Way to go OneCare!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quazimutato, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

As a beta tester, they just offered me a deal of $19.95 a year for up to 3 pcs.

2. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Unfortunately not. :(

3. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I just removed OneCare from one of my Vista boxes. Without OneCare, Defender would detect changes to my HOSTS file (I use the MVPS HOSTS) and ask me if I wanted to permit it.

With the "improved" AntiSpyware in OneCare (which turns off Defender), I get no notification at all that the HOSTS file was changed.

That scares me a bit.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That's what i've been saying.
    Even if your other post was a joke (seems that way), i do think some/many AV's will go broke, as soon MS makes a free version, and plant it on Windows (SP1/ SP2 / Vienna whatever). Not all of course, advanced AVs, multiplatform AVs, and todays big players will always have a place. Specially the last 2.

Anything built on MS platform will get their competition sooner or later, built in Windows. If you depend on them exclusively (Windows platform), and target the large audience (that is, it's not business oriented, or focused on a segment), you're not running a long term business. That is my over generalized and personal opinion.

5. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

If everyone used Linux, you would need everything you now use on Windows. Because the hackers would just target Linux. It's the way the ball bounces. Everybody gets a kick out of targeting MS, Symantec, etc., because they are number one. The strongest survive, plain and simple. If it wasn't MS, Symantec or Comodo etc., you'd find someone else to bash, it's the nature of the beast.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

most people who fight with Microsoft, usually lose.

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Still, as someone said, i don't like the idea of being protected by MS. :doubt:

8. dNor

dNor Registered Member

As long as the protection and support is adequate the company is a bit moot for me. Their protection has greatly increased and I hope it continues, along with their support.

The more good security software out there the better, I say.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

IMO, the situation looks GREAT for the current top tier of AV companies. Far from standing still, they are all branching out to become MUCH more than mere blacklist apps -- as witness the recent acquisitions by Grisoft/AVG; the sweet suites of Kapersky, Avira, Eset, et al.

OTOH, the situation DOES look bleak for M$. M$ is a bureaucracy. Design by committee can't keep up the pace. Can't stay the course. M$ is now in the same stage as the terminal era of the Roman Empire. It only LOOKS impregnable.

IMO OneCare will ultimately overbloat & lack the innovative impetus to be a match for the current top tier of AVs.

10. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

If anything, the inclusion of OneCare in the market has resulted in the creation of more "supersuites" such as Norton 360, McAfee Total Protection, Bit Defender Total Security, et. al.

11. Hangetsu

Well, I wouldnt bet on the downfall of Microsoft just yet. However, I do question how well they can create security software.

Their core business is "standard" applications. Office apps, Operating Systems, games... These have a standard beginning and end. Like them or not, they excel at creating and marketing them.

Security applications, by their very nature, HAVE to be more fluid, able to change at a moment's notice to counter the people making malware (if you want to be successful). Since they are a large company (and subject to the bureaucracy such size creates), I don't know if they will be able to provide top-notch security in the long run.

Then again, everyone pooh-poohed Microsoft's entry into the gaming console market with the XBox. They're not doing too bad today, but it didn't signal the end of their competition either.

Just my 2 cents :D

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Of course, competition there create their own consoles.
    The games market itself (i mean, games for Xbox for instance) isn't like AV market, imaging programs, editors and so on. The public won't stick with 1 or 2, they want new games to entertain, almost like movies. One company won't cut it.

13. kurchatovium

kurchatovium Registered Member

So is OneCare a complete security suite or is it mainly an antivirus program? My friend has it she seems to like it cause its easy to use and easy on resources. Me I am reluctant to trust Microsoft.

14. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Registered Member

kurchatovium,

It is a very complete suite akin to Norton 360. It has a firewall, antivirus, antispyware and so forth plus it will monitor your Windows update status, settings on IE7 and Windows, defrag your disk and optionally clean up registry garbage. Pretty much soup to nuts with a monthly report generated detailing what has been done to your system.

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I got the $19.95 a year beta tester offer also. I purchased it. I figured what the hell, if I don't like it, I'm only out 20 bucks. If I do like it, it's a great deal. To tell you the truth, it's not bad. It's pretty easy to use, and it's running very light. I'm pleasantly surprised. A much better experience than with the beta. Of course, that's what betas are for, right? :)

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Whats OneCare? I thought it was dismissed over a year ago as grossly inadequate and virtually useless. I suppose on Vista it might serve as a conversation piece of interest, but....................Pfffffttt

17. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

This is exactly my opinion:
    Microsoft produce en easy to use AV, so target is normal user ..
    Other AV companies should produce advanced users SW.

This should be the their chance to survive against MS giant. AVIRA, KASPERSKY, NORTON, MC AFEE, CA, SOPHOS and may be a very little number of competitors will survive.
    But I do not like this scenario at all!!

Mike

18. Bunkhouse Buck

Ya it's ok. After comparison, Nod32 and Avira run lighter on my computer, so I unistalled One Care. But, it is not as bad as many think, and for the most part, might be a good choice for many.

19. Graystoke

Well this has happened to me twice now. I startup my computer and I wait for OneCare's icon to show up in the taskbar. It never shows up. Finally a window pops up on the screen saying that.... "OneCare didn't start due to an error, please restart your computer. If this doesn't help contact support". Maybe not the exact words, but close enough. After restarting the computer, OneCare starts up. I think it's time to uninstall.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

21. Graystoke

Ain't that the truth. :doubt:

22. Hangetsu

Microsoft did what they always do - They hired up the competition, taking top players from many of the big AV companies :D

Their product has improved dramatically - I wouldn't say they are top-tier, but recent tests put them at acceptable detection performance levels.

And I will admit, when I trialled it my system performance was actually darn good with it installed.

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I've been told that Redmond is a really nice place to work. Would you like to work there? :rolleyes: :D :D

24. Bunkhouse Buck

I reinstalled it, and the same thing happened as you experienced nine of eleven boots. I uninstalled it.

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

True, but I don't think they always win. They don't always get what they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.