Want GMail? Pls give us your mobile number...

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by tsec, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Has anyone considered giving them a phoney phone number?

2. jesusjesus

jesusjesus Registered Member

No. It's a verification system. like a website asking for your e-mail when signing up then sending you a link to click. With sms verification they send you a password instead. Without the password you can't open the account.

But from what has been said here, google have backed down.

3. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Odd that some say that they havent been asked for a phone number - the article comments at The Register contained a number of examples of guys having to provide phone numbers when setting up a new account.

Perhaps at this time its region-specific and is being gradually applied across countries as time goes on.

And... Here

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I was asked for a number when this first came to light (see my previous post early in the thread), but indeed it is no longer required (I am in the States).

5. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Aha. Thanks for the update.

Just out of interest does anyone have a link to an announcement from the G where they state that this requirement has been done away with. Not that I doubt dw426, I'd just like to see what they had to say on the matter.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've been trying to find the same thing because up until I was informed here in the forum, I thought it still stood. I've not seen one shred of writing stating it's changed. But, I shall keep looking :)

7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

But they were in fact demanding it for a while. When I tried.....and I tried twice just to make sure......they would not let me set it up. They said that if I did not have a mobile phone then I could use a friend's phone that allowed text. That was the only way. But I am glad that they no longer require it.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

And I am the walrus....goo goo ga joop!:cool:

Sorry. Something just came over me.:p

9. tlu

tlu Guest

I don't know what happened to Fly. But I've been using GMX since 1997, and I can assure you that they are trustworthy. They are the biggest or one of the biggest German email providers. I doubt that gmx.com handles things different than gmx.net.

10. Creer

Creer Registered Member

11. tsec

tsec Registered Member

I have now pretty well retired my gmail accounts and have moved them over to gmx.

So far so good.

12. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Do you mean gmx.com or gmx.net?
    I ask because on gmx.com I am unable to create account (popup error) with blank space o_O

13. tsec

tsec Registered Member

gmx.com works fine for me - I have had no issues with it at all. You sure you dont have anything giving the page grief, like NoScript?

Have just seen gmx.net - shopping, entertainment, games etc... ewwww :/

14. tsec

tsec Registered Member

BTW, I just had a look at setting up a fresh account at gmx.com and seems fine.

15. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.