Webroot SecureAnywhere Discussion & Update Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Triple Helix, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Yes, out of date! ...I think it should be showing 2017. ;)

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I just booted, and it updated. :)

3. Triple Helix

Triple Helix Webroot Product Advisor

Yes I can confirm! ;)

4. Triple Helix

5. Zorak

Zorak Registered Member

How gradual is the rollout supposed to be? I still haven't received version 9.0.18.34 which was released on 25 September 2017.

6. Triple Helix

9.0.18.34 had a communication bug so you should get v9.0.18.38 so if you don't have it now just download and install over top and do a reboot to set the new WSA driver.

Standard PC Download Link:

http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe

7. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

HI

I would like to use WSA AV with ESET NOD32 AV.....to compliment one another.

Any known conflicts?

Thanks

8. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

None that I have heard of. WRSA generally plays very with most other security applications.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

The last time I checked (about 2 years ago) WSA's Identity Shield module (not sure what it's called now) prevented Eset from injecting into Firefox, and without Eset injecting into the browser it would take away some of Eset's exploit & banking protection. I believe this would be the case with other browsers as well.

I believe they fixed the issue, but informed me that the problem could arise again with future updates to Eset or Webroot. I was informed I may have to choose between Eset's Web Protection, or WSA's Identity Shield if the problem arose again. I very much wanted to use them together also. You can test this for yourself using an application like Process Explorer, or Process Hacker.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Another thing it caused on my machine that I forgot to mention in my prior post is that it caused the browser process to not shutdown when closing the browser. It would appear that the browser shut down, but if I looked in task manager it would still be running. This would cause the browser to eventually experience freezes if the extra browser processes were not terminated. This does not mean that you will experience the same problem, and this was about 2 years ago so it may no longer be a problem. I think it is something you should monitor though to make sure that it is not still a problem.

Edited 10/07/17 @ 5:37

11. NiteRanger

Hi

I just tested WSA AV with ESET NOD32 AV and can confirm that the browsers FF/Chrome did shut down. There's nothing running in Task Manager when the browsers are closed

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  12. NiteRanger

Hi

How to do the test? What am I supposed to see with Process Explorer?

Thanks

13. Cutting_Edgetech

It didn't happen right away. I think it started to occur around the third day.

14. Cutting_Edgetech

I will see if I have time later to make you a video so you can see what to look for, and know how to use Processor Explorer. I'm busy with school work at the moment.

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is that Eset now uses Windows built in Firewall (Windows Filtering Platform), and they did not until version 9 or 10 (not sure which one). Webroot also uses Windows built in Firewall, and the Firewall functionality comes with Webroot Antivirus, Internet Security Plus, and Internet Security Complete. You may want to check with Webroot to see if they may conflict. I'm interested in knowing this myself. When I tested them together Eset still used their own filtering driver instead of Windows Filtering Platform like they do now.

16. NiteRanger

Yes, I'm aware that WSA AV's firewall needs the default Windows firewall to be turned on to provide outbound notification.

But, I'm not using Windows FW nor WSA AV FW and I have both disabled. I'll be using ZoneAlarm Free FW

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Do you need to save money by using Zone Alarm free? Have you used Eset Firewall? It seems to be pretty good. It offers IDS, botnet, and network exploit protection. It was able to block the CIA exploit that used SMB to spread WanaCry. Very few security products were able to block the exploit.

18. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I ran WSA and Nod32 together, without apparent problem, before deciding that WSA alone is very adequate. Here is the recommendation for running 2nd AV alongside WSA.
    https://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=10&ruleid=1984

19. Cutting_Edgetech

Did you happen to use Process Explorer, or another Process manager to check to see if NOD 32 was able to inject into browsers while you used WSA? When I ran them together there were no visible problems other than occasional browser freezing which did not happen often. If I had not used Process Explorer to check to see if Eset, and WSA was injecting into the browser properly then I would have never known about the problem. I'm going to run them together again soon, and see if I experience any conflicts.

20. NiteRanger

I'm using ESET IS in another set up

21. Muddy3

Muddy3 Registered Member

Ditto for me. However, I never did @Cutting_Edgetech 's test so I'm unable to comment on that question.

22. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

That was good to know. I just excluded WRSA.exe from third party real-time scans/modules, like ZAM that i run with WSA.

23. NiteRanger

I know NOD32 and WSA AV do duplicate in some areas.

Any advise which to disable?

Thanks

24. Triple Helix

Firewalls' are not a big deal as they use to be as I run Windows Firewall for inbound and outbound protection along with WSA's outbound Firewall along with Glasswire's outbound Firewall and all behind a NAT Router. I can't advise about NOD32 or ESET IS with WSA but try what @Dermot7 posted and if you come across any issues contact Webroot Support: Webroot Customer Service

25. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I think there has been an uptick in interest since the CCleaner supply chain attack, with it's malicious outbound connections to CnC servers.