Webroot Acquires Prevx

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Scoobs72, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

We all understand it's just a piece of security software.
    I haven't seen anyone threatening to take their own life.
    You seem to think you've got this all figured out, but the "people" don't.
    Are you seriously suggesting that we all just cease commenting about a "breaking news" topic?
    Everyone is doing exactly what people do on a forum... gathering in one spot to share their comments.
    I get a laugh out of guys who show up and try to calm everyone down and sooth us all with their special insight.

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I must admit I'm surprised.

But let's think this through; if the best parts of each product can be merged, why wouldn't this be great news? I don't care what the name of the product is as long as it's good. I still haven't seen Prevx change to the bad. Maybe it will, but as long as Prevx is as good as it currently is, I'll use it every day of the year.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I get my kicks in slightly more enjoyable ways :) There is a distinct lack of analysis in most of these 'comments'. The majority are of the 'run for the hills' type. My perspective is that it's probably not as bad as some of the other mergers/buyouts we've seen. I have nothing 'figured out' as you seem to bizarrely think.

4. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Guys, you have had confidence in us during all these years, you have always been our top priority with your feedbacks and your wish lists.
    The team behind Prevx is always the same, it'll be the same. So, why not giving us still the same confidence? We'll try to do our best to not disappoint you, as always :)

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hey, I only wish the best for Prevx, but Eraser, even you dont know what the future really holds for Prevx now. What we and you are told is one thing, reality and time is another. I am not abandoning Prevx for combining with another company but more along the lines of who that company is. Like Page, Webroot will never resde on my machines, hence now Prevx wont either.

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I do hope everyone watches the download size and changes to the Prevx 3.0 line to put things into perspective. I just checked right now and the download is 923KB. The product is exactly the same, the people is exactly the same, and the support is exactly the same... I'm really unsure where all of the complaints are originating from?

7. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

May I ask why you are changing now when Webroot has not even fully had anything to do with PrevX yet? It would be different if Webroot had already made changes to PrevX and people did not like the changes made but nothing has changed yet. Who knows, maybe Webroot will do a great job with the product and everyone will still love it like now?

Besides I can think of a lot worse things that could happen to PrevX

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Their website sure looks enterprisey..
    Will they be able to keep up with Prevx or will they drag it down?

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

they are originating from your customers and friends. We all fell in love with a company that had a different approach and was able to back it up from the start. You have to understand Joe, this is not about you or Eraser, but more along the lines of the Norton trilogy. Webroot created their own Norton mystique years ago and it will take time and be hard to erase that.

Maybe they can, but the family atmosphere that some of us had with Prevx is gone.

10. ELWIS1

ELWIS1 Registered Member

So, Prevx will also as a separate product?

11. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hopefully, Webroot fully realizes that Prevx has a strong and very loyal following, much of that being earned by providing top-notch support after the sale as well as to those using the free version.
    If they are smart, they won't kill that philosophy.

We all know that M&As are part of the business world.
    Emsisoft buys Online Armor.
    Symantec buys...
    Microsoft buys...
    Earlier today, I read an article about IBM being on the verge of buying Fortinet.
    That represents something substantial in the arena of corporate security.

So the beat goes on !

12. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Do you like our product as it is? Do you have confidence in us? :)
    If so, don't stop now as we are still the same team. If you really want to leave Prevx, do it as soon as you see something that is being different in our product and not acceptable to you :)

Don't you think so? :)

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You know the answers. I have said more then I should so, I wish only the best to you and Joe and let us leave it at that. You are one hell of a team.

But things do change, dont they.

14. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

Yes, right now three minutes after the fact it is the same, of course. :shifty:

But probably won't be in 1-3 years judging from other takeovers, it's the nature of the beast IMHO, they buy technology and strip down the original company using what they like need and in 1-3 years suddenly everything is not the same. From watching other takeovers in this segment it seems very logical that Webroot will want to streamline/downsize/merge which the release even mentions and two full development teams aren't efficient ("better synergies" bla bla bla). we've all heard the song before and frankly thats what i would do myself in the situation.

You as the PrevX representative here will predictably say nothing will change as the others did, however what you fail to see is that it is because those who "complain" see a good setup probably being torn down and gone in the relative immediate future that they rightfully complain, however i just think we're all sad because we feel (rightfully/wrongfully) things are about to change for the worse.

Important to point out that no one here is pointing any fingers at you or EraserHW, you guys have always been superb, but i doubt you guys will have any say in the future of PrevX the product we liked and are therefore kind of pissed off about the sellout.

Anyway i'm just happy it was now and not a month from now because we would have gone the PrevX way at work on my recommendation and i can see the pointing fingers (towards my person) when things change in a year or two and we have to change again. :)

15. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

One word - CyberHawk. :(

they also kept the same developers too....

But once pctools got thier mits on it, it was just never the same and no1 even knows of Cyberhawk now, i fear for the future of prevx!

It will only be a matter if time before prevx no longer exists, it will all be incorporated into webroots security software, and we will be told its ok as the same development team is still there.

Sorry, but its not the same.

Very disappointed.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Lol, how bout a second word. BoClean :'(

17. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

What a lot of people don't realise is, Prevx is a business owned, until now, by an investor = Mel Morris. He bought Prevx several years ago and has invested in it, and as we know it's grown into a majorish player now. So i "guess" MM has decided to take his profits & sell it & move on ?

We might not like it, and i think a lot of posters appear to want to keep Prevx all sort of warm & cosy & friendly & clubish etc, which i can understand ;) But in the real world business is business & this takeover is part of how it often works.

With EraserHW & PrevxHelp, & others, still onboard :thumb: & stating very enthusiastically their support for the deal, & their statements about Prevx ongoing & future role within Webroots framework, i hope & believe things will pan out for all our mutual benefit :) :thumb:

18. guest

guest Guest

Bummer. :gack:

Question: Will the new 'rebranded' Prevx/Webroot software then be able to run along other AV-solutions as well as it is now? Or is this most important feature soon history as one might think?

Let me be very clear, if I am not able to run Avira as my 1st antivirus then it's over for me with Prevx/Webroot. :mad:

I guess reactions show we all know already how bad this will end. I really can't remember one single merger (doesn't matter which industry btw.) that went well. Well, from the minute I heard of this new CEO of Prevx I knew he would kill it to make money. :thumbd:

It's always greed that destroys things. - Sure, Prevx over the years found more false positives than any other solutions I had running or would normally tolerate. But once upon a time it saved my ass and much more important ... lately I liked the added online safety (safe online protection) because Avira doesn't have anything like that. An then there is the speed of scanning. But if I am forced to run the supposedly new bloatware (full blown security total protection monster suite) alone on my computer as all the other AV-solutions do force their customers ... I say goodbye to this project. For good.

And one last thing to the former owner of Prevx: if you were as confident about the success of Prevx as you made us believe (for example through your marketing) you wouldn't have sold it. Letting your baby being destroyed for greed.

19. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Mr. Morris will join Webroot as vice president and will remain general manager of Prevx operations for the time being."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Webr...Malware-Solutions-Provider-Prevx-164127.shtml

20. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thanks for the info :thumb: I hadn't realised that, sorry :(

"for the time being" Of course that could mean anything. I guess we''l have to see how long he remains :D

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Maybe 3rd, 4th and 5th words and so on....
    3. Tiny Personal Firewall
    4. Sygate
    5. Primary Response SafeConnect...

If Webroot had taken on Prevx as they have entered into an OEM type agreement with Privacyware I would not be concerned. But for Webroot to just take over Prevx worries me. I suspect Webroot figures they can OEM Prevx to make some extra cash as well as incorporate the product into the Webroot security suite.

How many times has a small security product been improved after being taken over by a larger company? I can't think of any, and there have been a ton of them. Webroot's suite now is comprised of Privacyware's Private Firewall and DSA as well as the Sophos antivirus, Webroot's SpySweeper and no teling who else- regarding the spam protection, etc. Now Prevx is added. What bothers me is that an internet security company found it more cost effective to acquire an entire company rather than develop cloud tech or make a behavior monitor in house. And the Prevx addition goes along with the Privacyware and Sophos help. This just tells me that Webroot is more of a company that more business/comsumer oriented than a company capable of developing and enhancing security products on their own.

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

You aren't in charge anymore, are you? The history of small companies in the security industry taken over by larger ones does not help your argument. Can you make any quick list of internet security products taken over by larger companies that were actually improved upon?

23. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

Big companies always eat small...
    Why not develop? their when they can buy...
    The dream of every owner of a small company is to sell the company a great company...and earn money:thumb:

24. guest

guest Guest

Or take Atguard. :'( This first firewall I did fall in love with. No kidding. :D

And then those @$%! Norton bloatware professionals :blink: grabbed it and .. of course .. destroyed it. Norton software will never be on my system, for many reasons, but I am holding a grudge against them even now after 10 years for killing this wonderful software Atguard by buying it! :thumbd:

So be warned, Webroot! :p

25. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Why shouldn't I? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.