Wanting to try a few more AntiTrojans?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Comp01, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Ok, Right now, I am almost finished testing TrojanHunter, But, I want to keep all options open, I know BOclean is suppose to be good (But, dont have the money to buy it, at the moment) So, I was looking at The Cleaner, while waiting on A2 to be release (If ever, but, I dont want this post gettng into a whole A2 arguement) I have already tried TDS-3 (Didnt like it, it was too slow on scanning, out of date interface (Felt Like I was using a DOS program), Although, I'd have no arguement with TDS-3 IMO, its actual engine, and scanning capabilitys are the best, as is its unpacking engine, But, anyways, I was wondering if anyone has anymore suggestions, Right now, I am thinking of trying Tauscan and The Cleaner, but I am open to suggestions.

2. I would not go with Tauscan..

One question, if you have no money for BOClean, how are you going to pay for Trojan Hunter if you decide to go with that?

The only other AT you may wanna try is www.pestpatrol.com/ I don't like PestPatrol... They don't have forum support, a LOT of problems with their product and a lot of false positives. Honestly, though, I think Trojan Hunter's the best. Great support, too.. and a good forum..

A2 is a question mark for me.. Andreas promised he'd have A2 out Sunday.. Well, it's Monday where I am.. and honestly, I expected nothing anyway..

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Comp01.

I have the Cleaner.
    The current version is 3.5.
    The Cleaner Professional 4.0 just completed beta testing and will be released this week.

There is a forum for the Cleaner if you want more info.

Here's a link for the Cleaner.

http://www.moosoft.com/

4. sig

sig Registered Member

The Tester: how is The Cleaner now? I know there's been a makeover of the 3 version and a new version is coming out.

I ask because I have a registered copy of The Cleaner but gave up on it some time ago when the product appeared moribund without timely definition updates (going more than a month at a time without updates) and the forum consisted mainly of unanswered questions for the vendor and users asking "What's going on?" and recommending other AT's to other posters.

5. subratam

subratam Registered Member

i am sorry but i hav to say this... i myself have TDS(i think best) trojan remover latest.. my good frnd hav trojan hunter and yes the cleaner..... i am talkin with him.. he just nou ran a scan... when he had subseven and got cleaned by trojan hunter but.... the cleaner as he said din catch on first time...
    i dunno but if thats it the cleaner is not good no offence meant to anyone
    i personally feel if u need trojan hunter and TDS are best with TDS runnin faster

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Subratam.

I read your post and you don't have to apologise for anything.
    I'm not offended at all by a difference of opinion.
    The only question I have is was the Cleaner updated?
    SubSeven is listed in the Cleaner's "trojan list".
    If so,your friend could report that and submit the file to the developer.

Hi Sig.

I trialled the Cleaner in early Sept. and registered later that month.
    I know very little of the program or forum before that time period.
    Since I've been using the Cleaner the updates are available at least weekly.(Database 3416 is available today).
    The developer has been active in the forum and his support has been good with me.
    The new version has been revised and scan speeds are improved.
    Stealth mode has been added.
    I like the improvements.
    I got an email today about the release of the Cleaner Professional 4.0.
    I look for it to be available this week.
    I'm sure the release will be announced when it happens and you could check out the website and see what you think of the description etc..

7. Third_Eye

Third_Eye Registered Member

I think the cleaner is a very simple but unparallely effecient anti trojan software. its sfift and prompt actions can get rid of the trojan servers running very quickly. moreover a always running monitor in the startup keeps the cleaner always one step ahead of the trojan and backdoors.

8. subratam

subratam Registered Member

the tester,
    thanx mate for your opinion, i personally feel i shudnt have said bout cleaner when i have not tested it.. i will surely talk regarding this with my friend.. and ya surely ask whether it was updated (i think it was he downloaded recently..still)
    good luck :)

9. Third_Eye

Third_Eye Registered Member

hello subratam

i do agree with u that the trojam hunter is more effective as compared to the cleaner as i came to know that like a good old anti trojaner it will even irradicate the dormant trojan servers and rename the exes to something like .tcf files making them paralised fror ever. its true that any unupdated software will definate not work properly as new trojans are comming up every day.

10. notageek

notageek Registered Member

LOL I still haven't baught a AT yet eiter and I trialed all of them, well most of them. I haven't tried Pest patrol (heard it had lots of FP's) Haven't tried tauscan (not sure I'll like it). But me I'm just looking for the basic scanner that's kind of cheap in price. Comp1 have you ever tried trojan remover? I tried it and I thought it was pretty good. Thought I would put that out there for you.

11. sig

sig Registered Member

Trojan Remover is not often mentioned when people ask for AT recommendations, but a number of people say they use it and are satisfied customers.

Tester: well I hope The Cleaner is back on its feet. It seemed very shaky there for a while (before your time evidently). It was one of the first AT's on the market (perhaps even the first) along with BOClean and TDS. It will be interesting to see how version 4 turns out. :)

12. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

lol, I've yet to buy one also, I'm getting ready to install The Cleaner, and no, I havent tried Trojan Remover, I heard of "SwatIt" Which theres a free version available http://swatit.org/download.html

13. notageek

I would rather be infect with a trojan that mess with swatit. It's not even worth a download. But being it's the only free AT I guess they get their share of people that can't afford AT's downloading it. :)

14. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I could get The Cleaners update function to work o_O but I think I might try TDS3 again :doubt: - and by the way, notageek do you have a URL to Trojan remover?

15. notageek

Here it is http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/

16. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I also am going to try Trojan Remover, as it looks good, What I cant believe though, is why someone hasnt released some kind of free antitrojan :doubt: ah well, I'll try Trojan Remover, and TDS3 again (I didnt do much with TDS3 settings, of which I was informed with the proper adjustments, I could get it running a bit faster..)

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Happy trialing Comp01!

I think good AT's need a lot of energy to keep them updated and doing very well their job, as we get new kinds of trojans each time.
    For TDS there is a full time engineer on it to keep on top of the trojans and lots of other nasties as you can see in the primaries list.

If you have your system updated, do safe computing in most cases you will be ok with a full system scan once a week, which you can do while being away from the system and closing as many unnecessary applications at the moment as possible to speed up the scanning process.
    In the TDS forum here you'll see more tips and configuration settings which might help you.

18. notageek

Comp1, I'm sure that one day someone will release a free AT or maybe a big name AV will have one bundled with their product.

19. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

a-2 will have a freeware version.. when it is released, hopefully bfore i die :D

20. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Well, TDS-3 scan speed could be faster without so many extra detection capabilities, lots of which you aren't seeing until you scan trojans. But we wont remove them - for example Advanced Signature Scanning for common trojans like SubSeven. Dont update your database for ANY program when the new version of SubSeven comes out - due in about a week apparently. I guarantee that no program will come close to detecting it as well as TDS-3, if any others detect it at all. TDS-3 will fire multiple alarms on file scanning the server, and if you ignored those and RAN it, well there are a ton more alarms coming to visit :D

21. Optimist

Optimist Registered Member

@ illukka
    How old are you? :D :D :D

I am 53 years old. Too old, I think! :oops:

22. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You know, even when temporary little less protected by what ends up to be a less best scanner we're testing, if we do get into problems there is this whole forum family to try to help us out to the best of knowledge.
    So that's what we can add to the layered security!

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Live long & prosper, illukka. :D

I use Trojan Remover for almost 1 year now. Be aware -- it's an on-demand scanner, only. No real-time monitor. Updates are always steady. Of late, they have gotten much more frequent. Nice friendly & fast support.

It's fine to use TR if you are a clean-living prince of a fellow who exudes love & kindness at all times. :cool:

aloha.......bellgamin
    ~~~~~~~
    The beaches are great in Hawaii today. Balmy. Soft gentle trade winds. Great waves for surfing. Eat your hearts out, northeners. ;)

24. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i'm like the phantom(lee falks cartoon hero): a man at his best age

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.