Web Browser Grand Prix: Chrome 25, Firefox 19, And IE10

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wild Hunter, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

tl;dr:

Chrome wins performance.

Chrome wins overall.

Firefox was a close second for performance.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, but you've got to look at things like test system specs and other variables in my own opinion. There's a hefty graphics card on that system which will help with hardware acceleration. Also, I guarantee you that I can get page load times below Chrome with Firefox and NoScript, even ABP. I'm not trying to start a Firefox fan fest here by saying that, I'm only saying the pretty charts and graphs don't always tell the full story. Chrome has its benefits, there's no denying that.

4. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Those articles are so damn biased. Again the performance of each browser depends on 1) what you mean by performance 2) what computer you are running.

For example for me, "performance" doesn't mean how long it takes to render a web page but how long does it take to open the browser, how much CPU does the browser suck up and how stable it runs. I don't care about it's RAM usage because I got plenty of RAM.
    Opera beats all of the above browsers in CPU usage. It has a 64 bit version which also means that it beats Chrome and Firefox when playing high definition videos on my tiny CPU.
    For someone who is running a quad core desktop, the 64 bit native programming and CPU usage become much more irrelevant. For others on the other hand who have 256mb Opera might not run that well at all.
    Those tests should be made not on one system but several diffeerent systems from low powered 1 core CPUs to powerful 8 core desktops. Also from as little as 256mb of RAM to those that have over 16GB, from those with 4200RPM Hard Drives to newest SSDs, etc...
    Just my $0.02...

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And what do these numbers tell us? Nothing.
    Mrk

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

True. Speed does not influence my browser choice. In every day usage there are many other factors that affect it anyway. Features (to me) more than outweigh any microscopic speed increases of one browser vs another.

7. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I do have to say thou that FF has become really slow when rendering youtube videos. I am running 1.5 Ghz core sole AMD and I can't even render 320kb videos without stuttering. Not sure if the addons have to do something with it or not. Same video can be rendered at 780kb without a single problem on 64 bit IE 10 or Opera.

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Might be a Flash Player issue. You might want to look into disabling hardware acceleration for it to see if that helps.

9. Wild Hunter

A good and exhaustive test like this (made by a website aimed at computer enthusiasts), should assume that no hardware piece will be the bottleneck.

That's the only way to safely measure what browser performs better under preferred conditions - without depending on whatever weird thing could happen under the myriad of possible suboptimal hardware conditions.

This is exactly what Tom's Hardware (a website with a focus on what's hot in the hardware world, after all!) did here IMO. The message is simply to indicate, basically, what browser will most likely perform better in that new powerful machine you have or are considering to buy.

10. Mrkvonic

Perform better? Synthentic tests.
    Meaningless when you throw in ISP, user setup, network latency, etc.
    Mrk

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I agree. These tests are just a form of marketing exercise. They only impress the gullible.

12. Wild Hunter

Clearly, this is a test about browsers. Not about "universal performance" considering all the possible aspects.

What's your point? If you want to measure ISP speed, there are other tests, same for network latency and user setup.

Test x for aspect x, test y for aspect y, etc.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I've used both Chrome and Firefox extensively over the last year, settling recently on Firefox, and I have a really hard time noticing performance benefits of one to the other, and whatever one may have over the other in this category means nothing to me in the grand scheme of things :)

14. Mrkvonic

The browsers were not tested. What was tested was some nebulous multi-threaded JS engine capability or something that has no relevance to real life. In real life, you have so many factors layered one on top of the other. The information is meaningless to your typical user in their choice of the browser, based on the data you got. It is about as relevant as testing Porsche 911 on a race track and then selling it to people in New York. For speed.
    Mrk

15. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

So they shouldn't bother testing at all, because they can't test every possible combination of factors?

16. moontan

moontan Registered Member

the only test that matters to me is how fast it feels.

if it feels fast enough then it's good to go. :p

i have done many tests using the top 4 browsers with a stopwatch.
    the speed was close enough that speed alone was not the major deciding factor for me.

of course, YMMV ;)

17. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

No, they should be tested, but those factors need to be kept in mind when reading the results of these tests. They almost never are, instead, too many just look at the charts and zero in on Javascript. But of course if everyone stopped paying attention simply to Javascript speed, there wouldn't be nearly as many "browser war" articles and threads...and where is the fun in that? :rolleyes:

18. Janus

Janus Registered Member

So true, here it comes :thumb: :thumb:

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

LOL yeah the two latest AFP version have been so bad when it comes to resource usage, it's crazy. o_O Though I am talking about the plugin version. I don't know how the IE version is since I don't use IE 8 that much. :doubt:

20. Wild Hunter

lol, what? Not sure if you read the tests at all, so I'll be posting the description of the benchmark suite that they used for this latest Web Browser Grand Prix here:

Benchmark Suite
    Startup Time
    Cold Start Time (Google SERP, Cached)
    Hot Start Time (Google SERP, Cached)
    Cold Start Time (Eight Tabs, Cached)
    Hot Start Time (Eight Tabs, Cached)
    Page Load Time
    EEMBC BrowsingBench
    JavaScript RIABench JavaScript (Eight Tests)
    Futuremark Peacekeeper v2.0
    Rightware Browsermark v2.0
    DOM Mozilla Dromaeo DOM (Core)
    HTML5
    Principled Technologies WebXPRT CP1
    Impact HTML5 Benchmark
    Hardware Acceleration
    Facebook JSGameBench v0.4.1
    HTML HWA
    WebVizBench
    Psychedelic Browsing
    WebGL Airtight Interactive WebGL Demo
    Scirra WebGL Performance Test
    Memory Efficiency
    Memory Usage (Single Tab)
    Memory Usage (40 Tabs)
    Memory Management (-39 Tabs)
    Memory Management (-39 Tabs, Two Additional Minutes)
    Reliability
    Proper Page Loads
    Security Browserscope Security
    Standards Conformance HTML5Test.com
    The CSS3 Test
    Ecmascript Language test262

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/web-browser-chrome-25-firefox-19,3459-3.html

21. Wild Hunter

Yes, that's the stupidity some people want us to believe to be the right thing to do. But we aren't that foolish, are we?

22. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Well, I think the concern is that some will read those tests and take the "winner" to be an endorsement of that browser, when they're really only measuring performance in benchmarks. When choosing a browser these days, performance should be a minor factor compared to security, stability, features, etc.

I find them interesting, although with some of them I wonder if you'd even notice in real-world usage.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Exactly... I seriously doubt some of the differences would even be noticeable at all.

24. Mrkvonic

All this means diddly squat to an average user, who have their computers underoptimized, slow, used inefficiencly, ISP bottlenecks, router problems, downloads in the background, casual use, etc.

What they want is something that works, opens pages.
    What you posted is a nerdotron agenda.

Mrk

25. Wild Hunter

Heck, this isn't about "average users". This is Tom's Hardware testing browsers on hot hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.