Webroot has released a new build of the Spy Sweeper

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm still using version 5.5.7 (version without antivirus) since I was displeased with version 5.8 build 51, it slowed down web browsing a bit (just a bit, but that was a bit too much), and I didn't like certain privacy implications. I believe build 51 was the one that came after a very unstable earlier build, which I tried, and subsequently quickly used my imaging software to go back to before the installation of the new version.

So, Webroot has released a new build. (55)
    Anyone interested in beta-testing this new version ? ;)
    It mentions enhanced antispyware protection, but the only thing I could find in the last version (build 51) was something about masked files. If you find more besides Vista compatibility and a gaming mode, feel free to tell us.

I'm not going to bother trying this new build, for now anyway.

If you do try it, it's important that you use a customized install. I'm still not sure about that tracking cookie, I was not able to find it when I was trying build 51, and I don't know if it's part of 5.5.7 too.

If you think that privacy is an issue: you can opt-out of certain things during the customized installation, and other security vendors gather and share your information too, example: McAfee has an arrangement with Doubleclick.

I believe you can try the Spy Sweeper (version with or without antivirus) for free, I'm not sure, but that free trial version has real-time protection but does not remove found malware.

2. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Sounds interestin. Where can one try it?

3. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Just so you know just coz brand X makes deals with devils dose'nt make it cosha for brand Y...just my opinion of course but 2 wrongs don't make it right:rolleyes:

So anyway if i choose to go for for the full install will you be Beta testing their data harvesting method too:gack:

Oh wow so is not fully functioning botkiller...if it finds something then you have to cough up dough for it to remove what it detects....i know someone who got caught out by this ploy about a year ago !
    On reviewing the supposedly SpySweeper disinfected system then it turns out they were 3 falsepositive detections and his purchase of this software was really not required:cautious:
    Anyway managed to get the fellow a refund granted but that said probaly in an extremely large percentage of these types of F/P scenario's then Webroot and their ilk are happily pocketing the the end user's $'s coz the end user is no wiser:thumbd:

Same sleazy promoting methodology of the bulk of fraud tools/rogue applications albeit from a legitimate vendor.Never did sit well when PCtools were pullin this cr@p and really dose'nt lie to happily with me now:shifty:

I must admit i prefer the SAS/MBAM type promoting models where they will get rid of the cr@p without costing the end user a penny:thumb: but hey guess again thats personal opinion:D

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I totally agree.

I wish users to be so wise that companies who play with the customers get a bitter lesson. No one should buy any software of them.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Maybe I was mistaken about the free trial.

On Webroot's website (webroot.com) a 'free scan' is offered, nothing more.
    Maybe on download.com, or majorgeeks ?

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

The funny thing is im still interrested in buyin dis :oops: Somehow it appeals 2 me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.