Web Filtering Solutions

Discussion in 'hardware' started by otgkhan, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otgkhan

otgkhan Registered Member

Folks,

I am looking for alternatives to Barracuda Web Filter Appliances in my organization. We have many of these devices running at our remote and local offices. Unfortunately in the few months that I have worked with them, they have had numerous issues from random crashes, policy enforcement issues, AD sync issues, and most annoyingly crashing without switching to bypass mode when deployed inline; thereby bringing the internet access down for everyone.

I am looking for alternatives and will like to find out what you are using and how it is working out for you? I will need it for multiple locations 300-500 users at each location. I have reading online about Cisco Iron Port Web Security appliances but was unable to find any idea about the cost of the appliances.

Please recommend other solutions and mention the costs as well.

Thanks

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm no expert, but I believe it would help to know how large your networks are, and little about how they operate. Without that info its really just a stab in the dark. I'm not really qualified to give such advice, but I know those that are will want to know that info.

4. otgkhan

otgkhan Registered Member

Well there is not much. As I mentioned, each unit will need to handle about 300-500 users. The only thing we are looking for is to provide Web Filtering. At the very least it needs to be blocking websites relating to specific content categories (such as Social networks and adult etc.) Any other features (application or protocol blocking) are good but not required. It needs to support inline configuration (so users dont have to specify proxy in internet options) and the damn thing shouldn't fail once every month requiring a restart and cutting off users' internet access (like the Barracuda Web Filter 310/410)

Thanks

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You might consider DNS services, they are reliable, they can not be easily bypassed and it just need to be set up at the router.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Otgkhan, you may get in contact with Bluecoats to see what they have to offer. They have the best content filtering I have seen. I have not used their appliances, but I used their home software K9 Web Filter for several years. It filters in 85 different categories. It's content filtering is much better than my Netgear Prosecure UTM. I do believe its worth looking into. -http://www.bluecoat.com/

7. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i concur :thumb:

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Last edited: May 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.