WARNING!! Shortcut on my Desktop!!!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Telstar, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telstar

Telstar Registered Member

Pieter and Jooske,

I received this in my Inbox:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

mailto:pieter@NOSPAMwilderssecurity.org
    mailto:jooske@NOSPAMpilliwinks.net

I tried to send you both the WinZip of the TryMedia Folder but, as you can see, it failed.

Maybe it's because I had you both on the same email (cc: Jooske).

I'll try and send individual email and see if that works.

Telstar

Edited addies

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Nice notification, i'm very grateful for that as it will frustrate email harvesters with their spam!

I got it though and just checked it at the KAV site
    http://www.avp.ru/remoteviruschk.html
    Current object: TryMedia.zip
    TryMedia.zip Archive: ZIP
    Statistics:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Known viruses: 75227 Updated: 8.10.2003
    File size (Kb): 1 Scan time: 00:00:01
    Speed (Kb/sec): 1 Virus bodies: 0
    Archives: 1 Packed: 0
    Folders: 0 Files: 1
    Suspicious: 0 Warnings: 0

nor did TDS alarm so it seems clean.
    You might like in future cases to use that quick online scan too so keep that URL at hand! I must admit KAV does miss sometimes a nasty, but ok, most cases it does find if there is anything wrong.

EDIT:
    I just looked another time at your zip:
    It says it is 505KB but it is together with the email only 2KB so you sent an empty zip; so of course there were no alarms on that zip. Maybe you can have another look at it? Thanks!

3. Telstar

Thank you again Pieter and Jooske for your valuable time helping me resolve this problem with TryMedia.

I've deleted everything I can find related to it and as you say Jooske it was clean of virus or suspicious items. I've scanned my system with everything I have available and for time present all is ok.

I put it in my Favorites for quick access. Thanks.

I will now await the "next crisis"...lol The way things have been going it won't belong before something else invades my computer and when it does I hope you folks will be available if I need any help.

Best regards,
    Telstar :)

4. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Hi Telstar: It's my experience with XP that system restore does roll-back MS updates to the restore point, so be sure to re-scan for updates and reinstall. BTW, there's an IE 6 cumulative patch and a patch for WMP ready for download today Oct 8.

I'd guess the security forums aren't the culprit for getting that folder, but might have got it when clicking on a link someone in a forum provided. If you disable File Downloads in your IE security settings until you're sure you want to download something, you'll prevent this and other tricky links from downloading to your system in the future.

I'd also recommend using RegProt from:

http://www.diamondcs.com.au

A free app and will prevent changes to your registry without your permission in the future.

Best Regards, Rick

5. Telstar

Hi Rickster,

Thanks for your reply!

Very good point about File Downloads :). I did indeed have mine Enabled....Disabled it now. Chances are good you may be correct....I do click on many links as I peruse the different Forums and as you may have read, I was in the process of visiting various Forums when that TryMedia Folder Shortcut magically appeared. An astute observation on your part.

Regardig RegProt, I see it's a DiamondCS product so it's obviously completely reliable. I will install it.
    "realtime registry monitor and protector, that adds another dimension to Windows security and intrusion detection."
    Yep, I can use that!

You are referring to KB828750 and KB828026. I had installed them last Friday and my Restore Point was created on Monday when I did complete AV, Spyware, Trojan, Worm, and other scans and was confident my system was clean. I did check after System Restore and these were still the latest ones, so I'm up-to-date.

Thanks again Rick for your excellent advice,
    Telstar ;)

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Re RegProt: keep visiting those pages, there is a lot more, also in the free tools sections. Have the AutostartViewer so you can see what is autostarting or able to do so and you can delete them from the autostart or walk by them to check if they are really not set for autostarting/connections/updating and all that.
    In near future there will come a new autostart guard to replace RegProt, working nicely together with that viewer, and so much more in the build.......!
    You might like to create a folder C:\Console and put that in the autoexec.bat in the path, and put all that kind of tools in that folder, so they work from all over wherever you are in windows or opening an MSDOS window for the commanline items, it all works fine that way.

7. Telstar

Hello again Jooske,

(Already installed RegProt.....it's busy at work.)

LOL...a psychic experience :D? I was just looking over that one. Another helpful tool I can use.

Another good suggestion. I've simply been downloading to Programs or Desktop depending on the application. I do not see autoexec.bat anywhere. A file search or Run command fails to find it. Is this a (Windows XP) pre-installed file or one that I would create myself?

Thanks,
    Telstar ;)

8. Telstar

Question about Autostart Viewer:

I just installed AS Viewer:

1) I do not see a Help menu anywhere so...

2) Right clicking gives me certain choices but without a Help menu I'm not exactly sure what I can do...are there any detailed instructions that I do not see? Clicking on "Main" does not show a Help menu

3) A Shortcut was not created with execute so I went to where the Program was installed and created the Shortcut manually

additionally:

>what does "Jump to with RegEdit" do?
    >if I see a Program that I DO NOT want to Autostart, how do I stop it? is it "Delete Autostart Reference"?
    >what happens if I "Delete File" do I remove/delete the entire Program from my Computer?

I can see some Programs that are Autostarting that I want to keep but not as an Autostart.....what do I do?

Thanks,
    Telstar

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It can be in win XP there is no autoexec -- heard that before. Not sure how / where you can add files to a path to be used in whole windows everywhere? There must be something? Maybe put that folder in c:\windows c:\winnt wherever you have windows for the same effect i guess.

For the discussions about the freetools on the DCS forum is a special area, see the DCS link in my sig here and register as a member in the forum to look around and discuss those parts there.
    The ASViewer in fact needs no help: it is just allow every option to be shown and look what it shows you, you can add that in a log.txt and post if you like for help/suggestions.

I opened each program shown there and made sure they are treally not autostarted in any way.
    I think Wayne c.s. are able to give all detailed info and advice!
    Removing them from autostart does not delete the program itself, just a possible autostarting!

I would grab the whole lot as each tool is very valuable! And check back often, many more to come soon!

PS: you are allowed to look in my crystal ball, that's what it's here for :)

10. Telstar

Jooske,

Excellent! ....Just what the doctor ordered

I am now registered in the DiamondCS Forum. I'll spend some time reading through the various topics there and if I still have any questions regarding my new downloads I"ll post them in there.

Thank you,
    Telstar :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.