to Lusher for pointing this out to me.!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I looked at the screen shots of WDF that you told me about Hairy Coo, but I swear I saw a screen shot somewhere before that looks more like something Webroot would have put out. Could this have been an older version?

20. Hairy Coo

Wordward-check out the link to the PW rep.above-DFW is a later version than the current PF(their new version apparently is coming out shortly),hence the difference in the GUI,which is only slight -to do with looking more attractive,like different colours.

"Webroot Desktop Firewall 5.5. WDF 5.5 is indeed based on Privatefirewall 6.0 (which will be released in a couple of weeks). '

21. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

No problem, and I wasn't trying to contradict you. I just saw something different that I believe was older. Take care.

22. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I think I clivcked on applications. No problem DSA is there push tab up to medium or high .

23. Hairy Coo

Didnt quite know what was required-bestest Hairy:D

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hmm... I wonder which DSA features got turned off??

From Webroot FW's List of Features...

-- That ^ seems directly comparable to DSA's Email Anomaly Module.

Also from Webroot FW's website...
    THAT ^ seems to correspond to DSA's Process Protection module.

Also from Webroot FW's website...
    THAT ^ seems fully equivalent to DSA's Systems Anomaly Module.

Ergo, it seems to me that at least *a good sized chunk of DSA* is pretty much incorporated into Webroot's FW. Or... am I mis-interpreting?

25. Hairy Coo

The SAGA re activating DSA within WDF continues.

It has been established by THE PrivacyFirewall rep.that DSA exists,but is OFF by default in WDF .

Here's a clue

"By default, the Webroot Desktop Firewall will not turn on process monitoring, process detection, or system anomaly detection after the training period; these can be activated via their corresponding checkboxes in the Settings dialog box"
    (WDF Read Me)

Therefore it looks like activating DSA is achieved by going to:

File-advanced settings and then enabling each-Email Anomaly Detection-System Anomaly Detection and Advanced Application Settings- plus the previous suggestion of turning the Process Monitor to High/Ask.

These functions all seem to be part of DSA ;

"Dynamic Security Agent is a signature-less, anti-malware and desktop defense application comprised of several distinct technology layers designed to block or mitigate the damage caused by intrusion, virus and other malware attacks. DSA features the following layers of defense technology:

- Application Monitor/Manager
    - Registry Monitor
    - Process Monitor/Manager
    - Email Anomaly Analyzer/Manager
    - System Anomaly Analyzer

(PrivacyWare)

The remaining function,Registry Monitor is a mystery, however-no more boxes to enable!

From memory,none of the checkboxes are activated by default, even in the training period.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.