We can safely conclude FD-ISR is over?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by EASTER, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Peter,
    I'm not challenging the virtues of FDISR,all I'm saying is that there are real alternatives,which will take a while to get accustomed to,like a pair of new shoes(bad example),but then for the majority of users would be perfectly adequate.

Lets face it-the end objective is always the same-to reliably restore!

I actually clean forgot about RAID and also I suppose your usage is partly commercial style,whereas all the options discussed are at at the home market.

Can you see any disadvantage to using SP instead of RB for example?

And could you please explain what you mean when you say the imaging is a show stopper in RBx.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Old Monk said: "if I crash and burn I'm good to go in 12 mins" so I take that to mean he's restored back to an earlier state within 12 minutes.

3. Hairy Coo

Thats a major point exactly-as I said RBx takes about 2 minutes also to restore (reboot time ) whilst Shadow protect takes 7 minutes-who cares,lets be realistic,I'm not an industry mogul where every minute wasted costs $1000

Its like saying my Bugatti is better than your BMW because it will do 200 plus mph,your Bimmer will only do 150.completely irrelevant

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

With RBx to capture the mbr, you can't image in windows, so bye bye continous incrementals. Also unless you are willing to take an image that captures all the sectors, you have to collapse the snapshots to the baseline, and then image. So no snapshots. That wasn't a biggie, but having to do that just was time consuming. FInally for me their linus recovery solution was a no go. I've never had success with any linux based recovery. Has to be windows based, like Bartepe, or winpe. Bottom line, I couldn't decide I want to image now from windows and do it. Thats why for me the imaging was a show stopper.

Pete

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here with FD-ISR archives retrieval/rebuiding again to working snapshots. If i crash & burn or even if FD-ISR and all components of $ISR were rendered disabled, thats where your saved archives to alternative media come in for a total rescue. Heck, you could even conceivably wipe the entire drive and start from point A again. Archives are for all purposes images that are easily reconstructured again back into snapshots they were duplicated from.

That single feature, in and of itself, is highly valuable for a complete failsafe recovery. Theres just no getting around it or making excuses to the contrary, FD-ISR's archives are a user's bread & butter in event of ANY seemingly catastrophic event on the fd system drive, provided those .arx's are isolated/stored off IDE cable. It's proven more than adequate in it's initial claims when it first surfaced, IMMEDIATE SYSTEM RECOVERY. And done orderly as pointed out theres no chance whatsoever to suffer disappointment or loss of system/data = snapshots. (also considering you keep archives updated to your own schedule, i do mine manually) then pull the storage drive.

In keeping with Peter2150's wise advice i haven't always followed, i now have completely archived snapshots to 2 different media, one on the system partition and the other another HD.

So my working system is now again 100% preserved against malfunction or any other disruption against any future ill-events.

No way Rollback or any other ISR, is as better prepared to guard against such circustances with such completeness without a single issue.

What makes the original FD-ISR of such useful proportions and encouragements in comparison is that Leapfrog took into account intelligently all the possibilities that a user, even a novice, could turn to safely, and totally recover their system/snapshots again = 10 Max.

Also either individually by a quick simple Copy/Update to archive then Copy/Update back to Primary/Secondary or in what order a user is chosen to use to access a "clean" working system again.

I challenge any other ISR to come even close to this. FD-ISR works on the order of duplicating each and every single file (-tmp) plus settings and indexes those directories beforehand to line up the whole system as a single bootable/working system.

It also in the case of Eric's FREEZE storage goes the extra mile in cleaning on boot-to-restore whatever was writtent to disc, an amazing accomplishment really, and one Eric amongst some others have found greatly to their advantage in saving time compared to throwing scanners at the system which consumes much more time then a simple reboot.

Bottom line, FD-ISR is perhaps the best ISR ever developed and is infinitely better equipped to preserve data/systems in recovery efforts as well as cleverly enhance what once was only a single dimensional windows system but instead they widen the scope of available systems for user, something $M would never have dared offered it's customers.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

There are many programs that can do some of what FD can but none can do all of them, especially with the same reliability. But more than anything else, FirstDefense is the most flexible backup/testing program that I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, imaging is still very important, but if you have FD, not as important as it used to be. :cool:

Acadia

7. Hairy Coo

Thats the problem with the true believers,they tend to speak in a dogmatic,impenetrable,style and make assertions which very probably are subjective.

Very simply,the market decided that these different functionalities were not important enough to warrant keeping the product,to put it as kindly as possible.

The world is still spinning,-backups ,ISR and otherwise, are still being made successfully and speedily.

I once tried FD and didnt like it-so is my subjective opinion worth any less than yours?

I also don't pretend its worth any more!

Its only software,why get so obsessed about it?

Why ram it down peoples throats?

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Acadia :cool: The FD-ISR user who took FD to some of the highest extremes, as in multi-snapshots.

Greets. A KEY term mentioned is "RELIABILITY"! That is but one of many that separates from the rest of ISR's.

"FLEXIBLE" is multi-dimensional by design not often found where most are in one dimension. That's a matter of options, and FD-ISR had presence of mind to explore these additional features and considered them useful if not very important. A vendor that offers variety proves how much thought has gone into their addressing needs.

Image is a user's final chance for rescue but with FD-ISR/archives, that last line of recovery is indeed not so needed as often anymore. Another benefit FD-ISR seen fit to expand into it's design for it's customers.

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hhmm
    Pure speculation here as I havent looked and not encouraging hacking..but in the spirit of maximising software applications..
    just wondering with the new FDSIR Rescue how easy it might be to move a restore snap out of its default site and then configure another snapshot?

Purely experimental.
    Perhaps the license would forbid this
    Prolly too complicated anyway.

:D
    For those uncertain about what that refers to:
    that is in fact a well known and standardised measure of computer user unit time segments and can be calculated and billed depending on various international parameters known only to those in the coffee and ciggie secret violators of all known guidelines of acceptable behaviour for world domination society of which I am a member.
    The "coffeee and ciggie" time unit is highly adaptable to virtually any situation.
    :cool:

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I dunno if this is close to what you suggest, but as another option in experimenting with FD-ISR over time, i have exported snapshots and then even deleted some but preserved their archives.

You can save unlimited number of archives that your alternative disks have ample space for.

This allowed me to build more than the default 10 snapshots but you can only use 10 in the system itself. So in essence, as imagination & experimentation has proven out, i been able to make many more than just 10 snapshots and pick then choose which ones to include in the 10 snapshot limit.

As Peter2150 once said, the possibilities in FD-ISR (original) are limited only by the users imagination.

As to the mention of "coffee & sig", i think i'll start a pot on right now. The cold winds are howling here tonight and calling for a warm kettle of jabba right now.

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2008

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I would like to record my feelings about FD-ISR along with the more experienced users who feature here.

I was introduced to FD-ISR by Peter, so I could safely beta test Online Armor which means I have been using it for a year now.

The times I have used it, especially in the early beta days, means I rely on it to 'put things right' and always have that comforting purrr feeling when restoring a good snapshot. I also use the archive backup on external.

The new version, would to someone who had never used this one, seem good I think, especially if the suggestion someone mentioned of adding an archive facility was added.

It's a shame such a brilliant software concept is now on the shelf due to financial considerations.

I think I will have to say, it is better to have used FD-ISR and lost it, than never have used it at all.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hello stapp

I also further feel it's better to still have the original FD-ISR then never to have experienced it at all. If we have it, it is not lost as long it's in your possession and well kept. I've only reinstalled it a total of 3 times due to different circumstances so i'm sure it still has plenty of install life left in it yet for the foreseeable future.

Just my opinion but it;s a terrible disservice to take such a useful program as it was and reduce it to a sub-standard form. But thats now water over the bridge and HDS can pat themselves on the back for those efforts.

It's incombant on us original users now to appreciate more than ever that we were fortunate enough to been provided a world-class ISR of legendary stature when it was at it's high-point in feature & support, and it remains so to this very day and beyond AFAIK.

13. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

FD-ISR is much more than an imaging program.

I've just reinstalled XP Pro x86 with Vista Business x64 installed in a snapshot of FD-ISR, so both these OSs are installed on the same partition! I can run leaner systems--programming/graphics/math can go into different snapshots/archives. I like having less complexity. Simpler systems, I believe, tend to be more secure than 'kitchen sink' systems. Also I got tired of maintaining separate backup images for XP and Vista. Too bad FD-ISR doesn't support SUSE, the BSDs or Solaris, etc. But then, knowing me, I'd go nuts and have 10 different OSs on my one partition o_O

The other advantage is, as ErikAlbert has often pointed out, the complete and fast removal of software one is testing. Yes, an image can be taken before installation and then restored if needed, but that is too slow as I tend to try out lots of software.

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, your opinion is every bit as important and unimportant as ours, they are all the same. :cool:

As long as I keep the vast majority of my FirstDefense posts within the FirstDefense forum, I don't see it as ramming it down someone's throat. I don't go to other forums trying to "convert" anyone, in fact I have only ever mentioned FD at one other place and, if I remember correctly, that was simply in response to a question. o_O

Acadia

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

What I like the most about FDISR (+ ShadowProtect) is the total solution of all my problems I had in the past before using FDISR and how little it takes to solve all my problems : one simple reboot.

I only have to read the posts at Wilders or any Malware Forum to see
    - what other users have to do to solve their problems
    - how many softwares they need to get it done
    - and above all how much time they waste.
    I've spent a year at SWI to see how much time and how many posts it took to solve ONE HijackThis log.
    And all this to get their system back as it was before. That is the same as working for NOTHING. :)

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Sorting out the essentials for max. security and find always new approaches to get to it is also my take.

17. Peter2150

You make some good points, but, I guess the reason, I wax enthusiastic, is the number of ways FDISR has served me. For example

Normally my usage is as follows: Want to install new software, so I update archive. Takes about 1.5 minutes. Yep others are faster. Then if I don't like it I boot to secondary, and restore my archive. Two reboots, and a 1 minute copy. Yep others are faster. But and here's the biggggg but. Suppose what I installed trashed my disk. Okay I grab my trusty SP recovery CD, but oops, last image is 2 weeks old, and maybe older. Shucks take worst case, the images all fail to restore(not likely with SP, but suppose). With FDISR, no problem. Just do a clean windows install, do an install of FDISR, copy my archive of secondary to disk, boot to it, and refresh the primary from it's archive, and then boot back to it. System back in business.

That fall back is something none of the other recovery programs can do. Maybe unlikely, but very comforting. While never the extreme, I've been in stituations where I was in a hurry, updated archive, didn't bother with image, when I should have, and oops. Restored old image, which was out of date, and used FDISR to get current.

Also before I had the courage to restore an image, FDISR, probably save me from grief a hundred times. If it seems like we get obsessed, this is why.

But not withstanding all of that, your opinion is of great value. Keeps us from going to far off the deep end.

Pete

18. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Not sure why you are assuming that the last image is 2 weeks old but the archive to be used isn't. I think the answer is that those who use FD-ISR probably use their imaging programs less ( some have certainly stated as much).
    You may well find that Image Users have images which are just as much up to date - basically because they do not have FD-ISR to fall back on. Those who separate C: from D: will certainly have little problem - provided they have the discipline to image C: daily even when a system/program image is a few weeks old it takes little time to restore to the current position.

My point ? There can never be an answer to "which is better". Different approaches have different requirements and each requirement suggests a different solution - different but not necessarily better.

19. Peter2150

My assumption was based on my habits, and you are exactly right. Just depends on what a user is doing.

Pete

20. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

12 mins is the restore time ;)

Correct Tony

@Longboard

Very droll my friend. Other than locking my wife out of the house all of last night ( I kid you not - I was mortified) that's the funniest thing so far this year :D

21. Peter2150

Not even FDISR can help you recover from that.:D :D

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Nope, afraid that you just might need a new hard drive to recover from that ... (sorry Mods, could not resist, go ahead and delete :p )

Acadia

23. Hairy Coo

Thank you for understanding what all this fuss is about from my viewpoint.

The remarks certainly were not directed at you.

However-to put it bluntly,too many completely unrelated threads in Wilders have been hijacked by marauding bands of hardcore FD devotees,despite protests.

This surely is detrimental as regards the ability to discuss the OPs subject hopefully for some benefit ,without being derailed for no useful purpose whatsoever.

No doubt the hardcore are even partially unaware of what they are doing,in their zeal about FD, but give us a break,please.

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Old Monk,
    I won't tell you my restore times. It's useless to brag about a dead software and praise it into heaven, when the software is already in heaven. ;)

25. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Erik

I've read many of your posts and I can relate to your fondness of FD-ISR. To you it makes perfect sense and I know your restore times are enviable. But, as I said earlier, a lot of us use our PC's in many different ways.

I respect your way and I trust, although not as fast, you can respect why I might prefer my way :)

May your software enjoy it's peaceful rest :D

Indeed not Pete :ouch: :ouch:

Those familiar with the term ''brownie points'' will know that I am deep in deficit. Roll on 2009 :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.