warning when installing a known software

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by sethm1, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

XP SP3

I went to update my Replay A/V software and Eset warned me of a potential issue with the program. the down load came from Applian's web site.
    In order to install, I turned off the Anti virus/Anti spyware feature.

So
    1) Now that I have installed and turned back on my Eset, I will no longer rec'v msg's about this program?
    2) In the future, is there a way to install a known program without turning off Eset?

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

What was the complete, exact error message or warning notification you received from ESET Smart Security?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

I wish I had written it down.
    it was something about that Eset detected a potential threat - which then stopped the install from continuing.
    I have had this program (Replay A/V) for many years. The Eset Security I have had for only about 6 months.
    I disabled the antivirus features, then re-installed the program with no problem.

I noticed when I re-activated Eset, that a message automatically being sent to Eset for their review of that program.

I wonder if by turning off Eset inorder to complete the install will create problems in the future.
    And was that the only way to install a known/safe program?

4. agoretsky

Hello,

Without knowing the exact message, it is difficult to tell exactly what might have occurred. I located Applian Technologies' web site and found the download page for Replay A/V, but unfortunately am experiencing time-outs when attempting to download the ~40MB installation file, which is more due to a problem with my current Internet connection while traveling than with the site hosting the file.

If I can get the file downloaded successfully I will try to find out more.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. mz500r

mz500r Registered Member

2008-09-10 22:45:43 Real-time file system protection file C:\Program Files\Replay AV 8\ReplayAV.exe probably a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Event occurred on a new file created by the application: C:\DOCUME~1\Tim1\LOCALS~1\Temp\irsetup.exe.

just downloaded and checked it did the same hth

6. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

so, the only work around is to turn off real time protection?

7. agoretsky

Hello,

I was able to download the file and scanned with ESET Smart Security v3.0.667 using virus signature database 3449 and did not receive a "probably a variant of Win32/Genetik trojan " report from the software. Can you tell me if you are still receiving a report of it?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. sethm1

sethm1 Registered Member

No longer seeing that msg as I went into ESEt and went into the settings set the program as an exclusion when Eset runs.

Applian (company behind the program) says the false positive could be because I have v7 & 8 on my PC. I thought I removed version 7 - unless
    there are (or still is) registry items left behind.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.