WAN IP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Marco_CH, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marco_CH

Marco_CH Registered Member

Hello :)

Since my home network is running quite smoothly ive only one question left for the moment. It concerns a WAN IP:

My network looks like that:

adsl modem --> smc router --> computer + access point

when I enter the smc interface i see this (plz check picture):

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/3099/wan1wf.th.jpg

Since I use a filesharing program I have to forward ports to make it work well. For this I had to create Pinhole Entries in my Netopia ADSL Modem. There I edit the ports I want to forward. To get it work I found out that I have to forward them to 192.168.1.55 (WAN IP from the picture).

I found this out by thinking logically. I believe that this WAN IP is the IP of my SMC Router. I assume this is correct?

My problem now is: I had to switch off my Router for a while and when I turned it back on I noticed that this WAN IP has changed. It used to be xxx.xxx.x.56 but now it is xxx.xxx.x.55 as shown in the picture.

I have no idea why this changed. Of course there must be some easy and logical explanation but I dont know it due to my lack of knowledge in this kind of things :)

My question is: Is there a way to make that IP permanent? Meaning: Whenever I switch it off and back on I would like to have the same IP as before because if not I need to change the entries in my Netopia Modem to get the port forwarding to work.

Sorry for the big text.

Many thanks and kind regards
    Marco

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi Marco,

What model is the SMC?

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

I take it the modem is also acting as a router/doing NAT?
    If so, is there a particular reason you are using the SMC router?

The SMC is likely getting it's WAN IP (which is still a private range address) via DHCP from the modem/router.

Check the configuration options of the SMC to see if you can configure a static WAN IP and not have it obtained via DHCP.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Good advice, and I concur. ;)

5. Marco_CH

Marco_CH Registered Member

thanks for the helpful answers

I think it solved the problem :)

thanks

Regards
    Marco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.