Warnings and errors when backing up to DVD+RW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rac1234, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rac1234

rac1234 Registered Member

I have been trying to create a full backup of either a hard disk image or the Documents and Settings folder to DVD+RW disks using True Image 9 (build 2337) on Windows XP Pro with Sonic DLA as my UDF packet writer. The disks have been pre-formatted using Sonic DLA. I am getting some confusing warnings and errors both at the beginning and the end of the backup, as follows:

Warnings at the beginning of the backup creation process:

1. I insert a blank, formatted DVD+RW and wait until it is recognized by Windows. Then I start stepping through the backup wizard. I enter comments for the backup and immediately afterwards get a Warning dialogue box saying:

W00040011: Please insert the media marked " Volume 1". Press Retry when ready or press Cancel to cancel the operation.​

This is a bit strange since I haven't yet created any volumes.

2. Clicking Retry doesn't work, but clicking Cancel takes me to the list of operations to be performed in the backup, with a Proceed button at the bottom.

3. I press Proceed and once again get the same dialogue box mentioned above ('W00040011: Please insert the media marked " Volume 1"…').

4. Once again, clicking Retry doesn't work. Clicking Cancel gives another dialogue box:

I00640003: Please insert the first media. Please insert a CD then press OK when ready or Cancel to cancel the operation. … (detailed text cut) ...​

This is confusing - why am I prompted first for Volume 1 and then for "the first media"? What is the first media? In some situations (e.g. when verifying a backup) the "first media" you need to insert seems to be the last volume of the set. Anyway, clicking OK then causes the backup to begin normally.

Warnings and an error at the end of the backup creation process:

5. Immediately the backup operation reaches 100% (which happens rather suddenly, when the progress meter had only been about halfway through a moment before), I once again get the Warning W00040011 described above ('Please insert the media marked " Volume 1" …').

6. At this point the last disk of the backup set is still in the drive. I try pressing Retry without removing this disk first. This has no effect - the warning just reappears.

7. So I insert the disk with Volume 1 on it and press Retry. Pretty much straight away I get an Error:

E00040012: This is not the last volume of the backup archive. A possible reason may be poor media quality. Please press Retry to continue with Volume 1 or press Cancel to cancel the operation.​

This is baffling: a moment ago TI was saying it wanted Volume 1, but when I attempted to put that disk in TI complains that it is not the last volume. And yet the message also says "press Retry to continue with Volume 1". There is no explanation for this sequence of messages, and once again, pressing Retry has no effect.

Incidentally, I have scanned the disk containing Volume 1 with Nero CDSpeed and it appears error free, so I suspect poor media quality is not the cause of this error.

8. I attempt to eject the disk containing Volume 1 and Sonic DLA gives me a warning: "DLA has located files on your disc that are currently in use. To avoid possible data loss, save any changes to open files, close any open applications and retry the operation." This warning has only an OK button.

9. I click OK and attempt to press Cancel in True Image's error dialogue E00040012. The first two attempts to press Cancel do not work (the Error reappears). On the third attempt I get another Error dialogue box:

Operation has completed with errors. Please, see log for more details.​

10. I did Check Archive on a partition backup created in this way across 10 DVD+RWs and received no warnings that there were any problems with the backup. (That said, there was no clear indication that the backup was OK, either. True Image does not seem to be the most communicative piece of software.)

The log file looks like this:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log build="2337" product="Acronis True Image" uuid="84080F87-E715-4526-B86E-8EFF8D4E685F" version="9.0">
    	<event code="2" id="1" message="The &quot;Current backup operation&quot; operation started" module="100" time="1141956960" type="2" />
    	<event code="503" id="2" message="Analyzing partition 0-0..." module="1" time="1141956962" type="2" />
    	<event code="503" id="3" message="Analyzing partition C:..." module="1" time="1141956962" type="2" />
    	<event code="1008" id="4" message="&lt;bold>Create Full Backup Archive&lt;/bold>&lt;endl/>&lt;tabpoint value=30>&lt;indent value=4>From:	&lt;indent value=10>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>C:\Documents and Settings\&lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>To:	&lt;indent value=10>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>CD-RW Drive (D:)\documents_and_settings.tib&lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>Compression:	&lt;indent value=10>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>Normal&lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>Exclude:	&lt;indent value=10>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>Files matching mask&lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>Match criterion:	&lt;indent value=10>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>*.bak, *.~, *.tmp, &lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>Description:	&lt;indent value=10>&lt;endl/>&lt;textcolor value=&quot;navyblue&quot;>&quot;Almost complete backup of the &quot;documents and settings&quot; folder. Leaves out system and default users, IE cache, IE history, temp folders. This is a file backup made using Acronis True Image 9.&quot;&lt;/textcolor>&lt;/indent>&lt;indent value=4>&lt;endl/>&lt;/indent>" module="1" time="1141956963" type="2" />
    	<event code="3" id="5" message="Please insert the first media
    Please insert a CD then press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.

Please note that you can use either a blank CD or a CD containing backup archives created by Acronis True Image. If the CD already contains backup archives you can append one more to this CD only if the CD has enough free space.: oK/Cancel" module="100" time="1141956965" type="2" />
    	<event code="3" id="6" message="Please insert the first media
    Please insert a CD then press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.

Please note that you can use either a blank CD or a CD containing backup archives created by Acronis True Image. If the CD already contains backup archives you can append one more to this CD only if the CD has enough free space.: oK/Cancel: User replied: oK" module="100" time="1141956968" type="2" />
    	<event code="4" id="7" message="Please insert the next volume
    Please remove the burned CD and mark it as &lt;bold>Volume 1&lt;/bold> then insert the next blank CD. Press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.: oK/Cancel" module="100" time="1141957930" type="2" />
    	<event code="4" id="8" message="Please insert the next volume
    Please remove the burned CD and mark it as &lt;bold>Volume 1&lt;/bold> then insert the next blank CD. Press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.: oK/Cancel: User replied: oK" module="100" time="1141958003" type="2" />
    	<event code="4" id="9" message="Please insert the next volume
    Please remove the burned CD and mark it as &lt;bold>Volume 4&lt;/bold> then insert the next blank CD. Press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.: oK/Cancel" module="100" time="1141959000" type="2" />
    	<event code="4" id="10" message="Please insert the next volume
    Please remove the burned CD and mark it as &lt;bold>Volume 4&lt;/bold> then insert the next blank CD. Press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.: oK/Cancel: User replied: oK" module="100" time="1141959088" type="2" />
    	<event code="4" id="11" message="Please insert the next volume
    Please remove the burned CD and mark it as &lt;bold>Volume 7&lt;/bold> then insert the next blank CD. Press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.: oK/Cancel" module="100" time="1141960019" type="2" />
    	<event code="4" id="12" message="Please insert the next volume
    Please remove the burned CD and mark it as &lt;bold>Volume 7&lt;/bold> then insert the next blank CD. Press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.: oK/Cancel: User replied: oK" module="100" time="1141960419" type="2" />
    	<event code="4" id="13" message="Please insert the next volume
    Please remove the burned CD and mark it as &lt;bold>Volume 10&lt;/bold> then insert the next blank CD. Press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.: oK/Cancel" module="100" time="1141961348" type="2" />
    	<event code="4" id="14" message="Please insert the next volume
    Please remove the burned CD and mark it as &lt;bold>Volume 10&lt;/bold> then insert the next blank CD. Press &lt;bold>OK&lt;/bold> when ready or &lt;bold>Cancel&lt;/bold> to cancel the operation.: oK/Cancel: User replied: oK" module="100" time="1141961464" type="2" />
    	<event code="1001" id="15" message="Failed to open the file documents_and_settings.tib for read: 262,162." module="1" time="1141962249" type="4" />
    	<event code="1001" id="16" message="Failed to open the file documents_and_settings.tib for read: 262,162." module="1" time="1141962255" type="4" />
    	<event code="5" id="17" message="Operation has completed with errors." module="100" time="1141962257" type="4" />
    </log>

Is True Image always this confusing when using DVD+RW as the backup media? And, if so, do other people find that the backups are successful despite these warnings? Is there any way I can get the process to run more smoothly? Are there any known compatibility issues with Sonic DLA that might cause any of this?

If there is one thing I would ask Acronis to improve, based on my experiences so far of True Image, it is the documentation and the dialogue boxes. The help documentation feels skimpy is not searchable, and the dialogue boxes are just plain confusing. I don't get the impression of solid, reliable software, which is really essential in something as critical as backup.

If anyone can help me improve the experience I'd be really grateful!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rac1234,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Could you please also reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.