Webroot SecureAnywhere AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sher, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Sadly you're right. :'(

2. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@chabbo
    Nice price! Can be easily converted to WSA. :thumb:

4. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Attached Files:

5. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Today, I got my first BSOD in Windows 8 courtesy of WSA AntiVirus 2013. I have never been a fan of two active real time security programs working together. I am more than happy with the performance of Emsisoft at the moment.

Therefore, I have uninstalled WSA from my system. Is there any uninstall tool available for it? How does the built-in uninstaller work? Does it clean the registry thoroughly?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The built-in uninstaller will fully remove everything but it would be helpful to send us the dump so that we can identify the cause. If you could PM me a link to download it or write into our support inbox where they'll use our dump collection tool, I'd appreciate it!

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well using it on Windows 8 and trying something different everyday, and yes it was Panda yesterday, I still know for me WSA works the best on windows 8.

Honestly, I have been hard on these folks off and on for a year but the reality is, they actually accomplished what they set out to do and the product works. WSA is a top notch security program and the reviews I now know are true. Yes, it approaches malware in a different method compared to traditional AVs, but it has been time way overdue for someone to do this.

WSA, actually may be the new wave of how products migrate in 2013 and 2014 if not to compete, but to actually stay alive. WSA may have just cornered the market, hmm, not cornered, but redefined, the way malware will be fought.

And the prices, I mean how can you not buy it and use it. AVs are way overpriced. This is a jewel.

8. PrevxHelp

Thank you! :thumb:

9. itman

itman Registered Member

Is WSA compatible with Norton 2012/2013?

Is WSA built on the Prevx 3 engine?

10. PrevxHelp

Yes.

It is built on the "Prevx 4" engine which was a rewrite over P3 but still contained everything from it and much more.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I have PrevX on my wife's laptop. Because of the read 4GB SSD-it got, so WSA is the lightest AV on that laptop(even disabled local data base, for less harddisk writes). Only got one point of critism. Now WSA sets untrusted processes to trusted after some time of usage when central servers think it is safe to do so.

I like to define the untrusted processes myself (is possible now). With the limitations put on untrusted processes by WSA, I really don't care how click happy the user of a PC is. I am not using that PC, so for my peace of mind: where is the "keep untrusted" option?

:blink:

Side note:

A friend of mine works as security researcher for a large banking corporation. Disassembling and reverse engineering malware is also his hobby. Before I choose for PrevX4 it was tested against real life examples gathered from his honeypots. PrevX4 pre-beta had consequent high proctection scores against fresh samples. Other cloud based AV's were no match, only two traditional AV's could keep up with this pre-beta (in terms of fresh malware/real life protection)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Just couldn't agree more. :thumb:

13. PrevxHelp

If you mark it as Untrusted after the cloud has marked it as trusted, it should remain there. I've tried it myself and it's still untrusted after a reboot so I suspect that will work moving forward. Let me know your results :)

14. Kees1958

I know I have reset all internet facings aps to untrusted on wife's laptop three weeks ago. Will have a look. Since when should this be implemented?

By the way I am not testing with fresh samples anymore since the PrevX4 pre-release went closed beta (results of
    pre-beta were so good I put on my wife's laptop :D )

thanks anyway :thumb:

15. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Attached Files:

16. PrevxHelp

It should have been in there for quite a while (a few months). Feel free to PM me a link to a scan log to investigate closer if you like :)

17. PrevxHelp

Very strange, I think it would be worth contacting Symantec to see what they say their reasoning is for that.

18. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

The fact that your support (e.g. PrevxHelp) is still top-notch makes me consider to buy a license my next payout - I always support companies who give their customers bang for their buck. :)

19. PrevxHelp

Long time no see, raven211 :) I hope all's well!

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Do you have an overview of the limitations put on untrusted processes?

21. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Sure is. I've just not seen a reason to have a more complex setup than an AV and hardware FW for some time, but came back for some inspiration. :D

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Kees, can you share with us your settings in heuristics please. thanks

23. Kees1958

@PrevXhelp
    When using password protection the changes to process control do not stick, when using default captcha it sticks o_O

@Jeff
    See pic. new user interface requires less tweaks to the settings (your critism on complexity of initial PrevX4 user interface has contributed :D to more intelligence in default settings in WSA and more straight forward user interface, well done Jeff :thumb: and PevX help :thumb: )

Attached Files:

• WSA.png
      WSA.png
      File size:
      85.8 KB
      Views:
  24. Kees1958

The WSA tweak (resource usage one down) is due to hybrid disk (SSD read cache, normal HDD write storage). On my own PC I do not use an AV, so I like the extremely low CPU usage, see pic

So when you have don't have a SSD or Hybrid, keep resource usage on default.

Attached Files:

25. Cyrano2

Cyrano2 Registered Member

@Kees1958

You've convinced me... trialing Webroot SecureAnywhere AV 2013 :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.