want to make a small web site- any ideas where to start?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am wanting to make a web site before the NBA season starts and it needs essentially a place to put up a chart with a drop down menu to list teams and schedules in whatever combination a person wants and it needs something like a forum to make posts for users. Some click through revenue would be nice too.

What are some of the better places/companies to have host a web site? I think the front page and maybe a couple other pages are all that are essentially needed, plus the forum. There will be a place for links to the all local newspapers for each respective team (30) and there will need to be links to sites such as espn, foxsports, etc.

I was thinking something like what microsoft offers for free unless there is something better. It does not need to be anything fancy. I am guessing maybe 100 or so visitors a day or so?

The drop down menu is what worries me the most. I guess that is some sort of html stuff which I know nothing about. I have attached a photo of the type of chart that will need the drop down menu- drop down for teams and dates. Plus some scoring weeks start on days other than Monday so I would like to incorporate that somehow. (This is an old chart from when I wrote for cbs.sportsline.com so that's why there are 29 teams)

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Both my websites / blogs are hosted on Aspiration Hosting. They are what I would call low-end premium in the sense that you pay more than the typical 'unlimited everything' hosts. For the price you get non-oversold hosting with 24/7 support via live chat. If you want to find out more, I have have a post on my blog about how I have set everything up.

3. acr1965

Thanks for the info, will look into it.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

acr, You might be looking at quite a bit of custom coding.
    However, I have used GetAFreelancer for these kinds of things before with great success and it was dirt cheap.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

6. acr1965

7. acr1965

checked out getfreelancer. that might be exactly what I need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.