Webroot Acquires Prevx

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Scoobs72, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Sure it will be. Why it shouldn't? Here we are, as yesterday and as tomorrow ;)

2. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

the question is until when will you be here? personally think even 1 year maximum...o_O

the real question is where sophos in all this?

3. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

We'll stay far more than that :) Anyway, since we're here, why not going ahead all together on the road to Prevx 4? ;)

4. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

Sorry guys, but with webroot as boss - why would people pay for a year, only to end up with some webroot software on their pc down the line...

How peeved i would be if i just bought a licence, only to end up with webroot software half-way into the subscription, stating "includes prevx technology"

5. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

I fear that PrevX 4 not be a big failure...so long waiting PrevX 4 that Webroot had to become involved :D

@ PC Gamer
    "includes prevx technology"

for less than 6 months this will write to webroot products and the guys from support Prevx will be here h**p://twitter.com/WebrootSupport

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Add another word to the mix, Ewido Antimalware. Bought out and finally mergrd with AVG...:rolleyes: :cautious:

7. overangry

overangry Registered Member

I'm stunned:ouch:
    I just purchased a three year license last week, had I known a takeover of Prevx was in the making by Webroot, I would not have done so.

I can't see Webroot providing $$$$$, investing in research and development for two Av's.
    Prevx, the acquired Av will suffer, to what extent remains to be seen.

For me, Webroot is/was an inferior Av product that I personally wouldn't have chosen to protect my system.

@ PrevxHelp or EraserHW, can either of you please tell me if Webroot has already implemented or merged some of Prevx's technology in the current build of Webrooto_O

You see the dilemma for me is, will you still be be providing a high standard of product and customer support, one, two, or three years down the track. My gut feeling says no:(

Then I must ask myself the question, with the implementation of Prevx's technology will Webroot be a better product than Prevx, time will tell. Should that happen why should I purchase Prevx over Webrooto_O o_O

Two top notch Av's competing under one roof, with a common goal, consuming resources, just doesn't make sense.:doubt:

8. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Wonder how this will affect Hitman Pro.

9. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Oh man... I really hate to hear this..If webroot starts showing up in hitman pro..It will be a good bye to them as well as prevx from right now..Have fun..:mad:

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I MUST SAY I DID NOT SEE THIS ONE COMING! Webroot Spysweeper has an excellent detection rate for signature based software, but I am more than just a little concerned about Webroot integrating Prevx into their Antispyware or Security Suite and no longer offering it as a stand alone product. If they do decide to combine the two engines then I hope they can do so without making the software over bloated. Also I would hate to see the user forced to use their AV in order to use Prevx or Spysweeper. I know now that the user is able to use Spysweeper without using their AV. Let's hope this continues in their future line of products. I believe i speak for all of use when i say we want to be able to choose what AV we use. The one thing i can say about Webroot is I used their products in the past, and they do have excellent customer support. The best I've experienced anywhere. I wish Webroot, and Prevx the best of luck!

MESSAGE TO WEBROOT; DO NOT FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

This is on a par with (hypothetically) Yugo buying out Mercedes.

Fortunately, new cloud-based AVs are appearing rather often nowadays. I shall be taking a close look at Panda & other cloud-based security programs.

12. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Nicely said:D I am even looking at immunet:argh: :D

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Funny that the one thing you can say about Webroot ("they do have excellent customer support") is the one thing I definitely can NOT say about them. By no means do I intend to dig up all the old, bad Webroot memories in this thread, but I could not let that statement go without comment. Suffice it to say, Webroot released a horrific version of Spysweeper and let users suffer without fixing it for many months. They added insult to injury by refusing to acknowledge their substandard product, ignoring everybody who complained. It is, in fact, a cruel irony that a company with such a lousy customer support track record would buy out a company with such a sterling record.

Edit: typo :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  14. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Any company that integrated Prevx with their own product would then have a much better product.
    Webroot hasn't been impressing me for many years now. I just hope that they don't screw up Prevx.
    It would be great if they would have an option to purchase Prevx as a standalone product.

@ Prevx Help,
    What does this merger do to Hit Man Pro?
    And good luck to all of you.
    Hugger

PS:
    But really---Webroot?

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

How about not ignoring the more important question?

16. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Interesting news. Hopefully the Webroot team are reading this thread, as word-of-mouth is powerful to say the least.

What Webroot needs to do:
    >> Explain in more detail how they wish to position prevx - explain in a news article, announcement, soon to alleviate concerns from all of those prevx customers.

Wise man once say, "if it aint broke why fix it". If Webroot were as smart as I hope they are, they'd integrate prevx into their own technology, continue with their own webroot sales, and keep prevx plugging along as is with a great enterprise and consumer version. Best of both worlds yeah?

Kind of like when Ford owned Aston Martin (prevx is the Aston Martin in my analogy), used Aston Martin's research, but weren't stupid enough to make an Aston Martin look or drive like a Ford. Not dissing Ford, but you get my point.

But as Page and trjam mentioned, reality is different from promises.

Positive out of this, as long as Joe is still employed, still on this board, listening to feedback, then hopefully more guys like him will voice feedback to management, and ensure the product remains strong.

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Herein lies the crux of the matter. Since Prevx's model has been to use a light, fast and in-the-cloud approach then I can only assume that'll remain the case; it looks like they're adding that to what already exists at Webroot. Taking that to a logical conclusion, surely that means their engine isn't going to add "bloat"?

18. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I think everyone is becoming a little too hyped up here. If you have learnt -anything- from the Prevx business model, it is that they will maintain their small file size and performance.

The acquisition may be detrimental to the Prevx products, however, it most likely will not be. Joe has been nothing but spectacular with this forum, and with all of you - and if he still believes in his product, so should you.

...However if he doesn't ;) (just some humor :))

19. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

I didn't ignore it, I just don't know what else to reply moreover than what has been already written many times in this thread

20. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

No

PCTools got worse, but Symantec got better by a large margin. So, look forword to that scenario.

21. Fad

Fad Registered Member

I think the major concern here is whether or not Prevx is going to be tainted by existing webroot code - rather than the other way round (which as far as I can gather, nobody would actually care about one way or another)

ie: Is Prevx development at any time in the future going to be usurped by the webroot developers as a direct result of the merging of the two companies ?

Incidentally, out of curiosity I decided to check out the webroot "Free Scan" this morning which was an "interesting" experience to say the very least. :rolleyes:

22. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

This acquisition surprised me very much. But that I thought, if they are really going to combine the best parts of both products why not? SpySweeper always have been a cool program. I checked out some information about the latest Webroot on the internet, it was quite positive. So I thought let's try it out.

I read messages like that Webroot and Prevx are both moving in the same direction, both focused on innovation etc. But I can't see any good fit. For Prevx that is certainly all true, but for Webroot no way:
    - I tried out the install: it is the longest installer of all antimalware programs;
    - the updates took the longest time of all antimalware programs;
    - scans are slow;
    - it is bloatware with toolbars etc;
    - it isn't light at all.

So all arguments that Prevx will benefit from Webroot technologies are ********. It might profit from it's infrastructure or balance sheet, but not from technology.

However I have to admit they do have a beatiful GUI.

Conclusion: great move by Webroot. But I do sincerely hope it works out well for Prevx, and it is not strange that most people it won't. Since 70% of the mergers and acquisitions fail: fact. And the Prevx members can't deny that, they can ofcourse say like you said: judge us on our actions. But we have heard that always in the past, but like I said 70% fails.

23. Fad

Fad Registered Member

To necessitate the installation of Silverlight to make the interface work at all is absolute madness.

24. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Is this true? I can only laugh if it is! I'd never ever install Silverlight!

25. Fad

Fad Registered Member

It is true, and the reason I mentioned it on this thread (rather than just random spamming) was to point out that it`s "features" like this that will turn some people cold in an instant.

This was installed in my test this morning, along with it not installing properly, not uninstalling properly, locking up my PC on three occasions which required hard reboots, a 190 megabyte install folder which may have got bigger if it had installed correctly and the need to manually remove remaining traces after the failed install/uninstall and so on......Silverlight was just the icing on the cake.

If something is going to fail (even if it IS my fault or due to my setup), I would rather it failed gracefully and not bring my system to a grinding halt.

other people will no doubt have a faultless experience, but that`s simply what happened here - and the resulting concern that Prevx may go the same way to some degree or other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.