Weak points in Admin to LUA move?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by karad, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karad

karad Registered Member

I usually create a new LUA instead of turning an Admin account into a limited one in my XPs,but this time I did the latter in order not to lose too much time-especially as all my time was taken by reading lengthy Tlu's thread about SuRun.

Now I dont remember if in that thread or in a separate one I came across
    a poster who exposed a few minor,but possibly dangerous, weaknesses in SRP when turning an admin account into a ltd one.

I made a search in Software&Services and also in Other antimalware software sections,but was unable to find it.

Can anyone please point me to the right post or delucidate about the matter?

2. Arup

Arup Guest

No weak points as such, the only thing is inconvenience when you need admin rights for install or other jobs, that can be easily solved with SuRun.

3. karad

karad Registered Member

This security issue is rather marginal, but I forgot which Registry area it deals with.

It doesnt occurr when you create a completely new limited account, only when you turn an admin into a ltd.

Too bad , I should have saved the post, and if nobody paid attention to it must have been really of little importance generally speaking.

If you think that its absolutely the same its all right for me,then.

I've installed SuRun since a week and find it very handy: I can now leave the admin account only for major updates or installs and instead use my beloved limited account straight away.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

5. karad

karad Registered Member

Thank you very much pandlouk, I think this part :

is the crux of the matter- in spite of the fact that I remember a different,single, post about it by someone else-but this by Tlu probably covers it all.
    Mind you,I had saved this thread before installing SuRun to understand the matter, I am getting old!
    Thanks again,
    karad

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

7. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Personally, I find you're better off creating a whole new limited account rather than doing the quick fix posted above. Doesn't really take much time since most of your applications are installed already. Some settings need to be re-applied but that's it.

8. karad

karad Registered Member

No doubt,Reimer,I always did that,but this time I tried the other way round and
    I am too far off to go back,system is ok, and pandlouk pointed to the right patch.

9. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You are welcome :)

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.