warning to all linux users

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

warning to all linux users check your overheating on laptop specialy if you are running kernel .35 on LTS or intel graphics

yesterday laptop go burp the problem is i didnt check sensors which i use to time to time it was running it fine 3 days untill i shut down now dead ..........few days ago my astaro gateway also become dead after updating to kernel .35 i have to change my mother board of it i guss same here with laptop

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11094096&posted=1#post11094096

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103118

i read many forums having same problem mostly to kernel .35 causing overheating they say it resolved but i say better to check time to time than being sorry like me ;)

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Sorry to hear about that mack_guy, it's really depressing and you have my sympathy.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Did that happen to your OpenSUSE as well?

I'm currently using netbook Intel graphics, so this may affect me. When's the next kernel going to be released?

4. mack_guy911

i seen over heating on running virtual box on open suse apart form that it run on 47-49 on my desktop which is quite ok i get same on fedora 13 default as well as far as ubuntu on desktop i cannot say much i hardly use it

but i recommend that please keep checking your sensors time to time it better also here at my place weather is pretty hot as well about 32-35 C sometimes more so it also one of the cause :)

5. mack_guy911

GOOD NEW TO ALL users sorry yes although kernel might be over heating

but that might not be the case because my adopter get F@#% UP as well it seems battery also got shot its showing 3 V out of 10.8 what else......god knows .......i check later ........

thanks for support guys

yes pretty sad news its my brother favorite laptop old but work nicely but no worries i soon try to repaired it.

but one thing it teach me lesson even its not the cause that i should check kernel sensors and thermal sensors .................specially after installing/updating new kernels by giving it youtube.......installing software .....giving it little ..stress mode and keep a eye on my thermal sensors :cool:

6. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

Laptops Nature is to Overheat

My Laptop didn't survive 1 hour On windows Vista

7. mack_guy911

sorry to hear that i thought its just linux which is the only HOT one out there :D

by the way i dont use windows at all just linux on my laptop working perfectly fine since 5 years until few days ago :D

any ways good news in i change my motherboard and battery cost me approx 300$ :D

but worst part is i get only 3 month guarantee on motherboard where else on battery 1 year so i guess its time to try less hot distro of linux :D

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Recent laptops and desktop systems shut off before overheating, though.
    My experience is that KDE runs hotter than Gnome. And flash is brutal!

9. mack_guy911

yes i used to think the same until i start using open suse 11.4 which give me same as fedora 47 C its the only distro which give me less heat on idle mode as well normal after fedora 13 and not much fluctuation unless

i run some hard like virtual box.......etc where i tested scientific linux centOS they produce lot of heat 50 default to 65 sometimes without nvidia support on live cd mode

also i found SL and centOS pretty fast compare to fedora guess it does over clocking

speed = high thermal

Nvidia drops core thermal lot in desktops as they take cpu gui load .......guess with nvidia support SL give less thermal heat on sensors i pretty sure

but in laptop i guess we need to keep and eye on thermal when using linux

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Based on fan activity in my laptop: Mandriva is also unfriendly, somewhere I read an article indicating that Mandriva's kernel team does not belief in "power optimization"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.