Webroot SecureAnywhere PUBLIC Beta

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by PrevxHelp, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overangry

overangry Registered Member

Hi Joe, just received the latest build.
    Just a quick question, I have noticed that I haven't seen any noticeable changes to the firewall.

I took it for a quick spin in my VM. I noticed that the firewall hasn't been made more user-friendly.

No disrespect, this suite is awesome. But the firewall gives me the same warning whether Killer_malware.exe wants to connect to the internet or Hitmanpro.exe wants to connect.

Assuming I have no Idea, I have clicked allow to download both of the previously mentioned files, I will click YES to both when given the current firewall warning.

One has a verified signature the other doesn't, one connects normally to the internet the other in an unexpected and suspicious way.

The warning however is the same, no sign that maybe I should be concerned with allowing this connection.

Colour coding, unexpected connection warning, connecting in a suspicious manner warning, resolving IP's, anything would be of help and surely an improvement.

It would be good to see changes in the firewalls behaviour before it is released, as I believe it will be a feature the end-user will have to pay more for.
    If it remains a feature that leaves me guessing, well I suppose you can do without it, that would be a shame.

There is nothing worse, than if you are not sure whether to allow or not allow an action that could potentially cripple your PC.
    Should I, shouldn't I, what should I do, if only I knewo_O

I am aware that I can run another firewall...

All of the above aside, you have a remarkable product which I'm sure will protect me in the years to come, with or without firewall.

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Just got it too! ...Just another 2 snapshots to get updated, also. :)

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

...more than a tweak! :D ;)

Attached Files:

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I agree - we are still planning on adding more data to give to the user when prompting them, however, the average user still wouldn't know right from wrong at that point, which is why we focus on the firewall being cloud-informed. This is always an area worth improving but we're focusing on other fixes which are more applicable to the average user who doesn't know what digitally signing is (and frankly, with all of the digital certificates that have been stolen recently, digital signing is not reliable enough in my opinion).

That being said, we will definitely be looking to improve this in the near future :thumb:

5. PrevxHelp

I agree :) We're planning some longer-term improvements to the sandbox and interaction with it via commandlines. This is all coming a bit further down the line as the number of users that actually use those features is quite small but we are still keen to make it as strong of a feature as possible.

Thanks again for the feedback!

6. overangry

Thanks for the quick response, I agree with you...

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I am pleased to report that the latest build 8.0.0.15 has resolved the previously reported problem of the task selection window not getting closed when the Alt key is released, when using the Alt-Tab key combination to switch between windows. :)

8. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Do you have FW set to ask permission for everything that want to get out, when you experience this with Hitman vs Killer?

9. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

On a side note, I'm gonna miss this little Nautilus-style icon. The Dubya is a backward step - cosmetically speaking.

10. Rivalen

Acrobat Reader failed updating.

First time for me - ever - and I think first time AR tried updating since I got 8007. Is this WSA issue or should I look elsewhere? AR didnt have the authority to update - or similar - was the message.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards

11. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

I read a lot of stuff about webroot's productline
    these are the products have being released

Webroot SecureAnywhere and Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus, Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials.

which program have i installed now? WSA or WSA Antivirus
    little bit confusing

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If you see Identity & Privacy on the left panel when you open WSA, you have the Essentials/Complete version. The Firewall and System Cleaner components are also only available in either of these two versions.

13. PrevxHelp

That's correct, but the final Essentials/Complete versions will have additional functionality as well which hasn't been released into all beta users yet.

14. Pablo87

so its better that i uninstall my wsa essentials/complete
    because i have ESS 5 as my antivirus
    But where can i register my self for wsa/prevx?

15. PrevxHelp

I don't think it is - you can use WSA Essentials/Complete alongside ESS if wanted. It includes the antimalware protection as well, unless I'm misunderstanding your question?

16. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

I'm still on 8.0.0.7, why haven't my version updated to 8.0.0.15. Would this be because i'm not on the private beta testers list and get updates later or are the updates simply pushed out over several days? :)

P.s. Have the complete version i think, at least i have the Identity & Privacy on the left panel.

17. PrevxHelp

That's correct - we haven't released it to the public testers yet :)

18. Pablo87

Ok, i mean there are three versions

Webroot SecureAnywhere, Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus, Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials

wich one is the best for me, the one that i use now?
    the WSA that i use now is a great product, no conflicts or issue's
    and it running smooth so i think stick to this one!

19. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

Ah, i see. It's shaping up nicely btw, might even go for an upgrade to the full version when done, my initial (pre-beta) fears of an intrusive and annoying extra FW has vaporized.

Thank you, Joe. :)

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

You can use any of those versions with ESS. What PrevxHelp was saying is that even the full Complete version will work alongside ESS if you want to.

21. overangry

The FW is left at default, my strife is that I am unable to determine if a connection attempt is legitimate or not. Both warnings are virtually identical.

PrevxHelp has stated, quote "I agree - we are still planning on adding more data to give to the user when prompting them.... That being said, we will definitely be looking to improve this in the near future"

This would help in making a more appropriate choice:D

22. overangry

Just noticed, Windows defender is blocked from accessing the internet?

I didn't block it.

Edit: sent log to support

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Just to inform you that WSA v.15 was blocking update of Adobe Reader to build 10.1.1 I couldn't get through the update process until I completely switched off WSA. I was getting prompts that the access to certain files was rejected or something like this. I can't recall full details. After WSA was down I was able to successfully update AR.

24. Rivalen

Still on 8007. On third attempt Acrobat Reader update completed.

Big x64 Windows update failed 1 of 7 i think it was. Just reporting - if its of interest. Will report if or if not on next attempt.

Best regards

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Would it be ok to run this along with the new Eset ESS (that includes a firewall). Or should I just run Eset's AV?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.