We can safely conclude FD-ISR is over?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by EASTER, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Pete,

Thanks for your remarks-please understand that any of my comments were never directed at doubting the excellence of FDISR,that would be presumptious.

As a matter of fact , I'd like to try it again,if only that were possible-may try the server version:)

What I am saying is that realistically its all over for new customers,so there is no point for the hardcore to continuously rave about it at every possible opportunity in so many unrelated threads

The sensible action now is to choose an option and for the majority I dont think this will be a problem!

PS your scenario says your SP image might be two weeks old-I thought you used 15 minutes incrementals? Mine are 1 hour old,will revert to 15 mins when I can get IImageManager to work.Not too shabby-7 minutes recovery,8 minutes backup,thats why I'm not bothering with an ISR.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Hairy Coo, you have to remember that when Peter says "Want to install new software, so I update archive. Takes about 1.5 minutes.", that's probably likely because he has a much slimmed down system compared to others.

My most recent update of my archive took just over 5 minutes. Even a copy/update to a Test snapshot - my secondary - took roughly the same length of time.

As has been said, it depends on how you're using your system and what is set up.

3. Hairy Coo

Tony-exactly-so whats wrong with 5 minutes?

Actually my updates take less than 20seconds with SP,once only weekly a full takes 8 minutes-the rest incrementals every hour-soon will be every 15 minutes

I'm surviving without any problems!

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Nothing is wrong with that. I'm just pointing this out lest there are people reading this thread come to think updating should take 1.5 minutes or less based on what Peter said. That isn't always the case, and I have seen it take longer than 5 minutes too.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks. I hope that ShadowProtect has a longer life, than FirstDefense-RIP. :)

6. Hairy Coo

Tony-gotcha -I thought you were saying you were quite happy with the 5 minutes! Didnt realise you were using FDISR.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've been using FD-ISR for a while, but mainly so I can test new versions of software. That's what my Test Snapshot is for. I have tried RollBack, and, to be honest, I used it almost the same way as I use FD now.

The only reason I didn't stick with RB is because of the imaging situation whereby you have to uninstall the program before going further with restoring an image. It's a situation even they acknowledge, which is due to the sector level nature of the program.

8. Hairy Coo

Would you mind briefly explaining that point about RB?

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

From their Knowledge Base regarding using an imaging program with RB:

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Its been a long time since I read the Rollback manual, I have never installed it, but I read the manual twice, and if I remember correctly, Rollback actually changes the file structure of your hard drive or something like that, that is why Rollback includes its own defragger ... other defraggers no longer work under Rollback.

Acadia

11. ErikAlbert

Very practical. :rolleyes: Pffft. I hope this won't last forever, otherwise I will be forced to use one of these simple boot-to-restore solutions.

12. Hairy Coo

At one stage I was running Acronis True Image and RBx and yes this was a nuisance-I used to uninstall RBx every so often to update ATI and to do a proper defrag.

There was some talk about modifying RB so it could be merely disabled,rather than uninstalled,but this possibly wasn't achievable.

These two factors are definitely a smallish or largish problem,depends how you treat them and not having to consider them would be a benefit.

Even so I ran RBx and ATI happily and succesfully for a few years.

I would say that the current version of RBx is almost at the stage where another imaging program wouldn't be necessary

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That rather sums it all up for this user too. I have had a tendency over my years working with malware removal to live dangerously and that was a practice not easily broken or overcome, untill the introduction of FD-ISR came into the picture. Even then, i was highly skeptical at the start even in the midst of a full-blown blitz of raves going on at the time. When it finally got too much for me i turned attention to it myself, and my computer experience is never been better as well as confidence.

The fall back features of FD-ISR have even trumped my imaging programs courtesy FirstDefense's archives. THOSE FILES (.arx) ARE GOLD!

You just can't cripple a system/machine equipped with such an advanced ISR in what FD-ISR offers. Heck, the additional 10 snapshot limit even expands your horizons/interests in multi-configuarations, ALL BOOTABLE and savable plus restorable on top of that.

Eric's classic FREEZE snapshot, something i shy'ed away from due to Power Shadow, is one the most efficient & time saving elements any user could ever desire. No more time-consuming run of multiple scanners, registry cleaners, and what all else, just a simple reboot and Presto! you're disk is refreshed and ready in the same condition as before you started.

Archives are my favorite pie-in-the-sky, to me their IMAGES just as if they were made with Acronis, Ghost, Paragon, or whatever your choice. And in a lot of ways they can be much faster to restore depending on the circumstance.

Like Peter2150 so eloquently put it also, you can safely see-saw back and forth between snapshots with Copy/Updates and do the same between snapshots & archives however you choose, in whatever order works best for your intentions. I now keep dual sets of archives for each snapshot in inventory and for pity's sake man, you can even change those snapshots around however you wish according to need, hobby, experimentation, or research and in reality theres no excuse to ever lose your system to anything ever again, temporarily maybe, but at least not permanently.

No other ISR comes as close to a real imaging program as FD-ISR is been.

14. ErikAlbert

Yes, I don't use scanners anymore (6+ months). The last month I tested this thoroughly with the most popular scanners available, none of them couldn't find anything. The last one was A-squared and as usual 0 infections.
    I don't use registry cleaners, history cleaner or junk cleaners anymore.
    One reboot = complete cleaning, including unwanted new softwares.
    I have a much easier e-life than in the past. I only wished, I had a second frozen snapshot, but only one is possible. :)

15. Empath

Empath Registered Member

You don't have to uninstall Rollback Rx 8.1 in order to defrag or use imaging software. You do have to reset your baseline, which destroys all other images. Then you enter the line command: shieldcmd.exe /defrag

Once the line command is made, Rollback will permit the defrag software to do it's thing, and you don't destroy untitled non-conforming type image files.

16. Hairy Coo

Thank you for that,Empath-thats important news indeed!

How does this work practically-any problems at all-presumably applies only to version 8.1 and is it official?

17. Empath

Empath Registered Member

It's official, but was poorly presented at HDS. The instructions first gave the wrong line command, and so they were encouraging people to use the uninstall and re-install method. Then when the error or typo situation was cleared up, they began promoting the easier to use line command method.

I guess they missed the December upgrade deadline. They were suppose to have an upgrade that would permit defrag and imaging without those concerns.

I should add, I suppose, that I'd prefer to discontinue my discussion of Rollback here. I find it a bit troublesome elsewhere that so many threads end up being a discussion of FD-ISR. I don't want to do the same to their lament of their ISR.

18. Hairy Coo

Are you suggesting that the next upgrade will have something like a disable option without a command line,or what is supposed to be in the pipeline?

19. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Well, quickly.... I don't know for sure how they'll do it. They could use a means of naming, and then revealing the file name for the image files, but they don't want to and don't consider that safe.

20. Hairy Coo

Empath,

Would you mind telling us if you have tested the line command and you are satisfied with it.

Thanks

edit;there is a whole list of command line switches in version 8.1 help but not this particular one

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Empath is right, this really shouldn't be a Rollback discussion. Actually Hairy Coo, I believe folks have tested that feature to their satisfaction.

22. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

A great artist is often much greater after his death :D
    But more seriously I do have to agree with you, there are a few too many memorials to FD, as a satisfied user I have no doubt indulged in these too, and will make an effort to only address queries for help on FD from now on, or discussions of comparison for a viable replacement.

23. ErikAlbert

That is indeed the bottom line : find an equal or preferable BETTER alternative for FDISR. It won't be easy, if you look at the total picture of FDISR.

24. Hairy Coo

Pete-I understand that -but I had hoped a constructive discussion could be held regarding a suitable substitute for FDISR,which seems to be difficult as long as its not realised that its no longer available-so what is the point of singing its eternal praise?

25. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Many of the posters in this thread are long standing FD users and many think it is the most impressive sw they have bought.

..... and yet many of them (Silver, Peter, Me) have looked at other products. I even used it with /and instead of FD for over a year. I tested version 7 builds with Andrew Shen in an effort to get a product that was robust (Peter did the same from memory). I adopted version 8 instantly and yet ....

After all of this effort I have 2 RB Rx lics both un-used. The last time I tried RB was version 8.x the first build had clearly not been tested with multi boot systems properly .... forcing a restore from image. Great ISR

The last product I want to hear about is RB constantly. Sadly there is no substitute at the moment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.