***WARNING!*** COMPUSA!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by luv2bsecure, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Eagle1, keep us posted as soon as your attorney permits please!

regards.

paul

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

Just hung up with my attorney for the third time. It appears CompUSA thinks because I took their offer of reconciliation by way of computer parts and refund from them that I should not be publically discussing it. As my attorney explained to them I never made any such agreement, and if that would have been a condition I never would have accepted it. I explained to my attorney that I still have every part, and the gift card, still in the bag under my computer workbench and have never even touched them. My intent was to use them as part of a donated computer at some point.

He stated that to their attorney and further explained that my treatment yesterday was a new incident that is now the crux of the matter anyhow. He stated that if they wanted the parts back instead of letting them be donated to a worthy person or cause so be it. He said to me they got pretty silent for a moment and then stated that they would have to discuss this further and get back to him.

I think some folks are getting under their skin. And I surely hope luv2bsecure's contacts turn up the heat too. They are getting jumpy over there and beginning to cringe at the attention.

3. Paul Wilders

Eagle1,

The bolded part I like the most - eager for the follow up!

regards.

paul

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

Another update. CompUSA refuses to talk with my State Rep. contact either. I just hung up with him and he said his calls have resulted in simple "no comment" replies. He is a little ticked to say the least.

I think lots of emails need to be going to all State and Federal congress members and to CompUSA stating the concern regarding lack of notice, rude customer treatment and the potential privacy/security violations. I also think NetKey needs to get some emails too. That might put some additional pressure on CompUSA to respond with some postitive action.

5. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

instead of letting them be donated to a worthy person or cause

=) evill grin im not sure if im worthy but poor count

im so poor the other day i walked in to my front yard got muged by two roches and a rat.

Im so damn poor there no food in the house and when i went to rest room i saw a roch on the toilet with a sighn that said good by cruel world lol=)

Im so poor that when a mofo goes to rob me he just practicieing.

Im so poor that im actualy in a back ally of the libary in a card bord box hooked up to the internet with a libary computer and the phone line leading out the libary window to the cardbord box.

ps is there a graphix card lol all i got is the 8bit chip set that comes standard with the gateway essthinal 700 c for a graphix card lol.

6. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Blaze, you're in danger out out-weirding me.   :D

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

Sir Blaze, You are acting a little more weird than usual  :D ....hmmm...it must be spring fever kicking in.  ;)

I very often donate comps to families in need that come to my attention through the local school system, or sometimes to small local groups who don't already have computers or the budget to obtain one. But I usually have to wait until I get my hands on monitors before I can do so and those are much harder to come by. Thats why the parts have been sitting around for 2 months.

8. Mr.Blaze

=) lol parts i know lol was wondering if you had a pci graphix card lol

jingle jingle rusty can.

nah if you relly want to donate it to computerless family i totaly understand  cause i got puter.

it make funny loud noises not relly upgradeabl;e except ram and graphix cars cause he way gate way built it.

it pice of crapolah.

i was wondering cause i had codename hit man 47 a real cool assasin game.

but all i been able to do is admire the box cause the store wouldnt take it back=(

i didnt know at time my puter had a chip 8mb set standard pice of crap.

will at least unreal tournement works on this computer=)

kill kill kill kiill lol

i love unreal=)

9. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

The Langalist has picked up on this too.
    http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-04-15.htm#2

10. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Well, if immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, what is an outright ripoff of words? That letter to Langa was my original post! Oh well, I really don't care as it gave it attention. Langa's list is read by tons of people. I think Langa's comments were interesting, but missed the mark as far as what a lot of people are upset about: The lack of a disclaimer that informs people that use of the computer is subject to monitoring.

Nobody would complain about OS lockout software for companies to keep people out of system settings. For example, Best Buy keeps you out of Windows completely with just a demo program until the salesman comes along and hits the hot keys that enable the customer to play around and see how the computer performs. But, we're talking here about computers offering Internet Access to the public.

By the way, I went by a nearby mall that offers free Internet Access at twenty computers at a Kiosk. It is VERY fast too, by the way. The actual screen while surfing is framed with four ads on all sides of the screens - that's their business model. It's a chain and in malls all over. THEY have a sign specifically saying they DO NOT monitor or log any keystrokes or visited sites. You are anonymous so I wouldn't even have a problem with their knowing where I was visiting, but screen shots and keylogging? That's a different story, and they DO NOT do that. That's the way public computers with Internet access should be run.  The company is a member of eTrust.

CompUSA is using the Creator Studio software from NetKey without notice to members of the unsuspecting public. That's wrong.

The writer with PC World left a message on my voicemail and I haven't been able to get back with him. He says he wants me, or somebody I know, to "run a little test" for him. o_Oo_O. Not sure what that's about, but I'll keep you informed.

John

11. Paul Wilders

John,

Indeed; the credit is yours - but get used to these things - they happen all the time.

Fully agreed.

By all means; please keep us posted!

regards.

paul

12. Mr.Blaze

John,

Fully agreed.

By all means; please keep us posted!

regards.

MRBLAZE

Yup it does happen all the time im copy and paste king lol  

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

*chuckle* that Blaze... hehehe

14. Rick

Rick Guest

CompUSA and the like aren't designed to hire the cream of the crop.  Just a sign of the times and why McDonalds has pictures of your food on the cash register.  Even if they tripled pay to attract intelligence and "class" it would likely have to come from outer-space.  Discount stores = discount brains, so lower the bar on your expectations there.   Raise the bar = raise the price, but then people buy it elsewhere for less, so the cycle can't be broken in micro-economics.  Nothing's said you must have stupid and rude punks running the bottom end of the retail bucket, but it might be more appropriate punch out the parents and educators.  The government loves it - stupid people are like sheep...take a good look around - old geesiers like me who would pull a kids liver out and feed it to him for back-talking his mother, will soon be gone - to the relief of many.   Good Luck.  Rick  

15. Mr.Blaze

:Dlol comp usa  mcdonald style ;)cash register with perty pics of putter hardware and software

welcome to comp usa may we take your order?

{ ok thats one pice of crap plus an over priced other thinghy mah bob and .............

:D

16. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Oh, Blaze...the washing up in your head needs to be done straight away!  I didn't follow a single word of that!   :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.