Webroot Acquires Prevx

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Scoobs72, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Until now I don't think Prevx could afford much of a PR department; that's probably a small part of the new resources the Prevx team should have at their disposal. :thumb:

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

just a FYI, and lodore you know this to be true. A few years ago one of the best malware fighters was, "Spy Sweeper". No kidding. It came in first in all the tests and most of us old ones used it. Then the infamous new yearly version came out and it became a ton of bricks on systems. I remember lodore well raising cane about his beloved SS.

This has happened to quite a few products with vendors over the years. But yes, it was a one all do all and it did what it said.

Ps. WindowWasher is pretty cool to.

Just walking down memory lane, not letting Joe off the hook yet.;)

3. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Yes it was. Come on guys, show some respect. :)

I really think this can be a good thing. Webroot has a lot of potential.
    I'm really hoping for the SOL 4 though.

4. viking313

viking313 Registered Member

Here here!!!!:thumb:

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

He's right you know :thumb:

I'd say about 6/7 years ago it was one of the better Keylogger detectors available at the time :thumb: I used to use it mainly on other peoples comps to check for KL's & other Spyware crud, which it often found :D One of the worst examples was nearly 4 thousand various assorted files on one comp :eek:

6. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

indeed and i also remember have to wait atleast 4 or 5 minutes to start and get the sweeper loaded and all that:D o_O

7. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

I think youre in a dream world mate, the owner/owners of Prevex are the people who ensure the product is sound and take responsibility if it fails they also put a significant amount of their money into keeping the product up to scratch, so I dont see how you can say you should have a say as to how they run their buisness, so you paid a lousy $40 or whatever it is you paid, if you dont like it dont buy it, and if you dont think their buisness dealings are to youre satisfaction then dont buy it again. Other buisnesses would tell you to ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ and mind youre own buisness, but Prevex management are to Proffessional and polite to do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  8. overangry

overangry Registered Member

9. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

10. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

My personal view is...Webroot...by all means leverage what you have bought in terms of including Prevx technologies in Webroot products BUT please continue to provide a product that is 'pure' Prevx, ie, as it is now/will be (hopefully) in version 4.

It has filled a niche that will always remain, ie, layered defense...an app that sits well with/complements other security apps.

I personally do not care what it is called as long as it is as described above...and I will buy a license and continue to do so for as long as it remains so.

Just my halfpenny's worth on the subject! :D

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Hopefully, we will at last see some solid anti-malware comparatives that include Prevx, in order to empirically demonstrate the quality of the protection provided by the product relative to competitive alternatives.

12. Pleonasm

It does not look likely that “the CEO that brought Prevx to where it is today” will take over Weboot. In fact, it appears that Mr. Mel Morris (the CEO, CTO and founder of Prevx) has been demoted to the rank of Vice President in Webroot (see here).

The senior management of Webroot (see here) are almost all at the C-level (e.g., Chief Technology Officer, Chief Strategy Officer) or at the Senior Vice President level. Mr. Morris appears not to be joining those ranks.

13. Pleonasm

It appears that Mr. Morris did well financially on this deal!

14. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

That's over 16.2 million in USD!

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, isnt that the goal of these start up companys. To create a product that works and make some money off of it.

More power to him.:thumb:

16. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Does support the overall opinion this acquisition won't be benificial for the Prevx employees and Prevx fans/users/lovers/long-term interested.

Also corresponds to all the empirical studies about acquisitions:
    - reasons for the acquisition are for the adopted party (Prevx) always short-term motives, i.e. big gains for the CEO (and also short-time shareholders);
    - reasons for the acquisition for the adoping party (Webroot) are always buying in competences/capabilities (Prevx technology) or market share consolidation by buying up competitor's market share (not in this case);
    - in the financial aspect 70% of the acquistions/mergers fail (also: below expectations);
    - in the long-term the adopted party won't have any profit of the acquisition, which also means the Prevx employees won't havy any profit.
    - if you consider more aspects than only the financial one, still a large majority of the acquisitions/mergers fail.

Let's hope in this case we/Prevx belong to the small minority. But the reactions as far as I have seen are not very promising, since they correspond to the reactions of adopted businesses from the past.

But, like I said; I hope this will be the exception that confirms the rule (if that is a valid English expression :p).

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I could come up with some good arguments why Prevx and it's users will suffer from this, but also arguments why they wouldn't and even might profit greatly from this. Truth is, we don't know Webroots secret plans and intentions and we don't know much details about the deal. As one wise green extraterrestrial once said: "Always in motion the future is." :p At this point there is no sense in jumping ship because the support and the product is still the same, and 4.0 will likely be also the same as planned before the takeover. If it after that changes for worse, then I might jump the ship, but for now it's still a great product and the great team behind it is also still the same. Plus, if everyone jumps ship and watching the ship sink and then saying I told you so, then it's more like a self fulfilling prophecy. If Prevx has a good paying userbase then Webroot will less likely be inclined to change it to something they think will get them more money, and if that userbase also makes its wishes about Prevx's independence known it could help even more :)

The amount of money is not specified ;)
    So it could also be £90 million.

18. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Now we can totally agree. Well done Mel! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

19. Pleonasm

Keep in mind that we don’t know what percent of the company was owned by Mr. Morris and what percent was owned by other private investors. For example, if he owned 10% of the firm, then his personal wealth may have ‘only’ increased by £1m+.

Additionally, Webroot may not have agreed to assume the existing liabilities of Prevx, and so the magnitude of the financial gain might be diminished.

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm not thrilled about Prevx being bought by Webroot, but If they continue to release high quality products as they always have then I will be sticking with them. I understand everyone's concerns though because history has shown that when an innovative company such as Prevx is bought by a larger corporation the quality of their products usually take a hit, and in many cases the product is phased out all together. I don't believe we have to worry about Prevx being phased out since this is normally done to eliminate the competition, and I believe Webroot would have much more to loss than gain by doing this. As far as quality is concerned I believe we want have anything to worry about as long as Webroot allows Prevx to continue to call the shots, and develop their own software. I've been using Prevx since the very fist build was released to the public so I would be as upset as anyone if the quality of their products diminished. Prevx should have a bigger budget for development now so maybe this could be a positive thing. Only time will tell. I say, give them a chance.

21. CloneRanger

ONLY a Mil $ :eek: Yeah peanuts, i wouldn't get out of bed for that :D

22. overangry

All speculation.
    12,000,000+ user base @ $30 on average per license = $360,000,000 pa. turnover.

Do the sums.

23. CloneRanger

How many of the 12 Mil are paid users though ?

How many actually paid $30 ?

If their anual turnover is Anywhere near $360,000,000 then MM got royaly ripped off for Anywhere around $10 Mil :D

So i can't see the $360,000,000 is Anywhere near realistic ! But i see how you came to that conclusion ;)

24. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Not really, do you know the technology behind the AV now? ---> Sophos

Sophos is not that great at all, so if this is going to be combing Sophos with Prevx that is hardly a kick ass x2...

I'll keep it simple, anyone that has been involved in computing along with a eye on security that has also been around since Spy Sweeper started knows it made a short name for itself and then went.

Window Washer in some ways had more popularity then Spy Sweeper.

Anyhow, I'm not here to bash anyone, the truth is, the proof is in the pudding, for all the hard work the Webroot people have put into their business better products over the years have emerged.

Truth is Webroot has always had a little bit of something going on and never really that great, so with Prevx going over their way, it means either finally Webroot can make a bigger stand, or Prevx is going to take a dump, only time will tell.

But with all the other great products out there, Webroot really needs to pull a rabbit out of their hat to get the attention of the old security community that has seen them from the beginning, because if they can't get that, then they have to get some fresh meat. ;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  25. overangry

Your absolutely right. Customer base should be right though, about their actual sales, as I said, speculation:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.