Weak, Easy-to-Remember Passwords a Familiar Crutch for Users

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by TheKid7, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Weak, Easy-to-Remember Passwords a Familiar Crutch for Users:
    http://threatpost.com/weak-easy-to-remember-passwords-a-familiar-crutch-for-users/

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Just because a password is "Easy to remember" doesn't mean it has to be "weak."

----
    rich

3. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

This sentence from the topic sums it up nicely:

I've bolded the critical part of that statement. Yesterday's data breaches are today's passphrase wordlists. I've found it is very hard to force users to abide by passphrase policies when given the option to use weaker iterations unless they are security focused. However to play devil's advocate even when strong passphrase policies are in place you still have users who when prompted to change passphrases, say every 30 days, will simply do the <insert old password here><number increments here>. (e.g. strongpassword becomes strongpassword1, strongpassword2, etc) :rolleyes:

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can force than amount of character changes as well. I still hate those policies though, why change something that wasn't possibly breached? It just encourages easy-to-remember passwords, which tends to be weak without creativity (that only goes so far until ideas run out).

5. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

6. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

seriously why do you need to make your password strong? i doubt it is necessary as long as you don't attract the attention of hackers.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That's only if they specifically target you, don't forget automated tools that scour the Internet (with a list of default/weak passwords).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.