Webroot mortgaged the house

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well, now the picture has gotten pretty clear as to what Webroots intentions were with acquiring Prevx.

Webroot had turned into a heavy lackluster vendor. Products were not considered in the Top Tier and they realized it was time to throw a Hail Mary.

With the acquistion, and the release of their new products, they basically kept none of the old Webroot Security Products. Webroot Secure Anywhere is where they have placed all of their eggs, and only time will tell if this pays off.

Personally, I dont like 3 different offerings. I think the whole idea of selling to the 90 percent looking for software is to keep it as simple as possible. I like most vendors approach of a antivirus product and a suite. But what now falls in the middle??

I also think the new product is a tad bit over-loaded that will also make it confusing for those who shell out the money. But, it is so light that if it can be just a install and forget type product, then how can you complain. Even I still havent figured out the best settings.

I hope, they allow for a large influence by our Prevx friends on future development because to me, that is the key to $$$$$. Not knocking the Webroot staff but,yes I am, you had your chance and make some good products feel like they where wearing cement boots.

I really think the in store marketing, like Best Buy, saw it there yesterday, is a big plus. But if they really want to distance the 3 products apart, they really need to do more. If it were me, I would go with the Antivirus. Just because I think of it as the new Prevx.:)

Webroot took a huge gamble, and on the surface it is going to pay off. Keeping it paying 6 months, 1 year, and 3 years from now, is the key.

They also dropped the ball on the Prevx conversion of current license holders. Personally, to make up for this, all Prevx license holders should be offered a one year new license to the WSA Antivirus. This keeps your foundation solid, sends a signal to future buyers of your loyality and basically starts to BLOW away that dark cloud that was hovering over Webroot for the last 6 years.

They have everything in place to make it a winner, but allow the P over W influence to be more prevalent, or you may, just, regret, it.

2. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Nice post.

I sincerely hope you are right that Webroot continues to let Prevx drive the car, as they seem to have been.

I mean I'm not trying to diss "The First Internet Security Company," and perhaps they deserve to acquire a winner for being the first, but I think it's safe to say that anybody acquiring Prevx should adopt what they're giving, because what they're giving is tops.

EDIT: I will say in their defense the forum's large user base of suggestions probably heavily influenced the amount of features in the full version. I am actually glad they found a way to incorporate it all in such a light package. Only lacking formal parental controls, which I don't consider a terribly bad thing, they pretty much have you covered. I'm so glad they decided to tackle password security, because although I'm personally happy with my current convention, I feel that's so important.

I'm simply in love with the new product and its advanced tools for use with a technician. I'm not totally in love with the name yet, but I'll get used to it. ;)

3. webbit

webbit Registered Member

what i want to know is webroot were top of the class with spy sweeper, and they made security essentials which had firewall anti virus and spy ware what do we get with secure anywhere more or less, it just seem like supped up prev x to me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.