Weak Hardware Firewall ???

Discussion in 'hardware' started by bulldozed, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulldozed

bulldozed Registered Member

Hi,
    Could someone tell me if there is a Year of Manufacture, which is the break even point in deciding if a Hardware Firewall has to be replaced. Because it is classed as "A Weak Hardware Firewall"...

aka October - November 2007

I realise that Cisco, seems to be the Experts Choice where Hardware Firewalls are concerned, but it probably doesn't come down to a Brand, when a Hardware Firewall has reached it's Use By Date.

I really do not want to be bulldozed, by "the you've got to replace it because it xxxx year of Manufacture" Camp or "it's better cause it's new Brigade"

I suspect though, sometime in 2007, was probably the give it the "Heavo Ho" into the Rubbish Bin, as the USA discovered it had big problems, involving Hackers, with some of it's Major Web Hosting Providers, due to Weak Hardware Firewalls, in 2007. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any clear pointers to the above matter.

Kind Regards,
    bulldozed

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

You really do need to be more specific about the piece of hardware you are talking about, and the network it is supposed to be isolating. Most home Cable/DSL routers are not real firewalls, as you would see in a corporate environment. However, they do perform some firewall type functions - and I strongly encourage all broadband users use one - even if only using a single computer.

That said, hardware firewall technology really has not changed in years - so I would not worry about it. Just make sure you have the latest firmware installed, and that you have a software based firewall installed on each computer, as well as the normal arsenal for malware.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Year itself does not mean much. More important is vendor support, firmware updates, environment where the device is going to be used, etc.

For home uses, almost anything will do just fine.

Mrk

4. bulldozed

bulldozed Registered Member

Hi to all,
    Sorry I was trying to be a little tactful, I was living in hope someone might have mentioned a reference to the Big Gear , aka Rack Mount.

For an example in a Web Hosting Provider situation where, Stand Alone and Shared Server Enviorments are in very Common Usage.

Just to stress again in the example above, Lets "NOT" be Coy "THERE IS" a Use By Date !:rolleyes:

What is "The Use By Date", it would definately be a Year, again what is "The Year", I'll freely state again, 2007 seems to have been a "Hackers Haven" for "Weak Hardware Firewalls". They, generally won't want the Greater Public To Know. "They stood their Clent Base at Risk, to massive external Hacking Attacks" !:mad:

Thank You for any Help,

Kind Regards,
    bulldozed

5. Bill_Bright

Being tactful is telling someone to "get lost", but have them happy to go.
    Okay - no coyness here - you are totally wrong! Your claim is nonsense and it is obvious you did not do any research to educate yourself and learn the truth before wasting everyone's time trying to being coy and tactful. :mad:

Sorry folks, I thought by the opening post that this was a serious inquiry - it appears now with bulldozer's latest reply that it is not. The statements made in this thread by bulldozer are totally untrue, with NO basis for foundation - or at least none was presented and I cannot find any.

@bulldozer - Internet and computer security is a serious subject, no place for being coy or silly! People can be hurt, lives can be ruined! Our loved ones can be harmed, or worse! :( These forums are supported by a limited pool of expert volunteers - people who freely donate their valuable spare time helping others protect themselves from scumbags trying to hurt them and their families. Learn to use Google. Research and verify before making accusations, and ESPECIALLY before passing along rumors. Otherwise, you stand to look pretty foolish. Don't try to be coy or tactful - there's no place for that when dealing with technical issues, especially those involving security - it tends to irritate volunteer resources who could have been helping someone who actually had a problem, or serious question.

Post some links to professional sites - NOT just to some forum poster with 1 or 2 posts making unfounded claims, but to legitimate sites that did real testing and analysis. Show some corroborating evidence to support your claims. If you cannot find any, then it is probably NOT true!

Badguys love folks who spread false rumors, misinformation and incite fear. Don't let their expert use of "tact" dupe you into being part of the problem, and a threat to the rest of us.

6. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

As long as we're not being coy, I'll say it straight out. Don't fall for the "planned obsolescense" game. That's a vendor ploy designed to keep sales up. The basic structure of the internet hasn't changed. The firewall that controlled that traffic a couple years ago will control it now. Unless a specific vulnerability has been found in a product, there's no need to upgrade just for the sake of staying current. Old doesn't translate weak or insecure, no matter what the vendors or self proclaimed "experts" try to make people believe.

7. Bill_Bright

Excellent point! It's all about marketing. You got to have the latest and greatest - the plastic cover is a prettier blue.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I really don't think there is any such thing as a "weak hardware firewall" either. It either blocks unsolicited inbound or it doesn't. There is no weak or strong. I have one that dates back to 2005 and it's fine. Just use what you have until it breaks and no longer works at all. Then replace it.

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Mine took a lightning strike and only lost 1 of 8 ports. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'....

(Oops, probably dated myself there)

10. Bill_Bright

Well, Mr Swayze ;), I hope you took that incident as a warning to put your computer and network gear on a UPS!

11. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I'm sure that would be an excellent idea. I'll have to get up to speed on what they cost nowadays - shoulda asked Allstate for one!

12. Bill_Bright

A lot less than a new computer, and the time it takes to set one up the way you like. A nice 900VA UPS with AVR can protect a full tower PC, router, cable modem, WAP, PDA, and two 22" LCD widescreens from power anomalies, including sags and drop outs - something no surge and spike protector can do - and, for icing on the cake, also provide backup power for 15+ minutes in the event of a full power outage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.