WARNING RE: Bit Defender Total Security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hawki, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

DO NOT USE the Anti-Theft Safe Lock !!

100+ people have reported a bug on the BD Forums

They have entered a pin into the Anti-Theft Safe Lock and now their computers are unusable because their keyboards have been disabled and they are thus unable to unlock their PCs because they are unable to use their keyboards to enter their pin. A tech support person is supposedly sending PMs with a way to unlock -- for obvious resons it can't be made public--it is not yet clear that the solution is working for all who have the problem.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. guest

guest Guest

They send you a solution and the only way to access it is through your PM, while you can't even access your computer?

*facepalm*

Is there any workarounds for the people who only have one computer?

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

LOL Good point.

But if they make it public it will at least partly destroy the "usefulness of the feature"

Strike "usefulness"

It does work in a way. No thief can access your PC if its enabled lol

4. guest

guest Guest

As an information to everyone, I don't consider reinstalling the OS as a solution. Maybe they can access their BD forum accounts from their mobile phones?

It's way too strong, too powerful! :argh:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I guess the "solution" being sent does not work for everyone:

"thank you very much...!

I tried boot the mentioned information, it failed so I had to create a win 7 rescue disc with another pc and repair the start up, so everything is back to normal !

Thanks a lot bitdefender for creating something that even you don't know how to fix it !

Unfortunately I have to stick with this thing for 2 years !"

+

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

They are sending the reply through "chat tickets" to those who filed a support ticket but you still need another method of accessing their site. I guess most have or know someone who has a web equipped phone.

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

They just had a 50% off promo on BD Total security so I guess a lot of peeps bought it and that's why they are getting so many complaints.

8. hawki

hawki Registered Member

What's really sick is that this problem first appeared in January OO and I guess they thought they fixed it in the New version.

9. guest

guest Guest

Don't they test it themselves and release closed and public beta versions?

10. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

And why is that?Hand it over to me,i promise not to use the anti-theft thingie :D :D

11. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Is it not even possible to boot into Safe Mode and uninstall Bitdefender?

12. guest

guest Guest

Even in safe mode you still have to enter your password. You can't enter your password if your keyboard is unusable.

Oh yes! The BD services aren't supposed to start in safe mode. Shadek, that probably will work. :eek:

So, disable the services in safe mode through services.msc, then boot normally, log into your computer, and then uninstall BD program. It's probably not possible to uninstall BD in safe mode. I couldn't uninstall some security software in safe mode, got a "Service couldn't start" error. So I guess we have to do that on normal mode. But since BD services have been disabled, it won't block you from entering your password.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.