Warning about Auslogic Defrag Free.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DoctorPC, Jan 19, 2014.

1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: Response from Auslogics

I don't mean to defend them, but it's obviously on purpose. I bet if the offers were opt-in, far fewer people would end up installing the stuff and the company wouldn't benefit as much.

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Thank you for your efforts to improve Auslogics' software, and respond to users' concerns. The decision to drop OpenCandy seems a positive move, and encouraged me to download Disk Defrag Free 4.5.0.0, from Auslogics' site, and see for myself, having previously (but stopped) used it.
    The changelog (from Softpedia) looked encouraging:
    http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag-Changelog-45027.html

However, on checking with Jotti, the ESET engine is still showing a detection of "Win32/MyPCBackup.A", so there must be a concern there somewhere, and could be enough to prevent users installing. http://www.virusradar.com/en/search/all/win32/mypcbackup.a

3. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Registered Member

Yea, but surprise installations do not create customer loyalty. They might see a short term jump in installations if they are good at deceiving the user, however, it will be at the expense of a long term relationship. I cannot think of one example where fooling the customer improves vendor/customer relationships or customer loyalty.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's nice to Ausglogics responding to this thread.

One of the big problems with OpenCandy is it being detected by antiviruses, and I think people have a tendency to assume that anytime their antivirus detects something, that it is malicious, and not realise the difference between actual threats and potentially unwanted software.

5. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

When I install software I do it on a sandbox machine, I'll observe what it does or doesn't do. When I am satisfied then, and only then, do I put it on my working machines.

There are many ways around these annoying installers and we take every opportunity to avoid them. If we can't, well then, we just don't use the product.

My systems have limited CPU cycles and it is important to make the most of them.

6. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Re: Why Use A Third Party Defragmenter?

Guys, I just don't understand why you use a third party defragmenter these days.

In my opinion, it is absolutely unnecessary.

7. roger_m

I believe they can do a better job of file placement than the Microsoft's own defragmenter.

8. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

And what does that mean for your computer experience?

9. roger_m

It has the potential to speed up your computer. If you did a quick search on Google no doubt you will find benchmarks comparing 3rd party defragmenters to the Windows one.

Personally I don't run any benchmarks on my PC, only on my Android phones and tablets, so have not done any such tests myself.

10. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I think you are being conned.
    Sorry to say that, but I am sure if you ask anyone that knows, they will tell you so.

11. roger_m

Benchmarks don't lie.

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Benchmarks are one thing. But do you actually notice the difference in real-world usage? I think a disk would have to be severely fragmented and possibly full for defragmentation to make a noticeable difference?

13. roger_m

I agree with that. However, what I'm saying is that defraging with a 3rd party tool can in some cases lead to better performance than using the standard defrag.

14. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

New Adware method: manipulating browser shortcuts to change the home page - gHacks Tech News

15. Adric

Adric Registered Member

That method has been used before. Nothing new. Actually, it's not as intrusive as compared to changing browser settings, etc..

16. Cyberbit

Cyberbit Registered Member

Joined because when I went to download Auslogic Disk Defrag free version I saw a few people who gave it bad ratings because of the adware installed. After trying the install myself, I noticed that they probably didn't read; and to say be aware of what you are clicking next and agreeing to.

During the install today I noticed two separate attempts to install adware during the installation process, on the 5th and 6th screens. Just be sure to always check for things like this with free software and un-check what you don't want. People pay to have their software packaged during the install process as an option that by default is usually opted into, its how great free software like this great defragger continue development.

http://i.imgur.com/8rTdUP4.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/5w4ny9s.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.