Webroot SecureAnywhere Discussion & Update Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Triple Helix, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Triple Helix

Triple Helix Webroot Product Advisor

Well here is an older Passmark Test with the Business Client which is basically the same as the Consumer Client: https://www.passmark.com/reports/Webroot_SecureAnywhere_Business_vs_competitors_2017_Edition_1.pdf

2017-11-28_12-08-11.png

2. d_r

d_r Registered Member

Just to be clear, I've been with WR for a few years and plan to continue, all I'm saying is that because of an occasional problem on my machine (and apparently those of a few others) it would be nice if one could drop the run priority.

Incidentally, I just tried a scan to see if I could reproduce the problem. Here is a screen shot just before the scan, and one around halfway in; I stopped it at that point to keep the machine from crashing. (I hope I'm doing images right!)
    cpu_WR.JPG cpu_WR_1.JPG
    Of course, it might not be the CPU that is generating the heat, it could be a bus or a disk interface (the drive is an Intel SSD, FWIW), though my HD backups usually don't trigger overheating.

3. Triple Helix

Like I said if you feel it's WSA contact Webroot Support and they will look into it, there's nothing I can do on the forums.

4. Triple Helix

@d_r this is my test!

2017-11-28_20-43-13.png

5. d_r

d_r Registered Member

I never meant to imply that this was a problem for everyone, just that it wasn't not a problem for anyone.

Incidentally, I uninstalled and reinstalled last night, it had no effect. At some point if it persists I'll file a support ticket, meanwhile I'll just run the laptop on a lower power scheme.

It is interesting that your ratio of WR CPU load to total CPU load is higher than mine, I increasingly suspect that the overheating is due not to CPU but to something else that the scans are stressing, such as disk access or load on the system bus.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

This is probably old news, but it appears WSA now forces you to enter a email address when installing? Also, it closed all my web browsers without prompting me. I don't remember it doing this stuff before, at least not the mandatory email.

7. Triple Helix

Yes most times it will ask for your email address as it checks with the one from the Online Console and you should close all Browsers when installing WSA as it needs to add extensions to supported browsers. Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console I know with the Android Mobile App it needs your Online Console email and password to register it.

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Ok, I've been using WSA forever, and this was the first install I can remember it FORCING me to enter my email, but maybe I'm just getting old and forgetful.

9. Triple Helix

Like I said most times and mostly on a clean reinstall of the OS or a new system.

10. Triple Helix

@_CyberGhosT_ where did you get the Idea that Webroot was using Emsisoft signatures? https://malwaretips.com/threads/webroot-the-only-small-av-left.77714/page-2#post-693943 :gack:

https://youtu.be/5fziq3kpfyc

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  11. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

It was something I misread :( I stated as much over there at MT

12. Triple Helix

When you say something like that you need proof. Which is noway true in any form.

13. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

omg, I wasn't the source, I was commenting on what I had read. It was not a big thing lets not make it that brother. ;)

14. Triple Helix

Where did you read that? Link please! That's what I mean about proof.

15. zord

zord Registered Member

Does version on vt and desktop have these same signatures ?

sample file SHA-256 d452aa1f75005d4a1ad26e104cfc6eff5c8ee4ead5d6a0134c8374d94efb5d8c
    VT: Webroot W32.Adware.Gen
    Webroot on my pc: undetected

16. Triple Helix

That is very odd so I looked for the MD5 on the SHA-256 on VT and it's detected on VT and here from Webroot not. And yes it's the same Cloud Database and in reality VT doesn't use the full scanner as with most AV's on VT they just use some sort of SDK from each vendor.

You can upload files or check MD5 hashes here: http://snup.webrootcloudav.com/SkyStoreFileUploader/upload.aspx

File identification
    MD5 07843a6ec65881be65ae8776975997bf
    SHA1 8864ca1bf76766491c86c16bdb917ec68373018a
    SHA256 d452aa1f75005d4a1ad26e104cfc6eff5c8ee4ead5d6a0134c8374d94efb5d8c

2017-12-07_18-29-28.png

17. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

https://www.virustotal.com/en/faq/
    Edit: did you download File: SNS-HDR_Lite.exe or File: SNS-HDR_Pro.exe from https://www.sns-hdr.com
    FWIW ~ both executable are VT 0/67 & Unclassified by WebrootSA ~ YMMV

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  18. Triple Helix

Now detected as Adware!

2017-12-08_11-33-14.png

19. zord

zord Registered Member

another file version not detected ;)

SHA-256 2660917942b77130a67b6673ec3e3c43a895af8a2c43314eae15f0c0fd9451c0

6t7yu9i0o.JPG

20. Triple Helix

It would be best if you contact Webroot support directly! Webroot Customer Service

21. Turing Doenitz

Turing Doenitz Registered Member

Can I pose a potentially heretical (by Watson and Crick +1 standards for sure) question please: Webroot Vs Windows Defender
    I have been using Webroot for about 3 years or so (I bought several licences when they we on special at the time on Newegg). I have been very happy with it as it "just works" with minimal fuss and is light on system resources. I have played around with other AV's over the years but have gone back to Webroot after their respective trials have expired.
    Anyway, for the last 2 months I have been using Windows Defender with Windows 10 Pro Creators Update 1709 with several additional mitigation tweaks using group policy editor (thanks Martin_c), and have had no issues.
    My main question would be with Defender getting better and better with cloud heuristics and detection (given it's larger user base) and very rapid signature updates would the average user be better of with Defender or Webroot in the future?

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Turing Doenitz Depending on how fast your computer is, you may find that WD causes very noticeable slowdowns at times, whereas WSA doesn't. However, because the system impact of security software varies so much from one computer to the next, the only real way to tell if WSA will be lighter than WD is to try both individually on the same PC.

Well I just reread your post, and see that WD is working find for you, but still, WSA may be lighter.