Web browser questions

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by chaos16, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Does Mozilla firefox help prevent trojans,virus,worms etc from getting in to ur computer through the web browser. o_O

coz firefox only has a pop up blocker that it??

and is the yahoo toolbar still in beta testingo_O

can firefox have any other security built in the web browser of firefox??

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi Chaos, in general Firefox is safer to use as Internet Explorer. the main reason is the availability of IE (everybody has it, malware writers always try to hit as many people as possible...that is why Firefox should be safer)
    Still: Trojans, virii and spyware are able to enter your setup, even if you have Firefox or Opera...they use other techniques and commands, but the "best result" is mainly in favour of the less used browsers like Firefox and Opera...but that'll change too...

the PopUp blocker in Firefox won't help that much against spyware and trojans. the main reason for getting infected are vulnerabilities in scripts and injection techniques (it seems that FFX and Opera are being more Statical about this...and the result is that you will find less vulnerabilities in those segments-but you'll still find them.)

Internet Explorer with service pack 2 has a popupblocker too, better protection against scripting/injection techniques so it's very important to have the sp2 anyway.

The yahoo toolbar is not used here, but when I look at the page I see there is a Firefox version too...I cannot find a statement on that page whether it is beta or final.

there are many extensions (for privacy, blogging,...)and you can find them here:
    https://do-not-add.mozilla.org/extensions/

bye

Andy

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

firefox, opera and netscape don't depend on activex to operate properly like IE which in it self is a big security boost. And the most important thing in my opinion is that Internet explorer is deeply rooted in the operating system where as the others are not.

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

true BigC!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.